naples on your own

coxy

Hi,

How about a short trip to Hericulanum. It's a bit smaller than Pompeii and IMHO a much nicer site. It is also closer to Naples than Pompeii. You can get there on the rail line that circumnavigates the Bay of Naples.

WE have also been to Naples before and "done" all the regular sites.

This time we are going on the HOHO bus from outside the port and going to the Archeological Museum that has all the important stuff from Pompeii. And then fitting in a real Neapolitan Pizza somewhere for lunch.

Have a look here.

http://www.city-sightseeing.com/?command=search&clear-search=true&destinations=Naples

Berwyn

Problem is, there is so much great stuff to see in the area it is difficult to choose what to do.

Because we have been before I, personally would be quite happy chillin' in the streets and cafes of Sorrento.

If you do go to Sorrento make sure you go here

http://www.bougainvillea.it/

It is on the main street, the Corsa Italia.

WE had a hotel holiday in Sorrento and seemed to spend most of our free time there. One of the waiters said " You are here more than me and I work here" :D

Berwyn

Problem is, there is so much great stuff to see in the area it is difficult to choose what to do.

Because we have been before I, personally would be quite happy chillin' in the streets and cafes of Sorrento.

If you do go to Sorrento make sure you go here

http://www.bougainvillea.it/

It is on the main street, the Corsa Italia.

WE had a hotel holiday in Sorrento and seemed to spend most of our free time there. One of the waiters said " You are here more than me and I work here" :D

Berwyn

Holy Smokes, that place looks huge. I think I just went to heaven ;)

Holy Smokes, that place looks huge. I think I just went to heaven ;)

They have modernised it a bit since we were there in 2005 but it was fantastic.

So many variations of ice cream you would not believe.

IT is a very old family ice cream parlour and they have modernised it to keep up with the times.

WE went back in 2009 on a cruise but only had a short time there unfortunately

Berwyn

Contact Marco at Rome Conection and ask for a private tour with Joe Banana! We just got back and he was wonderful. He will take you where ever you want, but we went to a cameo factory, (SHORT stop), Pompeii, then the Amalfi Coast. The highlight of the trip was lunch in Postitano way up high on the mountain overlooking the coastline. It was a family owned restaurant, and tour busses can't make it up the winding road. Meal served family style... all you can eat and drink...sampling a variety of wonderful foods and wine. :D

Capri and Sorrento are both great places to visit and should be any problem to do on your own.

We lived in Naples for three years and my wife would divorce me if I even suggested going back - but we have great memories of all the wonderful places to eat and visit!

Capri and Sorrento are both great places to visit and should be any problem to do on your own.

We lived in Naples for three years and my wife would divorce me if I even suggested going back - but we have great memories of all the wonderful places to eat and visit!

My wife would bite your arm off if you suggested it would be possible to go out there to live. :D

Berwyn

We did Capri, it's beautiful! We took the ships tour because I had read on CC that the line to get on and off the hydrofoil can sometimes be really long depending on the time of the year. Therefore, might endanger you getting back to the ship on time, if you don't allow enough time. Have a wonderful time!

We did Capri, it's beautiful! We took the ships tour because I had read on CC that the line to get on and off the hydrofoil can sometimes be really long depending on the time of the year. Therefore, might endanger you getting back to the ship on time, if you don't allow enough time. Have a wonderful time!

cruisngnut, I would also recommend the ship's tour because the hydrofoil will not make the voyage Capri/Naples if the sea is rough. I learned that in 2005 when the hydrofoilil cancelled and we had to use the much slower ferry back to Naples.:eek:

As much as I dislike paying higher rates for ship's tours, in Italy, I would gladly pay the money knowing the ship will wait for my return :) Ciao, -S.

cruisngnut, I would also recommend the ship's tour because the hydrofoil will not make the voyage Capri/Naples if the sea is rough. I learned that in 2005 when the hydrofoilil cancelled and we had to use the much slower ferry back to Naples.:eek:

As much as I dislike paying higher rates for ship's tours, in Italy, I would gladly pay the money knowing the ship will wait for my return :) Ciao, -S.

now that you mention it, I do remember reading about the possiblity of the hydrofoil cancelling due to rough seas. We weren't willing to take a chance, just can't predict things like that.

