August 12 the Spirit departs la Serenissima

spinnaker2

In the summer of 2012, we were lucky enough to take our first Silversea cruise.

It was a back to back, starting in Istanbul and ending up in Venice.

I recall sailing into Venice as magical, one of those days where everything seems finely etched, sharp and distinct. Seeing Venice from the perspective of the Spirit, standing outside the Observation lounge, drinking a Bellini was incredible.

I can't believe my good fortune, I have yet another chance to sail out of Venice and then return to Venice again!

La Serenissima haunts me still...

Some foreshadowing follows

13933745-9c47-43fe-b331-cf41f670ba53_zps4jpuxede.jpg

a4c2d60b-4229-496a-8395-dc6890e06a67_zpslhwfuu14.jpg

IMG_0149_zpsk9r3qcbi.jpg

612B7BBE-F80E-4EB5-BE1B-B5DA9065B7D2_zpsajuqin8a.jpg

6c18474c-0079-432d-951b-c05313b8ef15_zpshvluh3pq.jpg

Beautiful pictures Candy, thanks for sharing. Look forward to your Spirit posts & pix (especially Croatia and Montegegro) next month. Our 2nd favorite time of year visiting

Venice is during the annual regata (this year September 4th), please see link below:

http://www.regatastoricavenezia.it/?lang=en

Will just miss this year's regatta, as I arrive in Venice on Sept 8th.

a quick sort-of off-topic, but for those Venice lovers/visitors, I highly recommend the novels of Donna Leon and her great character, Inspectore Brunetti. Wonderful scene-setting (for someone who's not yet been fortunate enough to visit Venice...)

• 3 weeks later...

San Basilio quay, pier 25.

At least that is the scheduled place.

It's not that giant port where the HUGE vessels go.

We will be in Venice for several days before cruise date.

Judging from my past visits, it will be HOT and crowded.

I plan on staying far away from the crowded areas.

A little more than one week until we depart.

The excitement has definitely been tempered by some trepidation given the state of our very small globe and the agenda of some who have ill thoughts.

Our children feel we are, to quote them, "pushing our luck" by going.

I have tried to explain my philosophy that one can't live in fear, but I am not sure they are appeased.

I say we won't take any unnecessary risks or place ourselves in harms way. Not sure that is a true statement and perhaps rings hollow. Aren't we all at risk everywhere? Certainly the events of the last few years, months, weeks and days show that anything can happen anywhere.

A kernel of their concern has lodged in my mind, and it gnaws at me.

Nevertheless, we are going forward.

Edited by spinnaker2

Spinnaker 2, I'm sending my heartfelt best wishes for a wonderful cruise! There are no guarantees in life but hiding away in fear is not life. I fully understand the kernel of concern and I sincerely hope it will turn out to be groundless! To infinity and beyond.... :)

Thanks Mysty.

Time to start the prepacking.

Take stuff out.

Then put a bunch of it back.

Then at the last minute, add more stuff because you are sure you don't have enough options. After all one must change attire for cocktails and dinner!

Always a challenge to resist the urge to add more. I always say I am going to take less.

Somehow the suitcase(s) always weigh a lot.

:)

I have to make my major packing decisions today, because the luggage service is coming tomorrow to pick up my big bag. With any luck, my cruise clothes will be in my room when I board. That should spare me from dragging all my luggage through the airport like a pack animal. I'll travel with enough attire to see me through my two pre-cruise days in Venice. It's a challenge for me to make the clothing choices this early - but enforced discipline can be a good thing.

Well . . . I'll still have one checked bag in addition to my carry-on. (I'm pretty high maintenance and love my wardrobe.)

I booked a smaller hotel on my own for two nights before the cruise. Does it appear that the majority of the passengers will be at the Marriott?

San Basilio quay, pier 25.

At least that is the scheduled place.

It's not that giant port where the HUGE vessels go.

We will be in Venice for several days before cruise date.

Judging from my past visits, it will be HOT and crowded.

I plan on staying far away from the crowded areas.

San Basilio is so convenient to everything! You can walk, a sort of round-about scenic walk, to St. Mark's. Also, you can take the public vaporetto anywhere. We were in port on the Spirit in June 2015 and it was hot. DH and I didn't mind it so much...everything was so lovely! Have a wonderful, safe trip and very much looking forward to your reports.

Tomorrow is the day!

Off to Italy and Venice.

It's also our 42 wedding anniversary.

The excitement is palpable!

Happy anniversary. What a wonderful way to celebrate the occasion. Best wishes for a safe journey and a marvelous cruises.