Many Desires, But Not Enough Time? Juneau Tours Help Needed

brendanspop

We are going to be in Juneau between 12-9 on a Sunday. Looking to do a Whale Watch, a visit to the Mendenhall Glacier and a bit of learning at the Salmon Hatchery. The catch is the hatchery closes at 5 pm on Sundays. What is the best way logistics wise to accomplish the three tours (whales, glacier and hatchery)? We are traveling with two children 12 and under so desirable transportation is important too. Thanks,

When is this cruise? Most efficient would be to rent a car, then go to the Hatchery first, then find a whale watch in the later afternoon, then stop at Mendenhall. This is assuming you are going next year? In season? Not later August/Sept?

just did this--

8a off ship off to rental car- we walked

9a- Mendenhall glacier- hiked to nugget falls then back to car

1045 arrived auke bay for whale watch-

11-1330 whale watch- outstanding, bubble net feeding, great weather

1345-1600 back to Mendenhall glacier- hiked other trails around Mendenhall and visitors center, movie

~1615. 1 hour at salmon hatchery

~1715-1830 1.5 hours at glacier gardens

returned rental car and back to ship

it was a fun day but I posted elsewhere as well that I wish we would have done the ice caves tour/hike at Mendenhall vs whales-- but probably because we have went whale watching many times in many places. our day was fun above but the ice caves are more limited

just did this--

8a off ship off to rental car- we walked

9a- Mendenhall glacier- hiked to nugget falls then back to car

1045 arrived auke bay for whale watch-

11-1330 whale watch- outstanding, bubble net feeding, great weather

1345-1600 back to Mendenhall glacier- hiked other trails around Mendenhall and visitors center, movie

~1615. 1 hour at salmon hatchery

~1715-1830 1.5 hours at glacier gardens

returned rental car and back to ship

it was a fun day but I posted elsewhere as well that I wish we would have done the ice caves tour/hike at Mendenhall vs whales-- but probably because we have went whale watching many times in many places. our day was fun above but the ice caves are more limited

Their port time is a noon arrival. Big difference.

you first need to find out what whale watches are available and the times. If you can find a 1:30p would be ideal.

Are you open to a car rental? Likely, do a quick stop at the Hatchery- frankly all you need is a look at the ladder, if not time for the museum.

After the whale watch, go to Mendenhall. Spend the time you wish.

If you get a 3:30p whale watch, then go to both the Hatchery and glacier first.

Their port time is a noon arrival. Big difference.

Respectfully disagree .

Yes different times but I was just posting the timeframe for a general sense- hard to give a recommendation without all the whale watch times

They have 9 hours and we did what they were looking for in 9 hours and possibly a little more hiking than they might be interested. the start time differs, but one can move the puzzle pieces around.

The OP mentioned they wanted to do some learning at the hatchery- my kids enjoyed the tour. Not sure what the OP goals are but possibly a little shy of an hour would possibly be more optimal- we were there about an hour- looking at the ladders, tour, mini museum, touch pool inside, etc. they could have easily stayed inside for longer looking at the fish

OP- you need to find out all your options for whale watch times-depending on where they fall- if things are tight you may be better off shuttle and taxi vs rental car.- we had a cushion for rental car being easy.

Visitor center is 8-730 and salmon hatchery as you are aware if 5p close

there is a evening whale watch at 5p that can have you back to ship by 9p- you could easily go to hatchery- then to Mendenhall then auke bay.

Thank you, both. We are open to a car rental if it is within reasonable walking distance for a 10 year old and doesn't take too much time out of our limited day.

Latest whale watch I seem to be able to find for Sunday is 3-330.

Don't know what a salmon ladder is, but now more intrigued to see it.

Any other details I can provide? Let me know. Thanks again.

Looks like you will be at A dock so makes you very lucky to conveniently get to Juneau car rental- its in the parking lot of your dock. I would call them ASAP to see if they have cars available and make a reservation- you can aways cancel later depending on final decision.

*I would get rental car- then go straight to salmon hatchery. 13min(5mile) for about an hour or so-

*then go to Mendenhall 17min- (9 miles) - Visitors center for about an hour- you won't have much more time to do anything else. depending on how much time you have based on time at hatchery--- nugget falls hike is about 45-60min for most people. 2 miles Round trip- visitors guide says 1 hour- we probably walked it in 35-40 but stayed out there for 30-45 min

*Auke bay is about 10min (5mile).

if you do the 3p whales- I would go back to Mendenhall to do whatever you didn't do earlier- either nugget falls or steep creek trail or both depending on your interest. our kids did the Junior ranger program- but that is typically between 10-4p outside- but don't quote me on those times- I just know wasn't available when we first went out last trip but after whale watch they were available. still might have been available in the visitors center though--Im just not sure.

Auke bay to A dock is 25min (13 miles)

mendenhall FAQ

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3835583.pdf

If you can get evening whale watch that will make hatchery and glacier visit less time constrained but might make for a rush back to the ship- where I maybe would consider the ships evening whale tour vs independent if the time is super tight.

Have you definitely exhausted all whale watch vendor options with independents and 3p is only one and is that 3p at AUke Bay or at A dock?

if you do drive yourself- Auke bay parking lot can be a bit crazy at times and you might have a bit of a walk -- make sure you allow enough time to park- pay for parking and then to designated meet up space.

I personally would prefer a whale watch at the beginning or end of port time but you can definitely make 3p work and have a great day. everything is relatively close even if you end up driving to Mendenhall twice like we did

Thank you, both. We are open to a car rental if it is within reasonable walking distance for a 10 year old and doesn't take too much time out of our limited day.

