Pre-cruise Ramblings...

Good stuff! I think of family vacations as investments, and the incredible memories are the dividends down the road. The other day I decided to keep a journal of our vacations, and I listed everything that we'd done over the years, or at least I thought I had. It seems that I had forgotten the overnight and weekend trips--and they were very valuable in the minds of my kids! My kids are 17 and 19 now, and we're about 6 weeks from the empty nest, so my advice is to make memories with them while you can!

Just sent my oldest child DS(22) off to North Dakota for his first real job in his chosen field post college graduation. Both of my kids have been living at home to save money by going to a local University 5 minutes from home. I was so glad I was able to get one last cruise in with him in May after he graduated. We made vacations a priority for us from the time of our Honeymoon. When the kids came along we made to sure to have at least one yearly week long + trip with them and a long weekend for just the 2 of us....plus as many weekend/long weekend trips we could fit in/afford as they were growing up. I don't regret any of it. The memories are priceless to me.

590 days until cruise

It is starting to happen. My wife is starting to get excited too. She has been talking about the cruise more then I have. It is really exciting. Last night we spent quite awhile talking about different places to go in Cozumel. (Mr. Sanchos, Paradise Beach, or Nachi Cacom) I was just happy to talk about it.

Right now we are thinking one beach day. We really want to get the kids swimming in the ocean. They never have before. the other 2 ports we may just stay at the port and check them out for a bit, and then go back to the ship. We figure for our first cruise there will be tonnes to keep us busy on the ship.

Just realized while typing this that it is 590 days until the ship leaves, but that means assuming we are driving we leave home in 587 days!!!!!!!

NO, that website does not allow you to mail the gift cards to Canada.

I read the FAQ section, because I am Canadian also and I've been wishing I could buy the gift cards. Apparently we can purchase e-cards, since they are not physically mailed out, but are delivered to any email address.

Yay! I have a couple of friends who are booking their first cruise....I know what I can give them for Christmas!

Just sent my oldest child DS(22) off to North Dakota for his first real job in his chosen field post college graduation. Both of my kids have been living at home to save money by going to a local University 5 minutes from home. I was so glad I was able to get one last cruise in with him in May after he graduated. We made vacations a priority for us from the time of our Honeymoon. When the kids came along we made to sure to have at least one yearly week long + trip with them and a long weekend for just the 2 of us....plus as many weekend/long weekend trips we could fit in/afford as they were growing up. I don't regret any of it. The memories are priceless to me.

Can't agree more. This is what we did when our daughter was little.

Sometimes I look around and see that we don't have a fancy car, or a big house like my friends do (they laugh that me and my husband "cruised away" the "big stuff" :)

But the memories we created by cruising together as a family, the adventures and the little moments like watching sunset at the balcony or swimming with dolphins in Bermuda can't be measured in 'stuff".

As you we do not regret a minute of it. These memories ARE priceless to us.

Sometimes I look around and see that we don't have a fancy car, or a big house like my friends do (they laugh that me and my husband "cruised away" the "big stuff" :)

But the memories we created by cruising together as a family, the adventures and the little moments like watching sunset at the balcony or swimming with dolphins in Bermuda can't be measured in 'stuff".

This is a picture my son took of his new apartment in North Dakota to show me. Notice he has a shelving unit full of the models of the ships he has sailed on nestled between collages he created from the articles he wrote in college (he is a sports writer). I think those memories might be priceless for him too :D.

13701168_10208494301069089_7707504994701812258_o.jpg.1bce14cb42581526c0b159d381287c6c.jpg

Unfortunately, we haven't vacationed together as much with our children as we would have liked. We've tried to make sure to do at least one "mini-vacation" a year (2-3 day getaway). Plus we've had a few 5-9 day ones. Our upcoming cruise will be our kids 2nd cruise. Finances haven't always been on our side.

