Use of power strips on Koningsdam

bobpatj

I've found a lot of information about the Koningsdam except for this. Are there more than the usual 2 places to plug in your devices as in other HAL ships' cabins? On our last cruise, our power strip was confiscated and we had to get one from the front desk and get ours back, at the end of the cruise. Thanks for any information about this. :)

I really don't blame them for confiscating it. So many in the Market are fire hazards. Having seen then short out on ships I worked on, they need to be careful. When I cruise in Hal ships, I bring a 3 way cube that plugs into the outlet. Outlets in cabins are only for low draw electrical items, phone, camera chargers and the like.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Outlets in cabins are only for low draw electrical items, phone, camera chargers and the like.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would beg to differ with you on this. The outlets, wiring, and circuit are rated at 15 or 20 amps, just like any outlet circuit in your home or office on land. What the problem is, is that several cabins are on the same circuit, so if 3-4 ladies decide to fire up the "turbocharged" hair dryers at the same time, the circuit will pop. But there is no danger of fire from using a high wattage appliance like a hair dryer in a cabin outlet.

My friend brings a heating pad and asks the steward to run a ship's extension cord to the bed which he does. The extension cord is a heavy duty one which he tapes down to the floor so she won't trip on the cord.

Please, correct me if I am wrong Koningsdam veterans, but I remember only USB plugs next to the bed. Am I right?

My friend brings a heating pad and asks the steward to run a ship's extension cord to the bed which he does. The extension cord is a heavy duty one which he tapes down to the floor so she won't trip on the cord.

Please, correct me if I am wrong Koningsdam veterans, but I remember only USB plugs next to the bed. Am I right?

You are correct!

You are correct!

This is what I posted on HalFacts within a day or so of leaving the Koningsdam:

The nightstand has 1 US power outlet along with 1 USB charger port.

I was in one of the new singles cabins.

Unfortunately it doesn't show in the pictures

Rich

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49733186&postcount=3

It looks like 4 110 outlets and 3 usb charging points.

In a standard VE (8138) I think there was a power outlet with a USB port over each nightstand, so that makes five 110 outlets, two 220, and three USB. Plus the bathroom "shaver" outlet. Edited by catl331

Holland has approved surge strips at the front desk.

They may have approved power strips, but I doubt they have surge protected ones. Surge protectors are not needed onboard ships (none of the ship's electronics have surge protection), and marine type surge protectors are very expensive, and I've never seen one in a consumer type power strip.

Okay-colour me stupid but can I just plug the heating pad in in next to the bed?

Only if the cabin has an outlet next to the bed. Most of the cabins, on most of the ships do not have an outlet near the bed; they are at the desk.

I have never not needed an extension cord to plug in something needed by my bed on a HAL ship.

If you read what is and is not allowed aboard HAL ships,

The following is stated and clearly mentions heat pads are not allowed. As it is a source of heat

• Hookah and Water Hookah Pipes, candles and incense, strike-anywhere matches, clothing irons/steamers, heating pads, hot plates, kettles, coffee makers, toasters and other electronic cooking appliances.
  • Alcohol in violation of the company alcohol policy.
  • All illegal drugs, including medications without proper prescriptions. This includes legal intoxicant synthetic or “designer” drugs also known as “Legal Highs” such as Lysergamides, Opioids, Methoxetamine, Synthetic Cannabis, Betel Nuts or Kava (Cava).

If you read what is and is not allowed aboard HAL ships,

The following is stated and clearly mentions heat pads are not allowed. As it is a source of heat

• Hookah and Water Hookah Pipes, candles and incense, strike-anywhere matches, clothing irons/steamers, heating pads, hot plates, kettles, coffee makers, toasters and other electronic cooking appliances.
  • Alcohol in violation of the company alcohol policy.
  • All illegal drugs, including medications without proper prescriptions. This includes legal intoxicant synthetic or “designer” drugs also known as “Legal Highs” such as Lysergamides, Opioids, Methoxetamine, Synthetic Cannabis, Betel Nuts or Kava (Cava).

I see that it says kettles are not allowed. Is this new? I have always taken my travel kettle.

Hi Ruth C. Love your posts. Maybe you've found a reason to try Koningsdam! Would love to meet you someday.

Thank you so much for your kind words, Sheila.

I canceled a Koningsdam cruise last year in order to get a new knee (great decision), and haven't seen another cruise on that ship that tempts me. Perhaps we will meet someday, though. Just keep cruising!