Crystal river cruises to redeploy two new builds to rhine & danube rivers

Keith1010

We are on one of the impacted cruises.

Keith

============================================

CRYSTAL RIVER CRUISES TO REDEPLOY TWO NEW BUILDS TO RHINE & DANUBE RIVERS

Based on guests’ demand, Crystal Debussy and Crystal Ravel to be redesigned to offer more larger suites and amenities.

LOS ANGELES, July 28, 2016 – Following the successful launch of its first luxury river yacht, Crystal Mozart, Crystal River Cruises, “The World’s Only Luxury River Cruise Line™” announced today that it will increase its presence in the Danube, Main and Rhine Rivers, deploying four of its planned new build river yachts in the region over the next two years (2017 & 2018). Based on guest feedback lauding the itineraries planned in Germany, Austria, Belgium, Amsterdam and Holland, the company has elected to delay its entrance into the French river cruise market, choosing instead to prioritize its offerings in the German/Austrian region in order to meet travelers’ demand for those experiences. The shift in focus means redesigning and enlarging the two Paris-Class river yachts, Crystal Debussy and Crystal Ravel, as Rhine-Class river yachts, and redeploying them east in 2018.

Previously, Crystal Debussy and Crystal Ravel were to travel along the Seine, Rhone and Dordogne Rivers in France beginning in June and August, 2017 respectively.

“Unlike an ocean-going ship that can accommodate a change in itinerary with short notice, a river ship operates within more confined parameters and is unable to reroute easily,” says Crystal’s CEO and president, Edie Rodriguez. “We are listening carefully to what travelers are telling us and have concluded that the best way to anticipate, meet and surpass their expectations is by making this move earlier than later.”

As is Crystal’s custom, the luxury cruise line is going to great lengths to protect guests who have already booked 2017 voyages on Crystal Debussy and Crystal Ravel, offering incentives including:

Crystal Debussy guests choose from one of the following:

Crystal Mozart voyage and $750 shipboard credit per person, plus $500 per person future cruise credit*;

Crystal Bach voyage and $500 future cruise credit per person*;

A 2017 Crystal Esprit voyage (7-night), plus $750 per person shipboard credit and $500 per person future cruise credit*;

A veranda room for a 2017 Crystal Symphony European voyage (up to 14 days) and $500 per person future cruise credit*;

$1,000 per person future cruise credit to apply toward any other 2017 Crystal Experience (booked at prevailing rates).

Crystal Ravel guests choose from one of the following:

Crystal Mozart voyage and $500 per person future cruise credit*;

A 2017 Crystal Esprit voyage (7-night), $750 per person shipboard credit plus $500 per person future cruise credit*;

A veranda room for a 2017 Crystal Symphony European cruise (up to 10 days) and $500 per person future cruise credit*;

$1,000 per person future cruise credit to apply toward any other 2017 Crystal Experience (booked at prevailing rates).

*Valid for 18 months and can only be used towards a second Crystal experience beyond the one chosen as an alternate to the Crystal Debussy or Crystal Ravel booking.

The redesign and subsequent redeployment of Crystal Debussy and Crystal Ravel translates to more options, space and onboard amenities for travelers, as the river yachts will be increased in size from 110 meters to 135 meters, the maximum size permissible on the Rhine, Main and Danube rivers. The increased length allows for the addition of a swimming pool with a sliding glass roof and more of the ship’s larger suites, which range in size up to 759 square feet.

The new design places the ships as part of the line’s 106-guest Rhine-class series currently comprising Crystal Bach and Crystal Mahler, which are due to enter service June 18 and August 29, 2017, respectively. Crystal Debussy and Crystal Ravel will be set for maiden voyages in April, 2018 and May, 2018 respectively with detailed itineraries to be announced shortly.

All four luxury river yachts will offer Crystal guests luxurious amenities that surpass the comforts of home, including Crystal’s acclaimed butler service for every suite, plush king-sized beds that face toward the Panoramic Balcony-Windows, walk-in closets, dual vanity in the bathrooms, ETRO robes and slippers, wall-mounted flat-screen HD TVs, and Nespresso machines. Additional enticing features include Crystal’s highly-acclaimed cuisine in multiple eateries: the elegant Waterside Restaurant, namesake Bistro cafés and the exclusive Vintage Room; Cove Bar and Palm Court.

I already got this news but thanks for posting for others who did not.

Miles, wondering how you got the news.

Only asking because we are booked on the first cruise and didn't get the news until I read the press release.

Keith

Miles, wondering how you got the news.

Only asking because we are booked on the first cruise and didn't get the news until I read the press release.