I have family that thinks we should be putting that 'extra' money we save into making our house nicer, or a better vehicle, etc. But the way I see it, I have a roof over my kids head, we have an adequate ride that gets us places. My kids aren't going to look back and remember how 'fancy' their room is. They'll look back and remember our weekend getaways, the cruises, the trips to Branson, or St Louis, or wherever. I wish we could have done more... And I'm pushing more now than I ever have to get those great memories in - before all my kids leave home.

I read the FAQ section, because I am Canadian also and I've been wishing I could buy the gift cards. Apparently we can purchase e-cards, since they are not physically mailed out, but are delivered to any email address.

Yay! I have a couple of friends who are booking their first cruise....I know what I can give them for Christmas!

I should tell people to buy these for us the next 2 christmas's...

We just went on the breeze and loved it. Your kids will really enjoy it and I bet you all will want to cruise more after this. It is really affordable, more than people think and you get do much for your money. Best of all once it is paid off you could get by spending very little if you want. Cruising is something that all ages can enjoy. I applaud you for coming here and planning way in advance. I love to plan also and counting down the days is exciting. Not to mention all the tips and tricks you get on this site end the boards.

626 days until Cruise

I forgot to mention in my first post which cabins we had booked. We booked connecting rooms on deck 1. Deluxe OV rooms 1232, and 1234. The ones with 2 bathrooms in each. I am sure the 4 showers will come in handy with 6 of us....

So I have been thinking a lot about the drive lately. We live in southern Ontario. About 3 hours from the USA border at Sarnia/Port Huron. Our plan is to leave here at 6am or so and get to the Indianapolis area night 1. The second day we would leave early again and plan to get to the Texarkana area for night 2. The 3rd day we could leave later and sleep in a bit with a 5-6 hour drive to Galveston from there. I think we will pre-book our hotel in Galveston or maybe just before the island. But I don't think we will pre-book the first 2 nights. That way we are not locked into where we have to drive to. If we want to go further or maybe not as far we can do what we want. The problem is there are not many hotel rooms that can hold 6 people. So I plan to find every hotel on the whole route that can hold 6 in a room, so that we can just call the nearest one when we want to stop and hope they have an available room.

We were in 1277 and 1279 I think with connecting rooms. So convenient but remember the deluxe Ov has 1 shower, toilet and sink and 1 tub and sink, Not a full bath in each. Even still having 2 spaces to get ready times two was very convenient. It was six of us as well.

Another thing to consider is you can use the gym showers to get dressed if needed. They are nice and spacious, free to use and empty in the late afternoon and evenings. I think they close at 7pm or 8. Ask any questions you like, my cruise is still fresh, I live in Houston and sail often. Usually 6 of us with my husband, adult daughter, son who is 12 and mother in law and sister in law. Lots in common.

590 days until cruise

It is starting to happen. My wife is starting to get excited too. She has been talking about the cruise more then I have. It is really exciting. Last night we spent quite awhile talking about different places to go in Cozumel. (Mr. Sanchos, Paradise Beach, or Nachi Cacom) I was just happy to talk about it.

Right now we are thinking one beach day. We really want to get the kids swimming in the ocean. They never have before. the other 2 ports we may just stay at the port and check them out for a bit, and then go back to the ship. We figure for our first cruise there will be tonnes to keep us busy on the ship.

Just realized while typing this that it is 590 days until the ship leaves, but that means assuming we are driving we leave home in 587 days!!!!!!!

Cozumel: mr. Sanchos was excellent. We went for the first time last year after visiting Cozumel many times. We booked online and caught a taxi there. Make sure you wear a watch and set it to the ships time, and plan to get back an hour or two before boarding time. Especially if you do not book a carnival excursion.

In grand Cayman we took a bus to seven mile beach, lots of fun, cheap and beautiful. Definitely visit the port of call boards , that is where we learned of these two places. Living near Galveston, I always wanted my kids to see blue water instead of the water we grew up seeing. Galveston is a nice island but nothing like seeing clear to the bottom in the ocean. We went to dr. Cave beach in Montego Bay. It was nice too. This year we stayed on the ship on the Cozumel day to take advantage of the quiet since it was our first time on this ship, but in November we will go back there. We want to jet ski and parasail.

