Veendam Refurbishment

Nashna

We are considering a Veendam 2018 Bermuda cruise. However, I have been reading several reviews of 2017 sailings which post comments about the ship needing updating. Does anyone know if the Veendam is scheduled for refurbishment prior to June, 2018?

We are considering a Veendam 2018 Bermuda cruise. However, I have been reading several reviews of 2017 sailings which post comments about the ship needing updating. Does anyone know if the Veendam is scheduled for refurbishment prior to June, 2018?

The ship is 20 years old but she's in fine shape I think. No, you don't have all the modern bells and whistles of some of the newer ships, but the cabins are fine (not luxe), the public spaces are nice (with maybe a scratch here and there), and the service is wonderful. I took Veendam to Bermuda in May and had a great time. Who else is going to dock in downtown Hamilton? If you want to go, I'd take that trip next year, because with Nieuw Statendam making her debut at the end of 2018, chances are pretty good that Veendam and her remaining sister Maasdam will be out of the fleet one way or another around that time.

Veendam had her last dry-dock one year and five months ago, from 28 March through 08 April at Freeport, the Bahamas. While there, she had standard maintenance performed on her, as well as hull treatment (a complete hull repaint), bow thrusters overhaul, blade seal replacement, stern thruster overhaul with special attention to her blade/shaft seals, stabilizers overhaul. rudder and propeller overhaul, crop and renew longitudinal bulkhead plus Emissions Reduction Technology/Exhaust Gas Scrubber as well as auxiliary diesel generator (ADG) installation. Prior to last year, her previous dry-dock was in 2013.

Chances, are she'll have another dry-dock in 2018 unless.................................she's sold by then ;)

The ship is 20 years old but she's in fine shape I think. No, you don't have all the modern bells and whistles of some of the newer ships, but the cabins are fine (not luxe), the public spaces are nice (with maybe a scratch here and there), and the service is wonderful. I took Veendam to Bermuda in May and had a great time. Who else is going to dock in downtown Hamilton? If you want to go, I'd take that trip next year, because with Nieuw Statendam making her debut at the end of 2018, chances are pretty good that Veendam and her remaining sister Maasdam will be out of the fleet one way or another around that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry, can't take that chance. I want a lovely cruise with a well maintained stateroom. If people are complaining this year, imagine how much worse it will be after a years worth of wear.

I just sailed V eedndam and found her to be in better shape (so far as a guest can asses) than I expected. I did not encounter any malfunction of important item s. All worked as expecte cted. O coursef , she shows some wear but why would she not?

Edited by sail7seas

Sorry, can't take that chance. I want a lovely cruise with a well maintained stateroom. If people are complaining this year, imagine how much worse it will be after a years worth of wear.

We All want a lovely cruise with a well maintained stateroom and that is just what I had as did my friend who sailed in her own cabin. Where have you seen all the awful comments? I have not seen that in recent weeks/months.

No problem, Nashna, don't sail her if you a re so concerned. Plenty of other ships form which to choose.

Edited by sail7seas

We All want a lovely cruise with a well maintained stateroom and that is just what I had as did my friend who sailed in her own cabin. Where have you seen all the awful comments? I have not seen that in recent weeks/months.

No problem, Nashna, don't sail her if you a re so concerned. Plenty of other ships from which to choose.

I don't think her condition is worrisome and there have been others here who agree.

It was in the cruise review section here on CC. Unfortunately, there are not that many options to Bermuda.

I sailed NCL Dawn to Bermuda and they exceeded my expectation. years ago, I sailed Celebrity to Bermuda.

and HAL. :)

We just enjoyed a very nice cruise to Bermuda on the Veendam . The ship is a good as any mass market ship in terms of food , staff and public spaces . The ship is old and missing some of the latest features

BUT

It has two big advantages over the other Bermuda options . It docks in Hamilton and is in Bermuda for the equivalent of 3 full days . These 2 advantages made the cruise . The Dockyard is crowded and charmless . You might as well be in Nassau .;p

Veendam had her last dry-dock one year and five months ago, from 28 March through 08 April at Freeport, the Bahamas. While there, she had standard maintenance performed on her, as well as hull treatment (a complete hull repaint), bow thrusters overhaul, blade seal replacement, stern thruster overhaul with special attention to her blade/shaft seals, stabilizers overhaul. rudder and propeller overhaul, crop and renew longitudinal bulkhead plus Emissions Reduction Technology/Exhaust Gas Scrubber as well as auxiliary diesel generator (ADG) installation. Prior to last year, her previous dry-dock was in 2013.

Chances, are she'll have another dry-dock in 2018 unless.................................she's sold by then ;)

Oh no, not another possible sale. Soon I'll be out of HAL ships to sail on as I only like the S & R ships. Hopefully they'll never sail the Prinsendam - my favourite HAL ship.

We sailed on Celebrity out of Bayonne two years ago. You are correct, The Dockyards are not where you want to be. Frankly, the Celebrity sailing was one of our worst cruise experiences as it was the first week in August and the ship was overrun by children. The ship simply wasn't equipped to handle so many children as it was at peak capacity with so many 3rd and 4th berth passengers.

