Muse Venetian Society inaugural, V. 6706, 6706B

MarilynA

Do any of you more seasoned or knowledgeable Silversea travelers have any advice regarding the inaugural Venetian Society voyage 6706 from Nice to Istanbul, May 3, 2017? I currently have a deposit on this voyage, but full price is due by June 30 in order to realize a 10% discount, so I need to get off the fence soon.

One concern of mine is that there is a sub-voyage scheduled, 6706 B, from Rome to Istanbul. My TA assures me there are no large groups booked on this voyage, but I can't imagine why the need to designate a 3-day shorter cruise also as a "Venetian Inaugural" voyage.

And I'm not too impressed by the "Venetian Society only" status of this voyage, as I've read that "friends" of VS members will also enjoy the same advantages and discounts. This takes away from the apparent exclusivity.

I'm disappointed that the single supplement is a full 100% for a verandah stateroom, but as the date of the voyage draws closer, perhaps that will change.

Another concern is that I appear to be the only person on Cruise Critic interested in this voyage based on the lack of response to the Roll Call I started earlier this month.

Perhaps there are other considerations, pro or con, that I should be aware of. I'm hoping someone will be able to help me make a go/no go decision by the end of the month. The chief attractions for me are the new ship and the itinerary. It's difficult to find Istanbul and Portofino included in the same itinerary.

Going on anything inaugural is normally an act of faith and a bit of a punt. You are basically a guinea pig paying a premium for be a guinea pig. That is common sense.

If you are seeking reassurance however, I am sure you will receive some.

Good luck.

Jeff

Going on anything inaugural is normally an act of faith and a bit of a punt. You are basically a guinea pig paying a premium for be a guinea pig. That is common sense.

Thanks, Jeff. Prior to this "inaugural" voyage is an 8-day "opening" voyage and a 14-day "maiden" voyage, so I am banking on those to reduce the amount of "guinea pig" risk I'm taking. Maybe I'm only kidding myself, however.

Thanks, Jeff. Prior to this "inaugural" voyage is an 8-day "opening" voyage and a 14-day "maiden" voyage, so I am banking on those to reduce the amount of "guinea pig" risk I'm taking. Maybe I'm only kidding myself, however.

It all depends on your threshold. If nothing gets you irritated and you are easy going, then you'll have a great time. But if you are asking the question then perhaps you know yourself and want to avoid Marilyn telling Marilyn off for doing it.

This is one of those questions that no one can answer for you. There are people that will promise you that you will have a good time and others that will simply say you are taking a risk at the best of times and this probably increases it a bit. Only you know what might please or displease you.

Soapy or one of our other ladies who lunch might be more useful than me.

Jeff

Hi Marilyn.......l am on the 'opening' voyage next April and am sailing with a very open mind...in my old days of cruising we would call this a shakedown cruise which l would normally avoid!

As Jeff said it will all depend on how you handle it...by the time you board I'm sure all wrinkles will have been ironed out and you'll have a fabulous time......it's only going to be a problem if you make it one!

I'm really looking forward to it and so should you.....as far as I am aware there are no large groups on board following the three day voyage before l embark in Nice.....and that three day one is for travel consultants for

preview.

Yes it is much more expensive than some others but l actually changed my voyage on the Wind to do this trip so l guess my sense of adventure kicked in....[emoji6]

Sophia [emoji5]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did the inaugural crossing on Spirit in 2010 and paid 200% for the single supplement suite. I doubt there will be a reduction in fare. If it's worth it to you -- do it.

The only inconvenience to my knowledge was flooding of suite 501 in the bow when we encountered a hurricane. Water came through verandah sliding door onto carpet. Guests were moved. No big deal.

Inaugural sailings on a brand new ship are special -- why deny yourself the experience because of "what if's".

Dusababy

I did the inaugural crossing on Spirit in 2010 and paid 200% for the single supplement suite. I doubt there will be a reduction in fare. If it's worth it to you -- do it.

The only inconvenience to my knowledge was flooding of suite 501 in the bow when we encountered a hurricane. Water came through verandah sliding door onto carpet. Guests were moved. No big deal.

Inaugural sailings on a brand new ship are special -- why deny yourself the experience because of "what if's".

Dusababy

Dusababy and Special Cruise Girl, thank you for your comments. The spirit of adventure and the specialness of inaugural sailings are indeed positive considerations, and the fact that at least one other person didn't hesitate to pay double price for a solo fare lessens the guilt feelings. The flooding during a hurricane could happen on any ship no matter the age.

Do any of you more seasoned or knowledgeable Silversea travelers have any advice regarding the inaugural Venetian Society voyage 6706 from Nice to Istanbul, May 3, 2017? I currently have a deposit on this voyage, but full price is due by June 30 in order to realize a 10% discount, so I need to get off the fence soon.

One concern of mine is that there is a sub-voyage scheduled, 6706 B, from Rome to Istanbul. My TA assures me there are no large groups booked on this voyage, but I can't imagine why the need to designate a 3-day shorter cruise also as a "Venetian Inaugural" voyage.