590 days until cruise

Sorry I didnt think to quote your first post, but this is a reply to the whole thing....

I would think we are the same person!! My husband and I are going on our first cruise on the Breeze this year (we're down to 48 days eeeekkkk) and I have been a planning and preparing and researching monster! Its my favorite part! My husband jokes that Ive researched so much its like Ive already gone on a cruise ;)

We are also driving as well. From your lovely southern neighboring state of Michigan...so a 21 hour drive in all. Its just me and the hubby so we're gonna drive it straight, coming in the evening before the cruise. Hes super excited about the drive...me not so much but those plane tickets were obnoxious so here we are lol

Ive been begging to go on a cruise for years, and he finally caved, but he has not been interested in the research at all. I can occasionally get him to look at something, but mostly hes more excited to just get there and go from there, crazy guy.

You are gonna have so much fun and the countdown will go so fast!!! When we booked ours we were at about 200 days and I feel like it was just yesterday! Have a great time!! Ill report back on the ship for you in September :)

Enjoy the Breeze! We've sailed her twice and love it.

Check out Fat Jimmy's C-Side BBQ on sea days if you like BBQ. Also, the ropes course is awesome. Have a wonderful cruise! We took our first one in April 2014 and will be taking our 7th in October. They're addicting!

Sorry I didnt think to quote your first post, but this is a reply to the whole thing....

I would think we are the same person!! My husband and I are going on our first cruise on the Breeze this year (we're down to 48 days eeeekkkk) and I have been a planning and preparing and researching monster! Its my favorite part! My husband jokes that Ive researched so much its like Ive already gone on a cruise ;)

We are also driving as well. From your lovely southern neighboring state of Michigan...so a 21 hour drive in all. Its just me and the hubby so we're gonna drive it straight, coming in the evening before the cruise. Hes super excited about the drive...me not so much but those plane tickets were obnoxious so here we are lol

Ive been begging to go on a cruise for years, and he finally caved, but he has not been interested in the research at all. I can occasionally get him to look at something, but mostly hes more excited to just get there and go from there, crazy guy.

You are gonna have so much fun and the countdown will go so fast!!! When we booked ours we were at about 200 days and I feel like it was just yesterday! Have a great time!! Ill report back on the ship for you in September :)

LOL We do seem a lot alike!!

What route are you taking down? I look forward to hearing how your cruise and drive go!!

580 days until cruise

Well today is 5 months to Christmas, and 1 year and 7 months until our cruise sets sail!!

The cruise planning has kind of died down the last few weeks. Summer is just so busy, and here in Ontario so short. We are always out doing something. So the cruise planning is going to wait for the most part until the fall. I will still lurk these boards to see what I can learn. Come the fall I will still have a good 500 days to plan so that should be enough.....

580 days until cruise

Well today is 5 months to Christmas, and 1 year and 7 months until our cruise sets sail!!

The cruise planning has kind of died down the last few weeks. Summer is just so busy, and here in Ontario so short. We are always out doing something. So the cruise planning is going to wait for the most part until the fall. I will still lurk these boards to see what I can learn. Come the fall I will still have a good 500 days to plan so that should be enough.....

You don't want to procrastinate:D:D:D

580 days until cruise

Did you decide about driving vs. flying?

I'm kind of bummed you won't be sharing any more planning until fall.....

I've been enjoying your and your wife's planning and anticipation.

Did you decide about driving vs. flying?

I'm kind of bummed you won't be sharing any more planning until fall.....

I've been enjoying your and your wife's planning and anticipation.

Hi I am back... I will post if I have anything interesting to post.

I really think we will end up driving. We will have to see when flights come out for our dates, but I am almost certain we will drive.

We have talked about the drive this week a bit. We found that "Comfort Suites" have rooms that hold 6, and there are quite a few along our route. We came up with a early driving plan last night.