How do you think the ship's tour is going to get back to the ship? they use the same transportation.

Having done a private tour of the Amalfi Coast on our last cruise to the area ( 2009) I would highly recommend this trip. It remains the most beautiful place I have ever visited! There are so many photo ops it is impossible to get them all. Lunch anywhere along this trip will likely be amazing. Save money to buy a piece of pottery in Positano- it is truely beautiful. This year when we visit on the Ruby, our plan is to try and do both Capri for a few hours and then fit in a couple of hours ( lunch time ) in Sorrento before heading back to the ship. Pompeii will have to wait for our next time.

How do you think the ship's tour is going to get back to the ship? they use the same transportation.

I'm not sure but the ship will wait for their tour to get back. I'm just saying, they won't wait for you to get back for sailaway. You just have to allow enough time for unforseen problems.

• 2 weeks later...
If you are on the ships tour the ship waits for you.

If you are not, you are on your own and you may miss the ship.

If you are on the same hydrofoil as the ships tour you will arrive back at the ship at the same time as the ships tour was my point.

My point is who knows whether or not you will be on the same hydrofoil.

Keith

whatever.. seriously is your next come back maybe the one you're on will be hit by a rogue wave? If it's out of someone's comfort level to get their own transportation then fine but let's stop the excuses of taking ships tours. Going to and from Capri you are on the same mode of transportation as the ships tour. There are ferries and hydrofoils running all the time constantly going back and forth. If that's out of your comfort level then pay the outrageous ships fees for the tour.

whatever.. seriously is your next come back maybe the one you're on will be hit by a rogue wave? If it's out of someone's comfort level to get their own transportation then fine but let's stop the excuses of taking ships tours. Going to and from Capri you are on the same mode of transportation as the ships tour. There are ferries and hydrofoils running all the time constantly going back and forth. If that's out of your comfort level then pay the outrageous ships fees for the tour.

I am one of those who in the end feels that there is not one solution for each person.

There are times that we do ships tours and there are times we don't.

And I do not feel that one solution works for all people.

There are some people who actually benefit quite a bit from a ships tour and there are others who benefit much better doing it on their own.

Choice is good.

Keith

We are taking my parents on this trip and they aren't big joiners (We aren't either). Because I can controle it, I have rented a car and made Lunch reservations at Hotel Splendido which is on my bucket list. Herculinium (Spelling?) is also important to my partner but perhaps not to my Dad. So... Here's the question: I am planning to take the highway south as far as is a good idea, start working my back doing the Positano lunch, staying on the coast back to Naples... making a drop off at the Ship and doing Herculinium last. If I have the fortitude to do the driving is this a realistic overview where we will see the highlights and feel like we can say "Been there, Done that." ? I appreciate your constructive suggestions. (PS: It's $100.00 to rent the car for the day... Price wise, it's a winner)

We are taking my parents on this trip and they aren't big joiners (We aren't either). Because I can controle it, I have rented a car and made Lunch reservations at Hotel Splendido which is on my bucket list. Herculinium (Spelling?) is also important to my partner but perhaps not to my Dad. So... Here's the question: I am planning to take the highway south as far as is a good idea, start working my back doing the Positano lunch, staying on the coast back to Naples... making a drop off at the Ship and doing Herculinium last. If I have the fortitude to do the driving is this a realistic overview where we will see the highlights and feel like we can say "Been there, Done that." ? I appreciate your constructive suggestions. (PS: It's $100.00 to rent the car for the day... Price wise, it's a winner)

I have two questions/comments.

First, is there more than one Hotel Splendido? The one I am aware of is in Portofino, not Positano. That's about 450 miles away.

Second, unless you have a very late return time, I'm not sure how realistic it is to eat lunch in Positano, drive back to Naples, then down to Ercolano, and back to Naples. Maybe if you have an early lunch, and not a long one, I guess it will work.

Archived