Can't bring ice!

mykeb14

I'm well aware of what the rules say. I was referring to the security person who wouldn't let someone bring even an empty bottle. And my point was that you can't blame that person or try to diminish their intelligence because none of us has any idea of where he or she got that directive from. Carnival management often doesn't follow their own rules verbatim.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

You posted that the rules say no bottles which was wrong. And I believe the security person should know the rules correctly, there aren't that many and the job is not that difficult.

You posted that the rules say no bottles which was wrong. And I believe the security person should know the rules correctly, there aren't that many and the job is not that difficult.

How do you know how difficult it is? Dealing with thousands of people daily? Nothing easy about that. In any case it may be necessary to include wording that specifically says empty bottles are ok. Since people are trying to bring them on and being told no. The rule you quoted speaks to beverages. Not empty bottles.

A couple of years ago, the security post at the port of Baltimore was manned by TSA twinkies. I presume this is still the case. To expect these people to either know the rules or to enforce them correctly is asking a whole lot.

Doc

You have to remember this: most people have the best job they could get. Recognition of this helps set expectations and keep the frustration level down when you encounter such stuff as this.

I imagine you might get some heat for this comment, but I agree with you. That is a good way of saying it.

It does, but this concerns me for my sister who needs the ice to keep her insulin cool. Guess I should give her the heads up.

Have her call the Special Needs department. I'm sure an exception would be made for this.

At my airport there are signs all over saying "no bottles beyond this point" yet there are two soda vending machines "beyond that point." I seriously doubt it was the security guards - the ones that deal with the customers -that made that decision or put up the signs.

They mean you cannot bring any bottles of your own past that point, What they sell beyond that point, they have supposedly checked out and know is safe (no explosives). Plus, they raise the prices and know people will buy it, since they could not bring their own, therefore, make money too!

I'm well aware of what the rules say. I was referring to the security person who wouldn't let someone bring even an empty bottle.

I know this post is referring to empty bottles at embarkation. But we had no problem bringing empty water bottles back on board the Miracle after a day in port.

Your second sentence is incorrect.

Below is the quote from Carnival's website:

Bringing Liquor and Beverages Onboard - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages onboard that are packaged in bottles.

The rules do not say no bottles only liquid in bottles.

If you want to get picky, the rule you quoted only says no beverages in bottles. (For example, shampoo bottles seems to be perfectly acceptable). But, do you really want to waste your time (and ours, if we are line behind you) arguing with the security guys about what the rules say so you can bring an empty bottle on board? My life experience tells me that the guys in uniform usually get to interpret the rules however seems reasonable to them at the time. Right or wrong. After all, they don't have a ship to board.

Where can you get ice for your room? I know the steward can bring it, but if you want it right away?

i have ordered ice from room service. they brought up a bucket of ice the same that you would get if you ordered a bucket of beer. then everyday the steward would fill it up with fresh ice.

i ordered this from the tv menu for room service. they had everything on there that you could order. wine opener, limes, ice, glassware. not sure if they still have the room service ordering set up through the tv. i didn't order any room service on my last cruise.

I don't think it's really necessary to less of people. The rules say no bottles and you don't know if the employee was told to enforce something absolutely or not. They could get reamed out if they allow someone to go through even if it makes no sense.

At my airport there are signs all over saying "no bottles beyond this point" yet there are two soda vending machines "beyond that point." I seriously doubt it was the security guards - the ones that deal with the customers -that made that decision or put up the signs.

I don't think less of people at all. I recognize they're doing the best they can. Whether it's the individual employee that's misunderstood/misinterpreted the rule or whether it was his/her boss that erred in their interpretation, the fact remains that someone isn't fulfilling their duty to know and properly apply the rules.

BTW can you please cite where "the rules say no bottles"? I'm unaware of any Carnival policy prohibiting empty bottles.

Your airport has either put up incorrect signage or you've misunderstood what it says. TSA explicitly states you can carry empty water bottles aboard. I regularly do this when flying for work; some airports such as ATL now have bottle-filling setups at the water fountains so you can easily fill the water bottle you brought through security empty. Type "water bottle" into the search box at this TSA link: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/prohibited-items

You may take empty drink containers through the checkpoint and fill them afterward.

Edited by dd2355

I don't think less of people at all. I recognize they're doing the best they can. Whether it's the individual employee that's misunderstood/misinterpreted the rule or whether it was his/her boss that erred in their interpretation, the fact remains that someone isn't fulfilling their duty to know and properly apply the rules.

BTW can you please cite where "the rules say no bottles"? I'm unaware of any Carnival policy prohibiting empty bottles.

Your airport has either put up incorrect signage or you've misunderstood what it says. TSA explicitly states you can carry empty water bottles aboard. I regularly do this when flying for work; some airports such as ATL now have bottle-filling setups at the water fountains so you can easily fill the water bottle you brought through security empty. Type "water bottle" into the search box at this TSA link: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/prohibited-items

I know how to read and yes the signs do say no bottles beyond this point. Whether they are right, wrong, or otherwise doesn't matter to me. I was stating that as an example that I have seen posted rules in airports that say no bottles. So a security officer in a port isn't dumb or wrong for telling someone the same verbally.

More importantly, my comment and this thread started almost two weeks ago. I don't see the subject worth going on and on about. Bring your empty bottles if it suits you. In my opinion your comment was a pot shot. If you disagreed, it sure took you a long time to do so. Enough already about the empty bottles. You guys carry on if you wish.

That's simple, pack the insulin in it, dump the ice if requested, get on board, go to the atrium bar or lido and put ice in the bag:D

We bring 2-gallon size zip lock bags. As soon as we board and get settled, I head to Lido and fill the bag up with ice. When did doing for yourself become unpopular?

I know how to read and yes the signs do say no bottles beyond this point. Whether they are right, wrong, or otherwise doesn't matter to me. I was stating that as an example that I have seen posted rules in airports that say no bottles. So a security officer in a port isn't dumb or wrong for telling someone the same verbally.

More importantly, my comment and this thread started almost two weeks ago. I don't see the subject worth going on and on about. Bring your empty bottles if it suits you. In my opinion your comment was a pot shot. If you disagreed, it sure took you a long time to do so. Enough already about the empty bottles. You guys carry on if you wish.

Yep, it was about a week ago that you posted your reply to my comment. I hadn't seen it until this morning when the thread popped back up due to others comments.

If you think a security guard isn't wrong for communicating or enforcing rules incorrectly then you have even lower expectations of them than I do. :eek:

I'm unsure why you're so indignant though. You quoted and replied to my stand-alone comment in the thread, I've merely clarified my original statement in response and then added additional clarifying information that others may find useful. If I've stated something factually incorrect, do feel free to provide evidentiary corrections, but keep your personal attacks to yourself please.

Edited by dd2355

I was made to throw out my bottle in Tampa, but no other embarkation port. It's a mystery.

In the rush at embarkation in Tampa In September I forgot I was holding a plastic bottle with water in it. I was told I couldn't have it, dumped the water and they let me go through.

Cool idea, though I've never owned a freezer that got cold enough to freeze vodka. When keeping a bottle in the freezer it got a little thicker but never close to freezing.

What a great idea for martinis!

A quick google search says 80 proof vodka freezes at -16.5F/-30C and more like -40F/-40C for 100 proof. Which consumer-grade freezers get that low?