Our house to Effingham Illonios. 10 hours--Day 1

Effingham to Texarkana Texas 8 hours----Day 2

Texarkana to Webster Texas 5 hours----Day 3

Webster to Cruise terminal 30 minutes---morning of the cruise

That seems pretty reasonalbe to us right now

Enjoy the Breeze! We've sailed her twice and love it.

Check out Fat Jimmy's C-Side BBQ on sea days if you like BBQ. Also, the ropes course is awesome. Have a wonderful cruise! We took our first one in April 2014 and will be taking our 7th in October. They're addicting!

I think you're my sister from another mister....we took our first cruise in April 2014, and our 7th is in December. LOL

OP, have you considered a one way car rental on the way to Galveston, then flying back? Not sure what the cost would be, just a thought. Also, since you have kids, look into the Hilton Rose Hall Resort in Mo Bay, through resort for a day dot com. It's got a gorgeous beach, water slides, a lazy river, and it's all inclusive. It's a little pricey, but you only have to put down a deposit, and pay the rest upon arrival, giving you plenty of time to save up to pay for it. We're going back for the second time in December. Also, Nachi is great. Good food and a great swim-up bar. But it's quiet, and more geared toward adults. I think Mr. Sanchos is a better choice for families. Happy planning!

• 2 weeks later...

566 days until cruise

Today is my first day back to work after 9 days off for summer holidays. It always sucks when holidays end. It is like they never even happened after being back to work for a few hours. We spent a lot of time talking about the cruise over the holidays.

We didn't do a whole lot over our time off. Part of booking the cruise was doing less on our yearly summer holidays. We were finding that taking the 6 of us away for a few nights was costing a fortune, and we really didn't feel we were getting the value for what it was costing.

We went to the beach twice, we went to Canadas Wonderland. Other then that we just did some visiting. We felt we were busy enough. Especially with a 2 year old..

566 days until cruise

Today is my first day back to work after 9 days off for summer holidays. It always sucks when holidays end. It is like they never even happened after being back to work for a few hours. We spent a lot of time talking about the cruise over the holidays.

We didn't do a whole lot over our time off. Part of booking the cruise was doing less on our yearly summer holidays. We were finding that taking the 6 of us away for a few nights was costing a fortune, and we really didn't feel we were getting the value for what it was costing.

We went to the beach twice, we went to Canadas Wonderland. Other then that we just did some visiting. We felt we were busy enough. Especially with a 2 year old..

Loving your ramblings...hope you keep them up! Cruising has spoiled us because to us it is such a value for our money...I often sit down at the computer and check out going here or there for a weekend...by the time I price the hotel...eating out..and other costs I think to myself..we could do a five day for about the same amount:D Your cruise will be here before you know it and the last few weeks will be crazy!!

566 days until cruise

We had a strange summer for vacations. My DH has to book his vacation time in October for the following year. This year he took off in May (road trip to New Orleans) and October (Road trip to New York) for our cruises and then took off a week each in July and August because they were open and he wanted to grab some time off in the summer. The only problem was that the weeks he grabbed were the 1st weeks of the month which I have never been able to take off because I am in month close. I gave him grief about it since we have been married 28 years and it doesn't matter what job I had it was always the same. Well the Lord knew what he was doing when he tempted DH to take those weeks off in the summer. DS got his first job in N. Dakota at the end of June (16 hours away) and DH and DD ended up using that week to help DS move out there and get settled. Then the new (used) car DH helped him buy when he got out there blew it's engine the Sunday before last (before he even got the new title back in the mail). We ended up being DS's bank and buying him a new car that we got a deal on here and DH spent all of his week off last week getting and driving that new car out to DS. DH was looking for reason to take a road trip out there and the Lord answered his prayers...too bad DS had to pay for it :D.

DH took one more week off when he signed up in October. The week of Thanksgiving. A week that I could take off with him. Guess what? We are going on a road trip to North Dakota :p:D.

Edited by Warm Breezes