Keith

Keith,

I,was just about to post the following press release that I just read on the travel weekly website:

http://www.travelweekly.com/River-Cruising/Crystal-opts-not-to-deploy-river-yachts-in-France

The date on this today!!! The official crystal cruises press release you just posted is not yet in the media section on crystal's website yet.

I suspect that this redeployment of the 2 Paris class river boats for 2017 was primarily done because of the horrific terrorist attracts occurring in France. Travel to France is significantly down in many sectors of travel business.

Nancy

Edited by nancygp

I got the same press release as you did to my inbox. I thought it would be blasted to anyone affected. I know a few people at Crystal as well but this should be given to anyone planning or booked on these future cruises. Crystal did a good job at least notifying people who were booked.;)

Edited by Suite Travels

Keith,

I,was just about to post the following press release that I just read on the travel weekly website:

http://www.travelweekly.com/River-Cruising/Crystal-opts-not-to-deploy-river-yachts-in-France

The date on this today!!! The official crystal cruises press release you just posted is not yet in the media section on crystal's website yet.

Nancy

Nancy, you are correct. It is not in the media or website as of yet. I also get travel weeklyI subscribe to them. Back in the day when I worked PT for a TA we got the hard copies. Now it is electronic on a daily basis

Edited by Suite Travels

I Crystal did a good job at least notifying people who were booked.;)

Why do you say that?

Actually I am booked on the inaugural cruise and if not for getting the press release I would not have necessarily known today.

Timing actually not good and you know how positive I am.

So the next time I am accused of wearing rose colored glasses..............

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

Interesting. Had a chat with our Crystal BDM a while ago who said there would be two more river ships launched in 2018 (for a total of six), so it looks like they have decided to re-purpose these two, then put the 2018 newbuikds in France. Another interesting piece of information is that the first new ocean ship will enter service in Q1 2019 and minimum suite size will be 400 Sq Ft. No other details available as yet though.

Why do you say that?

Actually I am booked on the inaugural cruise and if not for getting the press release I would not have necessarily known today.

So the next time I am accused of wearing rose colored glasses..............

Keith

Well Keith, Nancy and I read it and I assume others saw it as well. This is why I will never book inaugural cruises so far out on new builds as the timelines most likely will change. Another reason we will not go on one is that the service will not be totally up to Crystal standards and will have some kinks that may disappoint some guests expecting the Crystal experience. This happens with all inaugural cruises on any line. We do not need to be the first in line.

Edited by Suite Travels

At 4:21 PM CDT today the cruise calendars on the Crystal website still list the French river cruises for 2017. They probably should have corrected that before issuing press releases. Guess that's another case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing which has happened before with Crystal corporate. :cool:

Patty

Well Keith, Nancy and I read it and I assume others saw it as well. This is why I will never book inaugural cruises so far out on new builds as the timelines most likely will change. Another reason we will not go on one is that the service will not be totally up to Crystal standards and will have some kinks that may disappoint some guests expecting the Crystal experience. This happens with all inaugural cruises on any line. We do not need to be the first in line.

Miles,

I did not read the press release that came directly from crystal, what I read and posted came from the travel weekly website I was looking at in the last hour.

Just curious how you and Keith have the official crystal press release from a little earlier today as it is not yet in the media section on crystals website. I'm assuming you all either got it from your travel agents or from crystal directly.

Nancy

Edited by nancygp

So the next time I am accused of wearing rose colored glasses.............

Keith

Gee Keith - you and rose coloured (actually more Crystal coloured) - who would have guessed...

Anyway by my reckoning that's now 3 from 3 for Crystal from the grand plans

• New Build Ocean ship delayed...
  • Crystal Air delayed....
  • River Yachts delayed....

guess that leaves Endeavo(u)r to slip

At least the good old Crystal Symphony and Serenity keep delivering to us

Time will tell I guess

. Another interesting piece of information is that the first new ocean ship will enter service in Q1 2019 and minimum suite size will be 400 Sq Ft. No other details available as yet though.

This is great news. But where did you find it? I can't seem to find this in the press release. The balance of the 2019 ocean itineraries should probably be announced shortly. I and friends are eager to book the new Exclusive Class ship.

Miles,

I did not read the press release that came directly from crystal, what I read and posted came from the travel weekly website I was looking at in the last hour.

Just curious how you and Keith have the official crystal press release from a little earlier today as it is not yet in the media section on crystals website. I'm assuming you all either got it from your travel agents or from crystal directly.

Nancy

From Crystal directly and our TA and I do not read all of them. Our TA gets them very fast as well since we are looking at future river cruises and they are selling a lot of them. I also, like you read Travel Weekly and thought this is going to change many peoples plans.

