Konigsdam Oprah Sailing

JLBellaCC

We are considering books an 11 day sailing on the Konigsdam and I just noticed it is an Oprah sailing. I don't mind Oprah, but I also am concerned about the level the O activities that will be onboard and how they might affect the usual schedule and entertainment. Does anyone have a daily schedule from an O cruise? Or just some insight as to what we can expect day to day? I just want to ensure that we will not be disappointed- I am already a little worried about the less than stellar reviews for the ship. The itinerary is what drew us to this sailing.

Thank you, she will not be on this cruise- this would be like Oprah inspired programming- maybe some behind the scenes Oprah person might be on to present information- so I was wondering how immersive this Oprah stuff would be. As long as it doesn't overtake the regular evening entertainment, I would be fine. So just putting the question out there what other people have experienced.

I don't think you will be unhappy with the Koningsdam. It's aliitle bigger at 2800 passengers but we found the layout fine except morning in the Lido or what is now called Marketplace. We found at 8:00am it was hard to find a table a few times during our 21 day cruise.

I don't think you will be unhappy with the Koningsdam. It's aliitle bigger at 2800 passengers but we found the layout fine except morning in the Lido or what is now called Marketplace. We found at 8:00am it was hard to find a table a few times during our 21 day cruise.

And this is why I'm glad on our 14 day cruise on the Koningsdam we either went to the MDR or had room service on early tour days. The MDR was a relaxing breakfast with no problems getting a table. Lunch in the Lido was enough chaos for me on the half dozen or so days we ate there.

I understand that- my issue is that everything else is perfect- the itinerary, the dates, the price, the cabin- then boom, I find out it's an O cruise. Ha! Drats. We will probably give it a go. There are more positives than negatives!

:)

I understand that- my issue is that everything else is perfect- the itinerary, the dates, the price, the cabin- then boom, I find out it's an O cruise. Ha! Drats. We will probably give it a go. There are more positives than negatives!

If you do go, please come back and give us your thoughts. :)

It doesn't sound intrusive. Maybe a speaker (possibly from O magazine) to tell you how to live some part of your life--healthy eating, what O says you should wear, etc. Maybe a book club, which could turn out to be interesting. From what I've read it seems easy to ignore. We won't know what the O-themed activities are like until someone comes back to report.

I would go ahead if everything else is right for you. I would not have wanted to be on the cruise she was on. Not because it's Oprah, but because this was meant as PR for both Oprah and HAL. Any celebrity on a highly publicized cruise is likely to be a bit of a circus, with an entourage, photographers and videographers to get lots of shots for her show and for HAL's PR, etc.

We are booked on the Nov.29,2017 11-day Southern Caribbean itinerary. It is an Oprah-themed cruise but she will not be on it. According to Canadian Bear Gayle King will be on it. I didn't know it was this when I booked it and like you, have been concerned about invasive activities. However,I think they will be easy enough to avoid. If you're going after this date I'll come back and report.

We are booked on the Nov.29,2017 11-day Southern Caribbean itinerary. It is an Oprah-themed cruise but she will not be on it. According to Canadian Bear Gayle King will be on it. I didn't know it was this when I booked it and like you, have been concerned about invasive activities. However,I think they will be easy enough to avoid. If you're going after this date I'll come back and report.

We are booked for the full 21 day sailing starting Nov 29th which we booked last year when we didn't even hear anything about an "O" cruise. It wasn't me that mentioned Gayle King it was

Marion B on the roll call and she replied to me on it. She has since cancelled her cruise.

The information my TA gave me and info from Marion B was it would be optional seminars, video, inspirational stuff. Marion B's info she got was she specificially asked if the Crow's Nest would be taken over and answer from HAL was "probably not". Was told tickets would be issued to limit the expected numbers of people who wanted to attend the specific events.

I don't get the feel that it will overpower those that do not want to partake in any "O" stuff.

PS What is Canadian Bear?

I am Candianbear and if you go to the roll call for the Nov.29th sailing you can read more on

info given but you have to remember this info is from TA's and they can only tell us what they have been told by HAL. I don't think it will impact the cruise at all.

I would be surprised if an Oprah cruise was anymore "intrusive" than America's Test Kitchen, or the art gallery auctions, or even Friends of Bill W. It just appears to be additional options of things to do.

I think and hope you are right! We are not concerned at all and are looking forward to 21 days on the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It doesn't sound intrusive. Maybe a speaker (possibly from O magazine) to tell you how to live some part of your life--healthy eating, what O says you should wear, etc. Maybe a book club, which could turn out to be interesting. From what I've read it seems easy to ignore. We won't know what the O-themed activities are like until someone comes back to report.

I would go ahead if everything else is right for you. I would not have wanted to be on the cruise she was on. Not because it's Oprah, but because this was meant as PR for both Oprah and HAL. Any celebrity on a highly publicized cruise is likely to be a bit of a circus, with an entourage, photographers and videographers to get lots of shots for her show and for HAL's PR, etc.

I must be missing something b ut I do not understand the connection of Oprah with HAL. What is that about? Yes, everything is about money but doesn't sound to me like many of us here are rushing to sail on an Oprah crujise. . I won't be. :D Also, Oprah is making noises she may run for political office. If so, why is HAL immersing themselves in politics? Not the place for it, IMO.

It doesn't sound intrusive. Maybe a speaker (possibly from O magazine) to tell you how to live some part of your life--healthy eating, what O says you should wear, etc. Maybe a book club, which could turn out to be interesting. From what I've read it seems easy to ignore. We won't know what the O-themed activities are like until someone comes back to report. I would go ahead if everything else is right for you. I would not have wanted to be on the cruise she was on. Not because it's Oprah, but because this was meant as PR for both Oprah and HAL. Any celebrity on a highly publicized cruise is likely to be a bit of a circus, with an entourage, photographers and videographers to get lots of shots for her show and for HAL's PR, etc.
I must be missing something b ut I do not understand the connection of Oprah with HAL. What is that about? Yes, everything is about money but doesn't sound to me like many of us here are rushing to sail on an Oprah cruise. . I won't be. :D Also, Oprah is making noises she may run for political office. If so, why is HAL immersing themselves in politics? Not the place for it, IMO. With all the American poliitics many of us are g etting tired of, who needs it on a ship? I was thrilled to sail and get away from it this summer. :) Those from other countries likely don't want any part of it. Edited by sail7seas

I must be missing something b ut I do not understand the connection of Oprah with HAL. What is that about? Yes, everything is about money but doesn't sound to me like many of us here are rushing to sail on an Oprah cruise. . I won't be. :D Also, Oprah is making noises she may run for political office. If so, why is HAL immersing themselves in politics? Not the place for it, IMO. With all the American poliitics many of us are g etting tired of, who needs it on a ship? I was thrilled to sail and get away from it this summer. :) Those from other countries likely don't want any part of it.

You're definitely missing something.

Just like Trump has his business side and his quasi-political side...

Oprah has a business, a lifestyle business. HAL has paired with her "corporation" to offer optional activities onboard select sailings. Book Club, exercise, guest speakers. This has nothing to do with politics. HAL is not supporting Oprah's personal politics and no one is supporting Oprah and any supposed political thoughts by being on a cruise with the O offerings.

S7S - happy to see you survived the 200 alt-righters and the couple thousand equality protestors!