Splash Academy Capacity on Breakaway?

Does anyone know what the maximum capacity of the Splash Academy is on the Norwegian Breakaway? Also, for purposes of when we are doing things altogether, as well as if my boys get turned away at splash Academy, what are some family activities you would recommend besides the pool and water slides?

In view of what I've read about the limit being 76 children at a time on the Gem (in a live thread, on the current sailing), I'd like to plan ahead and prepare my sons for the possibility of being turned away due to what the limit is combined with a lot of children onboard when we sail Breakaway in July. They love going to Splash Academy for all the activities and meeting other children, so they will be disappointed if they don't get a chance to do that. It would be better if we could let them down easy before we even sail.

Before that thread was closed, several people are sailing the Getaway and Breakaway soon and said they would report back.

Hopefully the Escape's much larger Splash Academy will not be an issue either.

Does anyone know what the maximum capacity of the Splash Academy is on the Norwegian Breakaway? Also, for purposes of when we are doing things altogether, as well as if my boys get turned away at splash Academy, what are some family activities you would recommend besides the pool and water slides?

In view of what I've read about the limit being 76 children at a time on the Gem (in a live thread, on the current sailing), I'd like to plan ahead and prepare my sons for the possibility of being turned away due to what the limit is combined with a lot of children onboard when we sail Breakaway in July. They love going to Splash Academy for all the activities and meeting other children, so they will be disappointed if they don't get a chance to do that. It would be better if we could let them down easy before we even sail.

There are lots of activities on board. Ropes course, spider climb, bungee trampoline, rock climbing, mini golf, arcade. And those are just the "non-scheduled" activities. There are many things scheduled throughout the day that are family friendly, often with a Nickelodeon theme: Character meet and greets, trivia contests, crafts (my daugher decorated a sponge bob tee shirt on our last cruise tha she loves, during a craft activity held away from Splash academy). Search from some samples of dailies to give you an idea of the many available activities.

Unless they have changed things, which is possible, Breakaway is pretty good about trying to plan for the capacity that they have on board. We were on 2 peak sailings with high volumes of kids, and many of the Splash Academy activities were held away from the club in order to accommodate larger groups. That said, she was turned away one night when her age group was meeting at the club. FWIW, however, my daughter didn't like the bigger gatherings. She found the group too large, and would often call/text me on iconcierge to come get her within 40 minutes of dropping her off.

We have been to both the Gem and the Breakaway and the Splash Academy area on the Breakaway is a lot bigger so hopefully you won't have the same problem.

Aside from the pools and the kids club, my daughter (7 years old) also enjoyed the activities on the Sports Deck. They have the ropes course and the mini ropes course for smaller kids. They also have the trampoline and the climbing thingy where they can slide down when they reach the top. (sorry, I forgot the name).

The trampoline is very popular and we have experienced some wait during port days. About 10-15 mins, so not so bad.

We also attended the balloon twisting workshop, cupcake decorating and some arts and crafts.

I hope this helps.

Edited by aquarianne11

Does anyone known if the new maximum capacity rule applies to the guppies age group as well (6 months to 2 years)? This age group requires a parent or guardian to be with the child during activities so I'm wondering if it's either exempt from the new rule or if the parent is included since this rule seems to be more about fire/safety rules as opposed to employee to child ratio max capacity rules as applied to each age group.

I was on the Getaway May 9-16, and this ship is the sister ship of Breakaway. The kids club is very large, with two levels. There were way more than 76 kids in there. I would say including 3-12 there were well over 100 in there. I was very happy with Splash Academy. I'm sure there is a capacity limit on this ship but they were very well staffed and there was plenty of space. I think Breakaway will be similar.

My boys are 8 and 10.

On the Jewel, sister ship of the Gem, I do remember the kids club being pretty small. We had to go inside to register the boys on the first day.

I like it that in addition to the Splash Academy on a Breakaway being two levels, they have had activities elsewhere on the ship to accommodate a lot of children.

I will look into the dailies and see which family activities we would like. We did some of the Nickelodeon themed activities on the Jewel and enjoyed it very much, a few years ago. Sounds like a lot of fun and no boredom at all on this ship even if they don't always get to go to the kids club!

My boys are 8 and 10.

On the Jewel, sister ship of the Gem, I do remember the kids club being pretty small. We had to go inside to register the boys on the first day.

I like it that in addition to the Splash Academy on a Breakaway being two levels, they have had activities elsewhere on the ship to accommodate a lot of children.

I will look into the dailies and see which family activities we would like. We did some of the Nickelodeon themed activities on the Jewel and enjoyed it very much, a few years ago. Sounds like a lot of fun and no boredom at all on this ship even if they don't always get to go to the kids club!

You should still try to register them on the first day. In fact, I recommend that you make it one of the first things you do before the line gets long, but either way it will save you a lot of chaos later.

You have a great attitude about all of this, and I wish you a wonderful cruise. :)

You should still try to register them on the first day. In fact, I recommend that you make it one of the first things you do before the line gets long, but either way it will save you a lot of chaos later.

You have a great attitude about all of this, and I wish you a wonderful cruise. :)

Thank you!

We are definitely planning to register them right away. I read on a BA review from a passenger that just returned the other day, that they had a table in the cruise terminal so parents could register their kids before boarding. We will definitely look for that table when we arrive.

