Newbie questions

Mel_100

Hello,

Newbie here, very excited to be joining my first SS cruise on Spirit in 1 month. I have a few questions that I hope you lovely folks can answer for me:

- I've filled in all the pre-cruise info in the online portal and I have PDF copies of my tickets. Should I be expecting anything else in terms of documents in the post from SS?

- how do I request special order drinks? I prefer decaf tea and I know this is sometimes an unusual request

- we usually prefer to explore ports on our own without any organised tour. Do SS provide transfers into towns from the port for exploring on your own?

- the cruise ends in Venice and I need to sort out transfers to the airport as our trip is Cruise Only. Can the ship organise this for me or Can anyone recommend a car firm for this?

Thanks in advance for any help

I only drink decaf tea and coffee. No problems.

If the town is some distance a shuttle bus is provided, otherwise you can walk.

SS will organise airport pickups both ways, private car or coach. Ask your TA.

Jane

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm not sure, but I think in Venice you will need either a water taxi (preferred) or a Vapporetto to get to the airport. I know that is true from downtown and suspect also from the port.

Mel,

Anywhere the ship docks in Venice there is access by road and you might be lucky to find a taxi as there are no taxi stances at the ports.

Near the end of your cruise you will receive a sheet with alternitives for transportation to to airport, a bus or a limousine or if you have a late flight maybe a city tour with an airport transfer after or maybe even a water taxi. If you choose Silversea transport it will be a little more expensive but for the peace of mind and convenience it is worth it.

Unrelated to your question. If there are one or two large ships in port the airport will be very busy and will try your patience.

Have a great cruise and I hope you enjoy the Silversea.

R.

For the one port I have solid experience with costs (Montreal), the SS transfers were insanely overpriced (about 4x.) We were just going from the port to the train station so waited for a cab.

In Barcelona we had a SS transfer (the only time we've used them but it was included because we booked air through SS) and found we had to wait on the bus for quite a while and then there were delays at the airport as well (the bus had to wait for a place to pull up.)

It wasn't a time crunch but it definitely took longer than any time we've done it on our own.

What it boiled down to was attitude - was I rushing to leave, or was I waiting on the bus, visiting with ship friends, extending the cruise experience a little longer? (I will say the transfer leaned towards the former, since we had all checked off the ship and had turned our sights to home after a long cruise so the camaraderie that is present on tours wasn't there. It doesn't help that I'm an anxious flyer and am very unsettled until I'm through security at an airport so my own vibes are negative.)

If you book SS air, you'll get the transfer for 'free'. If I was in a challenging port (i.e. some developing country) I would definitely book it. But in Europe, North America, Australia and Hong Kong, we've made our own arrangements.

Re tickets: this is changing, we've always been sent a paper copy but the only time I ever recall having to show it was to get into the port at the main gate.

Getting around on your own in ports is usually very easy with SS. And they often have excellent shuttle drivers who are friendly, point out sites and are willing to answer questions. In our experience, even when the port is close to the centre of things, there is still a shuttle to the most interesting part of the city. In Darwin, we looked at the shuttle and decided we could beat it back on foot. Unfortunately, we guessed wrong and were caught in a torrential downpour as we walked through the port gate and the shuttle drove past us!

Your fellow passengers are mostly independent travelers so you may end up chumming around with some of them if you are so inclined.

As for decaf tea, not only is it easy to get, if you dine with the same server, they will usually remember your request and offer it to you after dinner for instance. The wait staff is excellent for remembering your preferences.

Never book a transfer through the cruise line. You will pay much more than if you arrange a private transfer on your own. In Venice you can probably take your own water taxi (which I highly recommend) for less than a bus transfer for two people will cost through Silversea.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and help.

I've been looking at getting from the port to Venice Marco Polo airport. I understand taxis will be available in the port but that's a bit boring when you are in Venice!

The Blue line Alilaguna ferry goes direct from the port to the airport. This takes about 1.5 hrs but our flight doesn't leave until 1pm so timing should be ok. Has anyone else used this option before? Is it easy?

It looks like most of your questions have been answered except the one about expecting anything else in the mail. Silversea has changed this a little but typically they send a box with luggage tags and a personalized book that contains information about your voyage. The website states that they will still send this as a keepsake even though tickets are now printable. I would think it would arrive very soon. If I remember correctly, the one for our March cruise arrived several weeks in advance.