And I'm not too impressed by the "Venetian Society only" status of this voyage, as I've read that "friends" of VS members will also enjoy the same advantages and discounts. This takes away from the apparent exclusivity.

I'm disappointed that the single supplement is a full 100% for a verandah stateroom, but as the date of the voyage draws closer, perhaps that will change.

Another concern is that I appear to be the only person on Cruise Critic interested in this voyage based on the lack of response to the Roll Call I started earlier this month.

Perhaps there are other considerations, pro or con, that I should be aware of. I'm hoping someone will be able to help me make a go/no go decision by the end of the month. The chief attractions for me are the new ship and the itinerary. It's difficult to find Istanbul and Portofino included in the same itinerary.

Now included for full World Cruise 2017 guests — a complimentary 3-night sailing aboard Silversea’s divine new boutique ship, Silver Muse, during her Venetian Society inaugural voyage from Nice to Rome, May 3 – May 6, 2017. Join key Silversea executives and be among the first to experience her exciting innovations, exquisite décor and sumptuous, hand-crafted suites.

Now included for full World Cruise 2017 guests — a complimentary 3-night sailing aboard Silversea’s divine new boutique ship, Silver Muse, during her Venetian Society inaugural voyage from Nice to Rome, May 3 – May 6, 2017. Join key Silversea executives and be among the first to experience her exciting innovations, exquisite décor and sumptuous, hand-crafted suites.

Hmmm, very interesting. I'm not sure how I feel about this; it probably depends upon how many WC travelers would actually take SS up on this offer. Sure wish my TA or Silversea could have given me this explanation when asked, but I knew someone on CC would have the answer. Thank you, DCCruiser.

This year, there were about 200 world cruisers - most attended the special WC events. In 2015 there were about 170 WCs. Thus, I would anticipate about 175 to 200 WCs and most, if not all, would probably take the 3 day special cruise on the Muse. Just my opinion.

Edited by DCCruiser57

Not on for the '17 WC but I agree that the great majority of those who are will gladly jump on the Muse for 3 days. You could call that a group only because they have been together for 4 months! We are signed on two early segments. We do not usually do Inaugural nor Maiden voyages but I have a feeling that maybe this is IT and SS may have finally gotten it right. See you there![emoji568][emoji4]

This year, there were about 200 world cruisers - most attended the special WC events. In 2015 there were about 170 WCs. Thus, I would anticipate about 175 to 200 WCs and most, if not all, would probably take the 3 day special cruise on the Muse. Just my opinion.

This also explains why some of the excursions listed for Nice didn't seem to apply to passengers embarking in Nice. I just assumed someone in haste cut-and-pasted excursion information from another cruise. Silversea also doesn't have any pre-cruise hotel options listed, which also seems a bit strange for being less than 12 months away.

• 6 months later...

Dear Duct Tape,

Do hope you are enjoying your sail round the WI, not least to keep in some warmth!!

You are fortunate, as we are not as warm as you are, so enjoy while you can, so sorry to have missed you in Sandakan last year when you were on the Whisper and we were on the Shadow, taking second place to you, who were docked and we had to tender!!

You do not say which cruise you are doing - other than "two early segments".

We must be "stupid" - being a long time cruiser, we would never do an "inaugural", it is not only you who do not know the ship, but also the crew - however for whatever reason we have decided to do the "first cruise - with engineers, workmen, whatever you will, no doubt we will be sailing with them all and the "snaggers" but I suppose it will be good fun - hopefully!

So when do you Duct Tape join us? It will be an experience if nothing else - and at least we will get to sleep in a bed that no one else has ever slept in!!

Kindest regards

Master Echo

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Marilyn.......l am on the 'opening' voyage next April and am sailing with a very open mind...in my old days of cruising we would call this a shakedown cruise which l would normally avoid!

As Jeff said it will all depend on how you handle it...by the time you board I'm sure all wrinkles will have been ironed out and you'll have a fabulous time......it's only going to be a problem if you make it one!

I'm really looking forward to it and so should you.....as far as I am aware there are no large groups on board following the three day voyage before l embark in Nice.....and that three day one is for travel consultants for

preview.

Yes it is much more expensive than some others but l actually changed my voyage on the Wind to do this trip so l guess my sense of adventure kicked in....[emoji6]

Sophia [emoji5]

Hi Sophia, we're going on this cruise and haven't found a roll call. Do you know if they will start one? We'd love to discover what others are doing in the ports of call.

Hi Mermaid,

No roll call by the look of it and unsure if one will be started, best to keep checking!

Seasoned cruisers usually back away from a 'Maiden' for all sorts of reasons and although l am a well seasoned cruiser myself I'm also very laid back and don't worry about anything that may or may not crop up or indeed where I'm going to dine so am looking forward to exploring the new ship and relaxing.

With regard to ports l would look at what you want to see and do and maybe a little research if you've never visited before......most of the ports on this voyage are at least worth of a walkabout which is what l normally do.

I'm sure it will be a fabulous trip...

Sophia [emoji4]