My friend may back out...

WindyFreedom

I know you've received several different responses, and some of them have been correct, some partly correct, and some wrong.

If he cancels for a covered reason (usually injury, illness, or death) then he would be reimbursed, but you would have to pay the solo supplement. If he cancels for a non covered reason, he would be partially reimbursed (the amount depends on when he cancels), and you would have to pay the solo supplement. If he doesn't cancel but still can't go, then he will get the taxes and port fees back, and you won't have to pay anything extra as he will just be a no show.

It won't really help you to get insurance now, because if he canceled for a covered reason it would be pre existing, and insurance doesn't usually cover that unless you get it soon after booking the cruise.

Did you book Early Saver? If you did, then you can cancel one person from the cruise and add another person for the amount of one person's deposit. So basically if it was a 7 day cruise and the deposit was $250, then you can cancel him and pay $250 to add a second person instead of paying the full single supplement. If you booked a different rate, you can usually change one person with no penalty as long as one person who was originally booked stays in the booking.

If I was the OP I would stay out of it, show up at the pier and hope for the best! It seems likely that the OP's roommate (not cross-cabin mate as someone seems to have suggested) is of the opinion they can get a "valid excuse" to make a fraudulent insurance claim and not go on the cruise. At this late date Carnival offers no recourse to the passenger doing so. In any situation it is handled by a 3rd party insurance agency. It would make no sense why Carnival would try to charge the OP any additional money since they are not losing out on any payment. I would like those who vehemently declare that Carnival would charge a single supplement to show proof. If they were to do this they would essential be double charging as they are not "out any money".

Oh but they do. My roomate had to cancel medical reasons she had to file a claim. Carnival charged me the single supplement I in turn had to file with my insurance to be reimbursed. Yes they are essentially charging

twice for the same space.

pat

murrells inlet, sc

If I was the OP I would stay out of it, show up at the pier and hope for the best! It seems likely that the OP's roommate (not cross-cabin mate as someone seems to have suggested) is of the opinion they can get a "valid excuse" to make a fraudulent insurance claim and not go on the cruise. At this late date Carnival offers no recourse to the passenger doing so. In any situation it is handled by a 3rd party insurance agency. It would make no sense why Carnival would try to charge the OP any additional money since they are not losing out on any payment. I would like those who vehemently declare that Carnival would charge a single supplement to show proof. If they were to do this they would essential be double charging as they are not "out any money".

Do Not believe this poster.

If your cabin mate cancels, you WILL be charged single supplement.

And I mean if they cancel 1 day before the cruise and are in 100 percent penalty. You will still be charge the single supplement of 100 percent minus port fees and taxes.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
Do Not believe this poster.

If your cabin mate cancels, you WILL be charged single supplement.

And I mean if they cancel 1 day before the cruise and are in 100 percent penalty. You will still be charge the single supplement of 100 percent minus port fees and taxes.

I was using logic and argument not expressing certainty. I believe my Title line, "no one knows" includes me.

They will refund the port fees and taxes for the person who doesn't go and it will just be like you booked it solo all along. Nothing needs to be done. The other person can literally just "not show up" although Carnival would probably prefer notification that the other person isnt come ahead of time for security purposes. I went through this a couple of years ago.

They will refund the port fees and taxes for the person who doesn't go and it will just be like you booked it solo all along. Nothing needs to be done. The other person can literally just "not show up" although Carnival would probably prefer notification that the other person isnt come ahead of time for security purposes. I went through this a couple of years ago.

If your friend is a simple no show, you won't pay anything more. If there is a cancellation, you are dooped to pay double.

If your friend is a simple no show, you won't pay anything more. If there is a cancellation, you are dooped to pay double.

I cannot confirm this, as we just went the "no show" route. My cabin steward finally asked on day 3 where the other party was and I said they couldnt make it. lol

You are wrong.

It doesn't matter if the cruise is paid in full. The minute the friend cancels, the other passengerwill be hit with the single supplement.

Carnival will refund the friend according to the penalty they are in and then the other person will be responsible to pay the entire fee.

It would be just l like the friend had never booked.

If the op has insurance, it may cover the Single supplement.

Do NOT believe this poster, they do not know what they are talking about and DO NOT understand the system.

Do NOT believe this poster, they do not know what they are talking about and DO NOT understand the system.

I understand the system very well and if you cancel the person instead of doing a no show, if there is only one person left in the cabin, they will be charged the single supplement.

The minute you cancel, that fare is gone which will leave a solo cruiser and they will be charged the single supplement.

They do not say, oh, the other person that was in the cabin cancelled, but we have the money so it is all good. They say solo cruiser in the cabin, they need to pay the 100% solo supplement.

I understand the system very well and if you cancel the person instead of doing a no show, if there is only one person left in the cabin, they will be charged the single supplement.

The minute you cancel, that fare is gone which will leave a solo cruiser and they will be charged the single supplement.

They do not say, oh, the other person that was in the cabin cancelled, but we have the money so it is all good. They say solo cruiser in the cabin, they need to pay the 100% solo supplement.

This is correct.

From the looks of it, its either they cancel using their insurance and you pay the extra cost of rebooking solo at the current rate or they eat the cost and just check in normally, friend being a no show(but dont tell them when checking in).

Edited by mrneil001