It looks like most of your questions have been answered except the one about expecting anything else in the mail. Silversea has changed this a little but typically they send a box with luggage tags and a personalized book that contains information about your voyage. The website states that they will still send this as a keepsake even though tickets are now printable. I would think it would arrive very soon. If I remember correctly, the one for our March cruise arrived several weeks in advance.

Yes, if you don't have your luggage tag strips please ask your TA if their office has the box! Our cruise is at the end of August and we received tags a few weeks ago along with the travel journal from our TA's office.

Yes, if you don't have your luggage tag strips please ask your TA if their office has the box! Our cruise is at the end of August and we received tags a few weeks ago along with the travel journal from our TA's office.

Can I check what cruise you are on? We are on the 30th August and haven't had anything through yet so was just curious. Do the tickets to print appear on MySilversea?

Check on Mysilversea in the documents section.

There should be a number of documents you can download and print, including the ticket.

Luggage tags are not there however.

As mentioned, you should be receiving a box with a copy of the travel journal, luggage tags and plastic luggage tags.

Check with your TA about the box.

Don't forget to make your reservations for dinner at specialty dining venues and excursions!

Hi Mel,

We took the blue line ferry to the airport with two large suitcases and hand luggage and it was hassle free. Tickets can be purchased in advance from any ferry terminal and staff helped us on with our luggage.

The trip took approx an hour and twenty minutes and it was scenic and we got to see other parts of Venice. The ferry stops a short walk from the airport and there are porters if required,it was extremely busy.

Any queries happy to answer. We cruised Rome to Venice late August last year.

Donna

Thanks - the cruise is August 5th so I think I'll call my TA in the morning

Check on Mysilversea in the documents section.

There should be a number of documents you can download and print, including the ticket.

Luggage tags are not there however.

As mentioned, you should be receiving a box with a copy of the travel journal, luggage tags and plastic luggage tags.

Check with your TA about the box.

Don't forget to make your reservations for dinner at specialty dining venues and excursions!

Thanks! Nothing showing there except the guest information so assuming tickets have yet to come out!

Can I check what cruise you are on? We are on the 30th August and haven't had anything through yet so was just curious. Do the tickets to print appear on MySilversea?

We are on Aug 29 Southampton to Lisbon. The booking document showing fully paid is online along with the travel journal.

I don't miss the faux leather travel case but I did like the luggage tags. The plastic ones are fairly sturdy.

We are on Aug 29 Southampton to Lisbon. The booking document showing fully paid is online along with the travel journal.

I don't miss the faux leather travel case but I did like the luggage tags. The plastic ones are fairly sturdy.

Ours is the 31st from Athens but all I can see is the document showing paid in full so I'm assuming it hasn't been sent yet. I liked the travel case although after one cruise you really don't need another each time and loved the luggage tags.

Ours is the 31st from Athens but all I can see is the document showing paid in full so I'm assuming it hasn't been sent yet. I liked the travel case although after one cruise you really don't need another each time and loved the luggage tags.

I've spoken with my TA today who confirmed SS are no longer sending out luggage tags etc. apparently you can get luggage tags at the port when you check in (not really much point by that time surely!)

I've spoken with my TA today who confirmed SS are no longer sending out luggage tags etc. apparently you can get luggage tags at the port when you check in (not really much point by that time surely!)

As far as I know this is not true. I received luggage tags recently and I know others who received themas well.

I have the paper luggage tags and the plastic ones. I am on the August 12 cruise.

They came with the Travel Journal in a small, 5 x 8 box.

I doubt that I am unique. As far as I know Silversea still sends this stuff out.

Because I have a TA, the box came via the TA, but it was sent to the TA by Silversea.

If the OP is not located in the USA, I wonder whether the TA might not have received the same package.

Very possible the TA did not forward in order to save on postage. Reason enough imo to find a new TA.

Received an email from my TA this morning with attachment she said to print. SS had obviously forwarded it to her. I now have cruise tix! This is for the Aug 29 departure from Southampton on the Wind. OP, if you don't have your 2 types of luggage tags with travel book in the silver box AND your 2 page cruise ticket, please call your TA and fuss.

See you on the seas,

Melissa