Flights To Europe

Mr305

Just booked the Vista for the July 9th sailing out of Barcelona and ending in Athens. I looked at flights today leaving out of Miami and I'm amazed to find flights costing over $1,600 on American. I need to purchase three tickets so this would make the air almost as much as the cruise. Hopefully, this will come down!

Shop around and set notices on some of the booking engines (Kayak, Expedia etc). We are on the sailing before you and snagged direct for $500 less than you are quoting.

I tracked airfares leaving from my home airport in Knoxville, TN since last February. Of course, flights weren't available yet for our May 10, 2016 flight. From this particular airport ( which is not a major hub and fares are naturally higher) the lowest fare was $1235.00 on March 18 for a 5-14 flight which was approximately 57 days prior. The seat choices were limited. Fares for that mock date was sold out on March 20. I started searching again with another mock date of 3-3-16 and the lowest fare was $1266 with Lufthansa. Then the rates started climbing.

When I travel abroad, I usually book as soon as the booking window opens. I got a rate of $1330.30 per person on June 26 and took it since I had budgeted $1500. I am sure it is lower in larger cities but this American flight goes from Knoxville to Charlotte and then nonstop from Charlotte to Barcelona. It is with American ( actually still U.S. Airways when I booked). I like it because it avoids Newark and other large international hubs.

Edited by HLGW60

Just booked the Vista for the July 9th sailing out of Barcelona and ending in Athens. I looked at flights today leaving out of Miami and I'm amazed to find flights costing over $1,600 on American. I need to purchase three tickets so this would make the air almost as much as the cruise. Hopefully, this will come down!

Don't rule out other airlines. I am flying TAP Portugal for the second time. We flew them in 2013 and will be flying them again in 2016. I got my tickets for $1028 for a May flight to Athens and returning from Barcelona. They are always less expensive that the major US airlines and we had absolutely no problems with them. Oh, and the food was GOOD!

Booked my air transportation using Carnival's new program, Fly2Fun. A direct flight was $150 cheaper per person with the program versus online sites including the Airline's own site. The good part is, if it drops in price and it's 60 or more days before you cruise, you can cancel and book again at the lower price. Not a bad deal at all and unlike the old program, after 48 hours, you get to pick your seats.

Edited by Mr305

Booked my airfare using Carnival's new program, Fly2Fun. A direct flight was $150 cheaper per person with the program versus online sites including the Airline's own site. The good part is, if it drops in price and it's 60 or more before you cruise, you can cancel and book again at the lower price. Not a bad deal at all and unlike the old program, after 48 hours, you get to pick your seats.

I didn't explore too in depth, but did ask them to give me a quick quote when I was already calling on a ES price drop.

The flexible fare quote they gave me was about $200 cheaper that what is currently available at most online sites (MUCH to my Surprise!!)

They were able to mix one airline over to Europe and another airline back which the other sites don't. Though I had the option to choose any times and airlines I preferred.

Their system was still a little glitchy that first day, so I didn't go much further just yet. I'm hoping in a month we'll see some improved pricing over current fares. (fingers crossed)

And the other good news is, you don't have to give a penny down (Flexible Flights) to book the flight. So you can book your flight now, if it drops and is 60 days or more before you cruise, call back and cancel it for free. Plus, you have until final cruise payment to pay the cruise and flight. It doesn't get any better if you ask me and the prices are very competitive.

Edited by Mr305

Airfares like what you're seeing Florida is the reason why Carnival pulled out of EU! Airfares where costing more than an inside cabin on the lowest level of the ship!

My group of 15 others picked the inaugural cruise, with the advise of our TA, to get better pricing with airfares and hotel rates. And boy did we snag some deals about three weeks ago when airfares dropped. Round trip out of PHL was under $900 after dropping from $1200!! Going just before summer starts was wise on our part!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I booked this cruise a few days ago. I was doing a little research on Trieste-a little off the beaten path;)-just curious as to which airport (s) you booked for this port. Thanks!

I booked this cruise a few days ago. I was doing a little research on Trieste-a little off the beaten path;)-just curious as to which airport (s) you booked for this port. Thanks!

I believe quite a few people fly into Venice a few days prior to departure.

