Southampton Boat Show traffic

Somerset Cruiser

The boat show is 16-25th September so anyone travelling to the port should bear this in mind.

I don't beleive it causes major problems but best to allow a bit longer.

Lucky that Ventura sails on the 15th and returns on the 27th so I will avoid the crowds. I wonder if the hotel will be full on the 14th as Ventura is the only ship in port on the 15th.

It does cause problems. We cruised last year and the ship departed during the boat show. The traffic was awful getting in to Southampton. You should always allow plenty of time to get to Southampton as the roads and motorways around there often suffer from delays. An accident can close a road for hours in the UK.

Now we stay overnight at the Ibis hotel which is convenient and very reasonably priced. My review is on trip advisor. Its great to get up in the morning and know you just have a short taxi ride to the ship.

It might be worth considering entering the port at Dock Gate 20 if you're coming from the west.....we did this last year to join Eclipse and drove along quite easily looking across to the huge queues of traffic on the other roads.

It's quite close to where the M271 slip road comes in and will be signposted...basically go through the gate and head left and keep going if you want Mayflower or City terminals but you would have to leave the port at Gate 10 if you need Ocean terminal... but you would have leapfrogged the queues !!:)

Archived