I found an evening whale watch online for 5p. on 8/27

my twins are almost 10- it was me and the two of them. we walked from Franklin dock to Juneau car rental and it was fine but you don't even have to walk more than just across a parking to :)

my kids love fish -- we could have easily been at the hatchery for 1.5-2 hrs but 1 hour is enough-- the tour may be boring for some kids but since they are obsessed with fish they listened attentively

also if you 10 yr old is similar to my twins-- you will want 90min or so for nugget falls if you can swing the time. they wanted to explore off on side trails and hop across the river bed on the rocks vs stay on the trail.

This is a good reminder for those booking cruises to look at the port times before you book a specific cruise!

I once had a 2 pm arrival into Juneau and it was not as productive as a full 8-8 day in Juneau. I learned the hard way.

There are several people who are posting that they are struggling with getting the excursions they want with these late arrivals.

Look at the whole itinerary before you book with what you want to do!! It will help in future when planning excursions. Juneau has so much to offer. This is the port I personally want the most time there.

Thank you for the note about the 5 pm whale watch. Need to figure out which tour co. offers that one.

I found an evening whale watch online for 5p. on 8/27

my twins are almost 10- it was me and the two of them. we walked from Franklin dock to Juneau car rental and it was fine but you don't even have to walk more than just across a parking to :)

my kids love fish -- we could have easily been at the hatchery for 1.5-2 hrs but 1 hour is enough-- the tour may be boring for some kids but since they are obsessed with fish they listened attentively

Was able to secure a car rental (mid-size, approx. $70) for the day through Juneau Car Rental.

So plan will be to go to Salmon Hatchery, then Mendenhall Glacier then we will have to drive ourselves to Auke Bay for a whale watch. Now need to find a tour provider that we can just meet at Auke Bay. Right?

Was able to secure a car rental (mid-size, approx. $70) for the day through Juneau Car Rental.

So plan will be to go to Salmon Hatchery, then Mendenhall Glacier then we will have to drive ourselves to Auke Bay for a whale watch. Now need to find a tour provider that we can just meet at Auke Bay. Right?

Alaska toursaver app or coupon book has a whale watch buy one get one free in it- and last I saw the coupon book was down to $50- not sure if you would use it for anything else.

look on trip advisor for different companies or explore cruise critic for vendors- maybe start a new post asking for whale watch tours recommendations

OK here's what I'm thinking. Rent Car ASAP after 12 noon. Drive to hatchery. Explore. Drive to Glacier. Explore. Drive back to port - and return car. Then go to Mt. Roberts Tramway stop for whale watch?

Or would we drive ourselves to Auke Bay and hook up with a whale tour there?

OK here's what I'm thinking. Rent Car ASAP after 12 noon. Drive to hatchery. Explore. Drive to Glacier. Explore. Drive back to port - and return car. Then go to Mt. Roberts Tramway stop for whale watch?

you would likely go to auke bay on your own- the only reason I would go back to cruise ship mt Roberts area is if I booked the evening whale and was worried about making it back to ship on time- if you aren't cutting it that close- I would keep the car till after whales- especially if you do the 3p whales- you will have time after whales to do something- more Mendenhall or whatever you choose.

if you can find a small boat to go out for evening whale vs large one- I like the smaller groups-

No it is a poor choice to back track in my opinion for the Mt Robert's Tram. IF you want to do that, do it before you pick up the car. Otherwise, just pay and park in the library parking garage. Street parking is scarce.

Also be VERY detailed with any evening whale watch. Some are shorter. Shorter means seeing less, simple math.

It is not a simple GPS to just put in Auke Bay, there are several slips, And some have pay parking. Get the exact one you need.

It is essential, you be ready and in line early to get off the ship. This port time will have everyone wanting off. Upon getting up the dock, to the street, turn right and walk past the buses to the corner, where Juneau Car Rental is. If you aren't at the front of the lines- you will have long waits.

Closing out the loop with my sincere gratitude to all who weighed in on my quest to show my sons as many highlights in Juneau as possible within the parameters of our port hours. We will be in port at noon and renting a car right at the port. From there we will drive to the salmon hatchery then mendenhall glacier. If possible we will grab a bite to eat at visitor center or on our way to auke bay, where we will meet up with a 5 pm whale watch cruise. If we are back in the car by 7:15, we should be able to return car at cruise port and be on ship before our 9 pm departure. I'm guessing all aboard will be around 8:30? Does that sound about right? Any recommendations on where to grab a bite to eat on the road and where we can get fuel to top off the tank? I'm trying to minimize unknowns at this point since we're trying to make the most of our hours in port.

Closing out the loop with my sincere gratitude to all who weighed in on my quest to show my sons as many highlights in Juneau as possible within the parameters of our port hours. We will be in port at noon and renting a car right at the port. From there we will drive to the salmon hatchery then mendenhall glacier. If possible we will grab a bite to eat at visitor center or on our way to auke bay, where we will meet up with a 5 pm whale watch cruise. If we are back in the car by 7:15, we should be able to return car at cruise port and be on ship before our 9 pm departure. I'm guessing all aboard will be around 8:30? Does that sound about right? Any recommendations on where to grab a bite to eat on the road and where we can get fuel to top off the tank? I'm trying to minimize unknowns at this point since we're trying to make the most of our hours in port.

fuel:

juneau gas stations-- just google it

Tesoro gas stations and many other

9102 Mendenhall road if you want to get fuel before auke bay- I know they recommend not topping off- but since you are fueling up a few miles out before return if you do this I would top off

920w 10th is where we fueled last visit-- this is where I recommend if getting fuel on way back to ship- its just a block off the road and easy to get back on your way

the first few times I rented a car in Juneau - I entered the destinations in my phone to make it easy driving around- WAYZ is easy to pre enter destinations for me- then I just select them and get on the road- helps make the driving in unknown areas easy

usually do this for any vacation we are taking in new areas