Silver Galapagos - Cabin Location Question

mando_cpa

Hello All -

For those who have been on the Silver Galapagos did anyone have a cabin near the stairs/elevator (420 is the one we are considering). Any feedback? Could you hear the elevator going up and down? With the boat being smaller there are pros/cons to may of the cabins and I get that. We are looking at the Explorer Category and just trying to pick a decent room. Deck 3 seems to have more activity with the potential for people walking by the windows. We have always cruised in a balcony room, so never had to think about the privacy until now. Unfortunately we just cannot justify the $3,600+ price difference to move up to a balcony category this trip so trying to pick the best we can with just windows.

I combed the cabin reviews but there was nothing specific. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Take care,

Mandy

We were on Deck 3 and there were crew walking by at zodiac time. Not ideal but manageable. It was convenient for the talks and leaving on zodiacs. Deck 4 would be more private and I can't see 420 would have any drawbacks. We would agree that a balcony is not necessary. We were hardly in our cabin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by 57 varieties

Thank you! That is my thought. We do like to steal away a little "just us" time when on these trips with so much group time, but it is what it is. I imagine this trip will be like safari except for the plush rooms, but still a very busy action packed adventure. Thanks again!

First thing to say is that I have not sailed on the Silver Galapagos or any of its earlier incarnations. However, I have sailed on the Island Sky, Caledonian Sky and Corinthian and they are sister ships, originally Renaissance Class. So I know the ships and the cabins. I'd recommend a cabin on Deck 2. It will be the largest available as cabins on higher decks are smaller, especially those with balconies.

I sailed on Corinthian in one of these cabins and was more than happy with it. I've also had the suites on Deck 6 and like these as well as they have inside space as well as a decent balcony. Anything in between is a compromise.

I'd also say that this ship is a bit big for the Galapagos. A ship with about 40-50 passengers is ideal.

Edited by Fletcher

• 3 weeks later...

We just got back from the Western Galapagos cruise on the Silver Galapagos in early May. We were in cabin 335 if my memory serves me right and we were very pleased. Like Mando we also could not justify the huge upgrade to a balcony cabin although this was our 1st cruise ever not having a Balcony.

Did not miss it at all, we were far too busy each day with multiple excursions and literally only showered and slept in our cabin. Would choose the same deck all over again if we would go back. We had long lunches outside on the back of the ship enjoying the beautiful water and views, enjoyed cocktails and sunset in the evening on the back of the ship outside the Bar, Evening Port talk and then Dinner at 7:30, lasting up to 2 hours.

Truly no leisure time or Sea days like on regular cruises to spend in your cabin or on your balcony. Save your money for the next trip, I don't think you would regret it. As far as the traffic from the crew, it was barely noticed as when it was time to get on and off the Zodiacs, we were not in our cabin. In the evening, we had the hot sun on our side of the ship most late evenings so we kept our curtain drawn as to help the AC in the room cool better. Cabin was not huge but again, more then adequate for the time spent in it. Had a great Butler and the Service/Food was impeccable for the entire cruise. Wonderful experience, highly recommend it!

• 2 weeks later...

I really appreciate the feedback. We ended up booking the cabin on Deck 4 by the elevator/stairs. I am sure we will be just fine. We are really looking forward to our trip next May!

Cheers!

I really appreciate the feedback. We ended up booking the cabin on Deck 4 by the elevator/stairs. I am sure we will be just fine. We are really looking forward to our trip next May!

Cheers!

I think you will be amazed at how busy this type of expedition cruise will keep you. Very early mornings up and off of ship and many afternoon excursions not returning back to ship until 5:30p or later. Cabin location will be very low on the priority list as you will see once you are on board. I did manage some free time, skipped one of the afternoon excursions to have a much needed massage. It was wonderful and the masseuse was great! I am confident you will be glad to have those extra $$ saved in your cabin selection to apply towards your next cruise with Silversea. This was our 1st and I would love to do another one of their expedition cruises in the future. May 2017 will be here before you know it ;)