Is there such a thing as too long?

My longest cruise was supposed to be 10 nights on the Explorer (it got cut down to 9 nights when the ship had to turn around for a medical emergency) but yes, I like longer cruises. I can easily see myself doing 14 or 15 nights, which would allow for a nice balance of relaxation and adventure. The longest I'd probably want to do is 21 nights but give me a quick week at home and I'd be ready to go again :D

Do you mean it turned around after it left homeport which I assume was NJ for a 10 night cruise? If so, you still got 10 nights, just not the 10 nights you thought.

I was invited on a 12 Caribbean cruise on the Anthem of the Seas in February 2016. I have never sailed longer than an 8 day cruise. I had a really nice time but by the time it was over, I was glad to be going home. So here is my question ......Is there such a thing as a cruise being too long? :eek:

Who has gone on cruise for more than 8 days and what was your experience like. Thanks.

I've been on two fourteen night cruises and one each thirteen nights and twelve nights. As far as I am concerned, they are not long enough.

I have done 27 & 28 day cruises. I don't think I could do more than 30 days. I wouldn't be interested in an around the world cruise.

I consider anything under 9 days a waste of effort.:D

My average number of days per cruise is 12 nights.:D

My favourite length is about 11 days. 7 is too short, no sooner you are settled in and they are asking how you are departing.

Have done quite a few 13/14 nighters but recently did 15 and was ready to disembark. I cannot imagine a World Cruise! I would need larger clothes for part way through. :)

I don't have enough cruising experience to answer this, but this itinerary is somewhat unique. Given that this leaves from NJ in February, this is not a sit out in the sun cruise for the whole time. If you are happy with a MINIMUM of four days inside, go for it!

I went to the Bahamas this past February and we left in three degree temps. It was cold for 4 days. Then it poured when we were in Nassau-- we basically had 1 beautiful weather day: and I still had a blast!!

I think it is hard for anyone to tell you what YOU would like. I have only had 2 cruises, both 24 days to the Caribbean and back. I found that was a good amount of time to settle into the cruise, explore the ship and plan the excursions. It was also enough time to make the cabin a home from home. I have just booked a 10 day cruise and I'm hoping it is not too short. Each to there own I guess. Have fun on your 12 nighter!

I mentioned previously we had done a 12 nighter. Well, we're booking a 12 night for Oct 2016 on GR. It will be our second 12 nighter and we know it's not too long.

Do you mean it turned around after it left homeport which I assume was NJ for a 10 night cruise? If so, you still got 10 nights, just not the 10 nights you thought.

No, that's not what I mean. My 10 night cruise was turned into 9 nights. The sailing beforehand had to turn around to bring a sick passenger back to San Juan so they could get the medical attention they needed. We didn't board the ship until the following day and we had to skip Labadee to catch up to the other ports.

Did a couple of SIX MONTH cruises a few years back on USS Roanoke and USS Nimitz... :eek:

DEFINITELY *T*O*O* LONG... especially with no Pool or Martini Bar! :D :rolleyes:

The cruises I get to do nowadays are MUCH nicer! Rooms, food and service are a LOT better, too!

Edited by teecee60

Our longest has been 75 days ... and we loved every minute! Yes, you have to plan carefully to keep your bills paid, plants watered, etc, but it's really not that big a deal. You have to plan your wardrobe, your excursions, etc, very carefully, but again, not that big a deal.

We've also done two 35-day cruises. Getting ready for a 22-day cruise. Have 28 days booked on Adventure next winter (b2b2b2b)

We can't even conceive anymore of a cruise less than 3 weeks!

And, yes, one day we'll be taking a world cruise ...

Will you adopt me? I would love to take a longer cruise.

Did a couple of SIX MONTH cruises a few years back on USS Roanoke and USS Nimitz... :eek:

DEFINITELY *T*O*O* LONG... especially with no Pool or Martini Bar! :D :rolleyes:

The cruises I get to do nowadays are MUCH nicer! Rooms, food and service are a LOT better, too!

nothing like a good 45+ days at sea with no port call (reagan for me)...or margaritas poolside lol my sister was on the nimitz 03-08.

No, that's not what I mean. My 10 night cruise was turned into 9 nights. The sailing beforehand had to turn around to bring a sick passenger back to San Juan so they could get the medical attention they needed. We didn't board the ship until the following day and we had to skip Labadee to catch up to the other ports.

I remember it well! We got cheated out of a day! :o

The longest I have been on is a 7 day cruise and I will say that I was ready to get home by that last day. Not that I would have been upset to stay longer but I was fine with going home. It was a 7 day cruise but 3 sea days (really 4 if you count embarkation day) so it wasn't as if there were a ton of ports to see and by the 3rd sea day I felt I had seen all the ship had to offer.

My RC cruise next year will be a 12 day and while that is quite long it only has 4 sea days. It is so port intensive and there will be so many amazing places to see that I think it will fly by and the only reason I will be happy it is over will be because I will probably be absolutely exhausted.

I am more than happy to find out if 12 is too long or not. I hope it isn't because one day I really want to do one of the 15 day (or however long) Hawaiian cruises.

Oddly enough, back in the 1980s when I took my first 7 day cruise as a single, I thought this is too short. The next year I flew to England, taking ssNorway back to the states, it was awesome being onboard longer. I've never cared for short cruises and to me short is 7 days. First day is a half day, last day you pack so really 7 days is not long enough!

Being retired, I'm now cruising for 25 days, sailing single going for longer isn't really an option for me, but I would. My sister said recently, I could see you going for 45 or 60 days and I replied yes, I would but I have to be able to afford to go! :)

We've done 4 night - 14 night cruises thus far.

This winter we have a 9 night booked which seems to be my happy amount. Next year we have a 15 night TA booked and I'm very much looking forward to it.

Edited by notsomadhatter

As has been said, it is a personal matter...depends on your own preferences.

My shortest was a six nighter, and my longest was a 16 nighter. As someone commented, 7 nights is way too short...just when you are getting comfortable, they are giving you disembarkation details. Kind of puts a downer on your mood to start thinking about that so soon.

My retirement gift to myself will be a full 100+ day circumnavigation of the world, on one of the lines that do that. I'm sure I'll still regret having to disembark at the end...;)

Maybe the OP should ask "Super Mario", I believe he's called, with something like 5,000 plus days on RCI.....:p

When I boarded the ship for my first cruise longer than 7 days, I thought that I finally had a cruise that I would not be let down after the cruise was over. Wow, 11 days, that seemed like forever! After 11 great days it was time to leave and I probably was perhaps a little more let down that it was over. As of now, the longest is 3 weeks and that has not even come close in being "too long."