I get Crystal updates all the time but I just figure everyone else is getting the same information maybe I am wrong or perhaps I am one of the chosen few and did not know it. I have met many Crystal executives over the years but I have never asked them to keep me privately updated on anything and never would but I get them. A PR announcement is for the public for all to read nothing more some people are quick on the trigger and love to be the first to post news. I for one don't have time to read every e-mail that comes in including my personal stuff. I would be killed if I stayed on the computer all day and night and my social life would suffer as well as my relationship. To each his/her own.

Edited by Suite Travels

This is great news. But where did you find it? I can't seem to find this in the press release. The balance of the 2019 ocean itineraries should probably be announced shortly. I and friends are eager to book the new Exclusive Class ship.

It is a long wait but I am sure it will be worth it. Just stay healthy!

Miles, my point was that you said that it was handled well and not sure what you based this on.

I do think the communications could have been handled better. Specifically, TA's involved a few days before any other communications were made.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

We were booked on Debussy for September 2017 and I received an email from my cruise consultant at Crystal today at 3:30pm regarding the Crystal Debussy Redisign and Redeployment. I don't use a travel agent as I have had a really positive experience booking directly with Crystal and am offered generous onboard credits. The offered incentives to book another itinerary are nice, but I really wanted to cruise the Seine.

Edited by morneau

Keith, they got the information at the same time. Don't blame the TA. Corporate needs to approve the PR release before disseminated to anyone including TA's. It probably was done in a blast e-mail. I would assume Roland got it as well.

Keith, they got the information at the same time. Don't blame the TA. Corporate needs to approve the PR release before disseminated to anyone including TA's. It probably was done in a blast e-mail. I would assume Roland got it as well.

Miles maybe I am not communicating.

So let me try one more time.

You said it was handled well by Crystal.

To me it was not.

The TA's should have heard today and then they should have given the TA's a few days to get the information out before announcing it in a press release.

I am not blaming the TA.

Keith

Keith,

I suspect that this redeployment of the 2 Paris class river boats for 2017 was primarily done because of the horrific terrorist attracts occurring in France. Travel to France is significantly down in many sectors of travel business.

Nancy

I highly doubt it is due to consumer feedback already given only 100+/- people could have sailed Mozart at this point. It has everything to do with terrorism and people wanting to avoid Belgium and France like the plague(Never mind the attacks have happened elsewhere and may happen anywhere anytime. It just isn't such good pr to admit that publically I suspect

It is a long wait but I am sure it will be worth it. Just stay healthy!

Thanks for the good wishes. But my question was where the poster had confirmation of Q1 2019 launch of the first Exclusive ship. The silence about this matter has been puzzling to me. Ocean cruises are the heart of Crystal. Or were. And it seems as if priority is being given to other enterprises.

Miles, my point was that you said that it was handled well and not sure what you based this on.

I do think the communications could have been handled better. Specifically, TA's involved a few days before any other communications were made.

Keith

Keith, do you honestly think the TA will provide you with any inside information? I doubt they get anything prior to an approved press release. Leaking this information ahead of time is much like insider trading in the stock market and you would have an advantage over the "Others."

This news disappoints many but at least it was not done at the last minute and people can rearrange their plans and that is a good thing.

Thanks for the good wishes. But my question was where the poster had confirmation of Q1 2019 launch of the first Exclusive ship. The silence about this matter has been puzzling to me. Ocean cruises are the heart of Crystal. Or were. And it seems as if priority is being given to other enterprises.

My thoughts exactly.

Keith, do you honestly think the TA will provide you with any inside information? I doubt they get anything prior to an approved press release. Leaking this information ahead of time is much like insider trading in the stock market and you would have an advantage over the "Others."

This news disappoints many but at least it was not done at the last minute and people can rearrange their plans and that is a good thing.

Miles, I will try one final time.

I don't expect insider information.

What I would have done is

1. Communicate it to TA's today as was done.

2. Today or tomorrow update the web site.

3. Wait a few days and then issue a press release rather than doing it today because some people might hear first from others who saw a press release before their TA got a chance to communicate it.

OK. Time to move on.

Since we already booked the airfare to Paris R/T for the cruise just about a week ago I am now looking at alternatives.

Life is good and we love Crystal Cruises and look forward to boarding Serenity very soon.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

I'm a TA and I was given the information by a Crystal Business Development Manager a few weeks ago. That does NOT mean it is cast in stone, but it is from a Crystal source. I really would not be too concerned about the lack of "public" information on the new ocean ships. As Vince has pointed out, designing a completely new class of ship is not a "back of the envelope" job, and takes a lot of time. With recent newbuild construction times running in the +/- 18 months range, a Q1 2019 launch means a start to construction sometime in the first half of 2017, so there is still lots of time for Crystal to unveil the new ship design.