My friend may back out...

WindyFreedom

My friend may be backing out of our cruise coming up in less than 60 days. Our cruise is of course with Carnival. If they do back out, they plan on trying to use their insurance they bought through Carnival. I don't know how that works. I have no problem going alone (my solo wasn't until February but okkkkkkay lol). But if they back out and if the insurance covers this, do I have to come up with their half of the cabin charge again so I can still go??

The cruise is paid for. Carnival has their money. If they cancel and it is covered by insurance. The insurance company reimburses your friend. Carnival is still whole and has their money. I would think you are still okay. However, if your friend does not go and they want insurance to pay, I am sure the insurance company will want them to actually call Carnival and cancel their reservation. So Carnival will know that you are now traveling alone.

Depending on the insurance company, if YOU also have a policy and your friend cancels for a covered reason, your "single supplement" will be covered by you making a claim to your insurance carrier. Travelex's TRAVEL SELECT plan does cover this specific scenario.

Unless your cabin mate wants a partial refund from Carnival, which at 60 days out they are entitled don't either of you do anything until much closer to sailing time. If you do "act" now then she will be cancelled and you will have to pay the single supplement.

Best scenario, if their insurance covers, is for her to contact the insurance company the day before departure and then they just don't show up at the pier. You act dumb at check in saying they are checking in separately. That way you will not be charged anything.

If the friend "cancels", which they would have to do to use the insurance, you will have to pay single occupancy. If they don't use the insurance and don't cancel, you would be safe with them as a no show.

I think this is the answer.:D Do you have any idea what excuse is going to be used?

Unless your cabin mate wants a partial refund from Carnival, which at 60 days out they are entitled don't either of you do anything until much closer to sailing time. If you do "act" now then she will be cancelled and you will have to pay the single supplement.

Best scenario, if their insurance covers, is for her to contact the insurance company the day before departure and then they just don't show up at the pier. You act dumb at check in saying they are checking in separately. That way you will not be charged anything.

If they are entitled to a partial refund, then insurance or no insurance they would have to take the partial refund. The insurance company is only going to want to reimburse non refundable costs.

The OP didn't indicate if they have insurance. If they do, it is possible that their insurance will cover the issues that their traveling companion is having.

Looking at the situation now, I don't see any way for the OP to avoid the single supplement unless their friend waits until the last minute to cancel. Though at that point, insurance may no longer cover it.

My friend may be backing out of our cruise coming up in less than 60 days. Our cruise is of course with Carnival. If they do back out, they plan on trying to use their insurance they bought through Carnival. I don't know how that works. I have no problem going alone (my solo wasn't until February but okkkkkkay lol). But if they back out and if the insurance covers this, do I have to come up with their half of the cabin charge again so I can still go??

Is it "friend"? You also use the word "they".

I booked a room for my son and 2 friends, 1 is now not going. I have been contemplating on whether to cancel the person and regain some money or have him be a no show to keep the room. Would they make me change cabins to a 2 person, which there is no cabins available to the other ones that I have. So if I leave him a no show, I shouldn't receive any more charges even though there will only be 2 people in a 3 person cabin. So confusing, just want to make sure I make the right move. I only have 1 day left to cancel to only lose deposit.

If the friend "cancels", which they would have to do to use the insurance, you will have to pay single occupancy. If they don't use the insurance and don't cancel, you would be safe with them as a no show.

It doesn't work that way after final payment. The cabin is paid in full. The OP will not have to pay any thing more, UNLESS CCL refunds something to her friend, in which case the OP will pay whatever CCL refunds minus the extra port fees and taxes.

If insurance is involved, that is a separate matter that does not impact OP.