Edited by fuddrules

Ditto... The core group I'm part of will be flying into Venice airport (VCE). We're part of a larger group of seasoned EU cruisers. Those that have been to Venice before are option to fly into Trieste (TRS) to be closer to the ship and not have to take the train or bus to meet the ship.

YAY I did it. I have been wanting a specific flight from Atl to BCn and back. We really wanted direct flights, since this is the first time we are going to Europe. Well I called Carnival the other day and the lady told me I could not book flights for my cruise until End of November. Cruise is in August 2016.

Well today I decided to call back and I am so glad I did. I just booked the exact flights I wanted on Delta for $961.00 cheaper than through Delta direct.

I am excited because I will pay it off with my Barclays card, and get points why I am at it.

Just an FYI, it took about an hour. They are still learning the system but its ok I am patient. We did realize though that they have two screens, one for just quoting and one for actual booking. Make sure you get your price from an actual booking screen because that's the actual price.

Two of us from ATL to BCN for $1801.00 total.

Good luck all.

Kathy

Booked my air transportation using Carnival's new program, Fly2Fun. A direct flight was $150 cheaper per person with the program versus online sites including the Airline's own site. The good part is, if it drops in price and it's 60 or more days before you cruise, you can cancel and book again at the lower price. Not a bad deal at all and unlike the old program, after 48 hours, you get to pick your seats.

Is there a special phone number or can I book through our PVP?

Can you use Carnival's air program if you want to visit other countries prior/post cruise?

I want to fly into London a week before the cruise. Spend a few days in London and Paris, then take the train to Barcelona the days before the cruise. After the cruise, I want a direct flight to JFK. Can I do that with Carnival's air

?

Can you use Carnival's air program if you want to visit other countries prior/post cruise?

I want to fly into London a week before the cruise. Spend a few days in London and Paris, then take the train to Barcelona the days before the cruise. After the cruise, I want a direct flight to JFK. Can I do that with Carnival's air

?

You should be able to, I'm flying out a bit before the cruise to enjoy Barcelona. Booked my flights using Fun2Fly and had no problems doing so.

Edited by Mr305

Don't rule out other airlines. I am flying TAP Portugal for the second time. We flew them in 2013 and will be flying them again in 2016. I got my tickets for $1028 for a May flight to Athens and returning from Barcelona. They are always less expensive that the major US airlines and we had absolutely no problems with them. Oh, and the food was GOOD!

We did fly TAP to Lisbon from Miami in June. The flight going over was good with a great plane with TV screens in the seat back in front of you, decent food, etc. On the return trip back to Miami from Barcelona we had an older plane with no in seat movies and horrible food. TAP is good if you don't get their older planes.

Can I still call Carnival and get a quote for airfare if I booked with an outside travel agency?

No, I tried over the weekend. The agents at Carnival consistently told me that they need to work directly with my travel agency to book their airfares.

Airfares like what you're seeing Florida is the reason why Carnival pulled out of EU! Airfares where costing more than an inside cabin on the lowest level of the ship!

My group of 15 others picked the inaugural cruise, with the advise of our TA, to get better pricing with airfares and hotel rates. And boy did we snag some deals about three weeks ago when airfares dropped. Round trip out of PHL was under $900 after dropping from $1200!! Going just before summer starts was wise on our part!

We usually avoid traveling during the summer, since the prices are higher and most cruises and airlines are fully booked. We are taking our granddaughter with us and summer is the best time to travel with her. I sure hope the airfare comes down again! You really got a great deal. I hope I don't regret waiting to see if airfare comes down.

Saw a report on the news yesterday about how lower fuel costs "may" have us seeing lower airfares in the coming months. I believe the report said in the next 6 months or so. Then I saw this article today..

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/are-dirt-cheap-flights-the-way-of-the-future-100403200.html

I've been holding out on purchasing airfare. Trying to dial in on what would be a good deal for our flights. We've never flown to Europe before and I don't think Carnival's "flexible" Fly2fun is going to work for us.

Give them a call and tell them your plans, see what they can do for you. The way I see it, they aren't any different than a travel agency. Granted, you have to have a cruise booked, you're not calling just asking for a flight.