2 weeks before our holiday begins

weezelle

We are stating to get nervous along with all the excitement.

A couple of questions:

I keep reading a Thermos cup is needed - is it to Alaska?

With regards to drink packages - are they worth it - I cant see the need if you don't usually drink that much of what ever it is. Or is a single latte or beer very expensive? Is there ordinary tap water available - my usual tipple.

We are going Princess in June. ( YIKES!!!)

And breathe..........:D

If you only want an occasional beer or latte, then a drinks package is not worth it :)

Insulated cup might be handy to carry a coffee round with you - freely available 24/7 at the Horizon court buffet - but by no means essential

Tap water also readily available

You will love Princess -I do! :D

Be prepared to get well and truly hooked on cruising :)

Relax and enjoy your trip :)

Edited by Darcy15

We never bring any cup or glass of any kind...some folks like to have those huge quart-sized thermoses.....or their own coffee cup. We aren't that picky, and have no need to lug a drink everywhere we go!

Unless you drink 5-6 alcoholic drinks (more like 7-8 if beer) every day, including port days, a drink package is not worth it.

Some people like to take coffee to their cabin or out on deck which would make an insulated cup useful. If you are drinking water it might not be that useful. If you decide you want one, consider buying it in a shop on board. It makes a nice souvenir.

Hope you have a wonderful time but be prepared to come home addicted to cruising!:D

Some like a thermos cup. We do not and have never missed the.

There are a number of drink packages and the specifics vary from line to line. For some a package is a great deal. Prices also vary, but probably about $3 for a latte and $5 for a beer. Usually 15% tip is added to these. Get the prices for your drinks when you board and see which is best for you. We only get a wine package. That works for us.

Tap water is free in your cabin and at all restaurants and lounges (including buffet). You may want to bring one or more empty water bottles to fill and take around the ship and ashore. We like the ones with the wide mouths. We can get ice into them easily

I would never consider an "all you can drink" package unless I consumed 10 alcoholic drinks per day. Something tells me my wife would take a dim view of this.

However, I think a coffee card is a good value. For 30-some dollars, you get 15 fancy coffee drinks and unlimited "fresh-brewed" coffee.

Jim

We are stating to get nervous along with all the excitement.

A couple of questions:

I keep reading a Thermos cup is needed - is it to Alaska?

With regards to drink packages - are they worth it - I cant see the need if you don't usually drink that much of what ever it is. Or is a single latte or beer very expensive? Is there ordinary tap water available - my usual tipple.

We are going Princess in June. ( YIKES!!!)

First cruises are alway full of excitement and nerves. Just relax and enjoy it. Before you know it you will be hooked on cruising too!

I do bring a cup. Either a tervis or something similar. Only reason is so I can fill it up at the buffet with fresh Ice water or iced tea etc and bring it back with me to my room or the pool. We sail mostly Carnival, but have sailed Princess and the cups at the buffet are small and I drink a lot of water and I could have that cup drank by the time I get back to my room. So it makes sense for me. My husband on the other hand, could care less and doesn't bring one.

Personally, we don't do the drink packages. I just don't feel they are worth the money. You have to be a moderate drinker pretty much every day, and as I think I've seen someone else post the break even point is somewhere between 7-8 drinks per day, every day. Now I may be able to do 8 drinks on a sea day, but for sure not on a port day and definitely not every single day of my vacation.

I've read a lot of people that just simply break even with the drink packages, and others that book them just because their bar bill won't be a surprise at the end. It's totally your discretion.

Princes is a great cruise line, great food in the dining room and an overall great time. I think you'll really enjoy it!

I do bring a cup. Either a tervis or something similar. Only reason is so I can fill it up at the buffet with fresh Ice water or iced tea etc and bring it back with me to my room or the pool. We sail mostly Carnival, but have sailed Princess and the cups at the buffet are small and I drink a lot of water and I could have that cup drank by the time I get back to my room.

Me too! An insulated mug with a handle. I love iced tea and, besides being too small for my iced tea consumption level, the cups in the buffet are always glass IME.

Weezelle, if you DO bring your own container, be sure to fill it up from the glasses or mugs that are set out, and not directly from the machine, for sanitation reasons.

Have a great trip!

Sometimes when you read a lot of posts you get the feeling that you must do what everyone else does or you'll be missing out on something special. Do what's best for you. If you don't drink a lot of water, iced tea, etc. then why cart around a thermos mug? On the other hand, as someone else said, if you do find that it would be handy, buy one onboard. It's a nice souvenir and you can drink from it at home while you're planning your next cruise.;) As other say - the Drinks package only is a deal if you drink about 10 drinks a day - I'd be unconscious after 5, I'm sure. My husband doesn't drink - but he does buy the coffee card. Again - do you drink a lot of coffee? The very best tip I got from reading other posts is the clear, plastic shoe holders. I pack it before I leave home - cosmetics, medicines, etc. Lay it folded on the top of my suitcase and when I unpack I just take it out and hang it up. Instant availability and everything is tucked up neat and tidy. Have a great first cruise!