Edited by zqvol

Most travel insurance does not cover cancel for any reason. Some have add ons like cancel for any reason or cancel for work, which we always buy because we are self employed. Generally you have to be sick or hurt to get insurance coverage

I booked a room for my son and 2 friends, 1 is now not going. I have been contemplating on whether to cancel the person and regain some money or have him be a no show to keep the room. Would they make me change cabins to a 2 person, which there is no cabins available to the other ones that I have. So if I leave him a no show, I shouldn't receive any more charges even though there will only be 2 people in a 3 person cabin. So confusing, just want to make sure I make the right move. I only have 1 day left to cancel to only lose deposit.

You might need to talk to Carnival about this. Is their cabin a connecting? If it is, it might be helpful with keeping it if you drop to 2. The only other alternative is paying for 3, have the 3rd a no show and you'll get those taxes and port fees refunded, no gratuities.

It's just me and him. Sorry for using the pronoun "they." I didn't notice. :/

Thank you everyone for the replies! I'm hoping and praying he doesn't back out. I didn't get the insurance because I have never backed out and didn't want to spend the extra $75 (now I'm regretting it). He has insurance through carnival and not an outside agency.

He hasn't confirmed or denied whether he is going to back out. I may be worried about nothing. I am also sad that he might back out bc I've been really looking fwd to experiencing this with him. He has never been on a cruise and he is one of my closest friends.

I just hope he doesn't back out. Either way.. Just hope he doesn't.

YOU can still buy insurance, there is no deadline. Some travel insurance policies cover the case where a traveling partner cannot go and cover the single supplement. Insurance should not be that expensive, check insuremytrip dot com. I just got a $900 policy for 2 people for $56.

YOU can still buy insurance, there is no deadline. Some travel insurance policies cover the case where a traveling partner cannot go and cover the single supplement. Insurance should not be that expensive, check insuremytrip dot com. I just got a $900 policy for 2 people for $56.

Though, if the friend is backing out for medical reasons, this may be considered preexisting, which wouldn't be covered by a policy bought this late. All policies would require it to be bought within a certain number of days of initial booking or at least before final payment.

I just had to do the same thing last week but I had two cabins and 5 people booked and needed to remove 2 people before final payment. I decided to cancel one cabin and put the remaining 3 people in one cabin. I only took a $50 per person hit and my final payment was much less.

If you have the option to move everyone into one larger cabin then that may be worth it. Call carnival and run the numbers to see which option benefits you.

It doesn't work that way after final payment. The cabin is paid in full. The OP will not have to pay any thing more, UNLESS CCL refunds something to her friend, in which case the OP will pay whatever CCL refunds minus the extra port fees and taxes.

If insurance is involved, that is a separate matter that does not impact OP.

You are wrong.

It doesn't matter if the cruise is paid in full. The minute the friend cancels, the other passengerwill be hit with the single supplement.

Carnival will refund the friend according to the penalty they are in and then the other person will be responsible to pay the entire fee.

It would be just l like the friend had never booked.

If the op has insurance, it may cover the Single supplement.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

If I was the OP I would stay out of it, show up at the pier and hope for the best! It seems likely that the OP's roommate (not cross-cabin mate as someone seems to have suggested) is of the opinion they can get a "valid excuse" to make a fraudulent insurance claim and not go on the cruise. At this late date Carnival offers no recourse to the passenger doing so. In any situation it is handled by a 3rd party insurance agency. It would make no sense why Carnival would try to charge the OP any additional money since they are not losing out on any payment. I would like those who vehemently declare that Carnival would charge a single supplement to show proof. If they were to do this they would essential be double charging as they are not "out any money".

I looked at the site that was suggested for travel insurance. How do I know which plan would cover a situation like this? I was reading through the plans but just wasn't entirely sure.

Thanks for all of the help and advice!

Call Carnival and ask what policy covers this exact situation and get that.

I want to call Carnival and ask but I'm afraid if he does back out then they'll say I had prior knowledge or something and definitely try to charge me. The truth is I don't know. I could be worrying about absolute nothing. It's just the possibility scares me.

For not just the cost or what I might have to cover, but also bc it makes me sad he might back out. He's my good friend. I'm just sad for both sides of the spectrum.

I hope it all works out.