We sailed on Celebrity out of Bayonne two years ago. You are correct, The Dockyards are not where you want to be. Frankly, the Celebrity sailing was one of our worst cruise experiences as it was the first week in August and the ship was overrun by children. The ship simply wasn't equipped to handle so many children as it was at peak capacity with so many 3rd and 4th berth passengers.

Maybe cruises to Bermuda are not for you. Not every ship, every itinerary suits everyone. With so much dissatisfaction, you might want to rethink sailing to Bermuda?

We are going with friends who are celebrating their 50th. anniversary. Bermuda was where they spent their honeymoon. They are not frequent cruisers and I want them to choose the very best option. It looks like the Veendam is our best choice. We will be sailing on Azamara to Cuba in March, having sailed on them recently, I have a good sense of what we will be experiencing onboard. But, since it has been 18 years since we have sailed on HAL, I will have lots of questions as I'm sure there have been lots of changes.

We are going with friends who are celebrating their 50th. anniversary. Bermuda was where they spent their honeymoon. They are not frequent cruisers and I want them to choose the very best option. It looks like the Veendam is our best choice. We will be sailing on Azamara to Cuba in March, having sailed on them recently, I have a good sense of what we will be experiencing onboard. But, since it has been 18 years since we have sailed on HAL, I will have lots of questions as I'm sure there have been lots of changes.

No onec an give you any guarantees and I have no wish to try. . I can only say that Veendam does not have that many Neptune suites. I was in one, my friend was in on. e Neither us had any mechanical issues, we each had great cabin stewards, not the same ones for each of us as our cabins were not nearby. 'm out of ways to try and help you. I tried :) Forget Veendam if it isn't pleasingtgo you. Find a ship you prefer to sail. Sorry I was not more helpful.

Go on your March cruise and enjoy. :) Seeing this cruise is so important to your friends. s Have THEM choose the ship/cruise. Let them pick.

Edited by sail7seas

No onec an give you any guarantees and I have no wish to try. . I can only say that Veendam does not have that many Neptune suites. I was in one, my friend was in on. e Neither us had any mechanical issues, we each had great cabin stewards, not the same ones for each of us as our cabins were not nearby. 'm out of ways to try and help you. I tried :) Forget Veendam if it isn't pleasingtgo you. Find a ship you prefer to sail. Sorry I was not more helpful.

Go on your March cruise and enjoy. :) Seeing this cruise is so important to your friends. s Have THEM choose the ship/cruise. Let them pick.

Bermuda is one of those unique cruise ports where the island is the destination. We will sail on Veendam in a suite and will have a wonderful time because we are with old friends .

Bermuda is one of those unique cruise ports where the island is the destination. We will sail on Veendam in a suite and will have a wonderful time because we are with old friends .

Good.

Maybe my attemtps to try and help you did some good. ? :)

Hope you have a wonderful time.

She has long been advertised for sale, but so far no one has liked the asking price. I wouldn't bet that it will never be sold.

I wonder how much interest there would be for such a small old shsip a a very high price?

jOHN, i TIRED TO E-mail you but lost your address when I lost my yahoo, account. Sorry.

Anyone knows what happens if a sale occurs between now and next years Bermuda sailing? I'm assuming that the sailing would be cancelled.

Not necessarily! There's a difference in a sale occurring and the actual date a ship leaves one company for the buyer! For instance, if you look at the last six HAL ships that were either sold, leased out, and/or internally transferred, you get some idea of the length of time from the announcement of that sale/transfer to the actual time the ship left HAL. For those last six ships, it's been anywhere from nine months to a year and a half

HAL announced in May 2014 that Statendam and Ryndam were to be internally transferred (within the Carnival Corp.) to P&O Australia. That transfer took place one year and a half later, in November 2015.

On January 15, 2004, HAL announced that Noordam III, the second of the two "N"-class ships, would leave the fleet eleven months later, on November 12, 2004, on a long-term charter to UK-based Thomson Cruises

On March 29, 2001, HAL announced that Westerdam II (the former Homeric) would be internally transferred to Costa Crociere/Costa Cruises; that transfer took place one year later on March 10, 2002.

In August 1999, HAL announced that Nieuw Amsterdam III, the first of the two "N"-class vessels, would be sold to American Classic Voyages. That transfer took place fourteen months later on October 18, 2000

On 31 December 1996, HAL announced that Rotterdam V would be decommissioned on 20 September 1997. Rotterdam V was then sold to Cruise Holdings Ltd, decommissioned on 30 September 1996, and handed over to Premier Cruises on October 2, 1997, a little over nine months after the initial announcement

<Snip>

On 31 December 1996, HAL announced that Rotterdam V would be decommissioned on 20 September 1997. Rotterdam V was then sold to Cruise Holdings Ltd, decommissioned on 30 September 1996, and handed over to Premier Cruises on October 2, 1997, a little over nine months after the initial announcement

John is there a typo in that paragraph? Decommissioned but cruising a year before handover?

Roy