I do hope they can go to the kids club at least sometimes. Here comes the spoiled part of me...DH and I love the thermal suite and we like to go in the afternoon while the kids are at the afternoon kids club activities. I hope we could still do that. The pass costs $199 per person for the length of the cruise and that's a lot of money to spend on something we may or may not be able to use. We go on vacation as a family to spend time with our kids, but there's also nothing wrong with doing something just the two of us while the boys have fun doing their own activities at the kids club!

We were on Breakaway the week before Easter. There were apparently 1300 kids on board, and we were shocked when we saw that Splash Academy capacity was just less than 200 (can't remember the exact amount, but I think it was something like 189).

However, we only heard of it reaching capacity on two or three nights. The first night filled up as everyone wants to give it a shot (get there early), and the last day it fills up because people want their kids to participate in the show. Otherwise they may have filled up on the second to the last night...but I can't remember for sure.

That being said, if you know you want to participate during one of those busy times, just make sure you get there when they open (or a bit ahead of time) and you should be fine! We used it every day and were never turned away. Have fun!

Edited by douglasap8

8 and 10 are great ages to play board games. We bring dominoes, dice and cards. I wouldn't count on the ship having full sets. Uno, skip Bo and travel Yahtzee. Your kids playing in an open area would prob attract others boys the same age to join them. Fingers crossed for y'all for plenty of room in splash academy!!

8 and 10 are great ages to play board games. We bring dominoes, dice and cards. I wouldn't count on the ship having full sets. Uno, skip Bo and travel Yahtzee. Your kids playing in an open area would prob attract others boys the same age to join them. Fingers crossed for y'all for plenty of room in splash academy!!

We always bring a deck of cards as well as Uno whenever we go on vacation! It is nice to relax and play a game sometimes. One time when we were in Washington, DC on the way back from Florida, there was a really bad storm and the power went out in the afternoon. The hotel had a generator so the lobby area had lights. We went down there to the area where they serve breakfast in the morning, and we played cards together. It was a nice way to pass the time, annoying as the blackout was on the last day of a vacation! We had no power for 8 hours but we survived!

We were on Breakaway the week before Easter. There were apparently 1300 kids on board, and we were shocked when we saw that Splash Academy capacity was just less than 200 (can't remember the exact amount, but I think it was something like 189).

However, we only heard of it reaching capacity on two or three nights. The first night filled up as everyone wants to give it a shot (get there early), and the last day it fills up because people want their kids to participate in the show. Otherwise they may have filled up on the second to the last night...but I can't remember for sure.

That being said, if you know you want to participate during one of those busy times, just make sure you get there when they open (or a bit ahead of time) and you should be fine! We used it every day and were never turned away. Have fun!

Wow that's a small percentage that fills it to capacity. I'm sure plenty of kids use the water park and pool during the day though, and I definitely anticipate it to be more crowded in the evenings. DH and I reserved two shows, and hoping we can make it to see them!

Thank you!

We are definitely planning to register them right away. I read on a BA review from a passenger that just returned the other day, that they had a table in the cruise terminal so parents could register their kids before boarding. We will definitely look for that table when we arrive.

I do hope they can go to the kids club at least sometimes. Here comes the spoiled part of me...DH and I love the thermal suite and we like to go in the afternoon while the kids are at the afternoon kids club activities. I hope we could still do that. The pass costs $199 per person for the length of the cruise and that's a lot of money to spend on something we may or may not be able to use. We go on vacation as a family to spend time with our kids, but there's also nothing wrong with doing something just the two of us while the boys have fun doing their own activities at the kids club!

I never saw a table in the terminal, but maybe that's an improvement that they've made to move things along. If so, that's great.

You are not spoiled for wanting to spend some adult time on board the ship. I am a single mom, and very much need my "me time" when traveling with dd. It's one of the reasons I choose to cruise - so that we can spend time both together and apart. That makes it a far more enjoyable vacation for us both! The Thermal Suite on the Breakaway is absolutely heavenly. I LOVE those tile loungers! I found that if I went around 3 or 4 pm, I usually had run of the place and didn't have to worry about waiting for anything or limiting my time because others were waiting.

I never saw a table in the terminal, but maybe that's an improvement that they've made to move things along. If so, that's great.

You are not spoiled for wanting to spend some adult time on board the ship. I am a single mom, and very much need my "me time" when traveling with dd. It's one of the reasons I choose to cruise - so that we can spend time both together and apart. That makes it a far more enjoyable vacation for us both! The Thermal Suite on the Breakaway is absolutely heavenly. I LOVE those tile loungers! I found that if I went around 3 or 4 pm, I usually had run of the place and didn't have to worry about waiting for anything or limiting my time because others were waiting.

We did the thermal suite on the Carnival Splendor two years ago and I absolutely fell in love with those tile loungers! At first I looked at them and thought to myself, that can't be comfortable. But once I tried it I was completely hooked! I like going either late morning or in the afternoon while the kids are at the kids club. DH and I spent one hour every day in the thermal suite on our 2013 carnival cruise. It's just so relaxing and much needed.

Yes, as a single mom you definitely need some adult only time. My sister was a single parent for years (remarried now for two years and has a beautiful baby boy...everyone is cruising with us!), and I don't know how she did everything. But she did and she made it look so easy too!

I really can't wait for this cruise. I need a vacation so badly. :)