2nd time on Carnival, 1st fun, 2nd gross...

luv2sleep

I always bring clorox wipes to wipe down the cabin. The stewards really don't have time to sanitize everything. I've never had dirty sheets ( i do check) but the pillows absolutely gross me out! Hundreds of different people sweating and drooling on them! My husband rolls his eyes when I ask my cabin steward for a new pillow every time we cruise, in hopes of getting a clean-ish pillow

I think I am a happier person because I have never, ever checked bed sheets in hotel rooms or similar! As a matter of fact one hotel room in New York (when the Australian dollar had tanked against the USD and I could afford very little) I made sure I kept my eyes closed for long enough after turning on the room lights for all the bugs to scuttle out of sight.

Not sure I understand the fascination some people have with hand sanitizers. I wash my hands. I don't use the hand sanitizers. Never gotten sick on a ship. Maybe I'm lucky.

The bed sheets would definitely gross me out. Luckily, I've never had that happen, but I'm sure I'd have the same reaction if I did.

As for Carnival not cleaning, I remember someone recently posting outbreak information for different cruise lines and Carnival fared well on that list. So whether or not I see people cleaning, until I get sick, or Carnival's rate of outbreak gets bad, not something I'll ever worry about. Just too many fun things to do on the ship than witty about there's using hand sanitizer or Carnival cleaning stuff.

You are indeed lucky! The top location for virus spread is the thongs in the buffet area, think about it. Always use the wipes or hand sanitizer once you get to your table or you risk getting sick.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Oh wow no. Not at all looking for a hand out. I am not that type of person. Just a mom cruising with her child.

It was low down in the bed towards the end and I have never completely flipped my bedsheets all the way down before to check them. I've never had reason to. I've never stayed in any Bates motel types before and have never had a bad experience. Who knew you should almost completely strip your bed to check for bodily fluid stains from other people? I had no idea people had to do that. Interesting and disgusting at the same time!

I have never checked my sheets either. Never occurred to me. I would have assumed that they would have been changed and clean. Always had crisp sheets. If they didn't look and feel crisp then I probably would have looked, but I have never been on Carnival before.

OP, sorry this happened to you. I would have been disgusted also.

You are indeed lucky! The top location for virus spread is the thongs in the buffet area, think about it. Always use the wipes or hand sanitizer once you get to your table or you risk getting sick.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

lololol, If I ever saw thongs in the buffet area, I certainly wouldn't touch them:D

Thank you for my morning laugh - and I will be careful about the tongs in the future!

Wow.

I had no idea the average poster on this site that sailed Carnival possessed a PhD in Microbiology. Hand sanitizer is useless. Citation please?

After spending the past few days trolling various boards on this site, (Was curious about the new Vista, somehow ended up here) here is what I have learned:

1: Formal night err "elegant night" is for snobs, and the rules really don't apply so just go ahead and wear whatever you want to the MDR that night, if those who were stupid enough to dress well get upset with your flip flops and shorts, screw them, we paid for our cruise and they can just go pound sand. (See whatever other thread pounded this one into the ground.)

2: Hand sanitizer is for fools! It doesn't work, so just pass that machine on by. We washed our hands sometime ago so we're all good.

Now here are the conclusions I can draw from those two viewpoints, which seem to be the majority from the two threads I've suffered through.

The average poster on these message boards who uses Carnival is so self centered that rules just don't apply to them and they have little to no regard for their fellow passengers.

Yes, this!! I've thought that for quite some time....but you said it better than I could.

I'm sorry, but I have a hard time believing Carnival used dirty sheets, especially since most people check the sheets before getting into bed the first time. On debarkation morning, I have always witnessed the cabin stewards stripping down the beds. OP, are you 100% sure that you could not have caused the stains on the sheets yourself?

I find it hard to believe the sheets weren't changed - they have such systems in place!

I wonder if it is possible they were old/stained sheets? i.e., clean but stained? not to say they shouldn't perhaps been retired from service, but if they are clean, then no biggie.

That's what I was thinking. I ALWAYS see them changing sheets when we disembark.

Do people really think that everyone washes their hands when preparing food at restaurants? When I go to buffet style restaurants, do I go with the assumption that every single person that touches the utensils to get the food, has washed their hands?

I'm a bit O.C.D, so I wipe things down and check bedding when I arrive at a hotel/motel or even family and friends houses. When I'm at a hotel, and I expect my linen to be changed, I strip the bed and get the linen myself. On our last cruise, I checked every inch of our cabin and was very pleased at the results. Now considering I don't have a florescent light, who knows...lol. Also, is it possible that the bedding was cleaned but had stains they couldn't get out? That happens, even when doing ones own laundry.

The incident you experienced wouldn't prevent me from traveling on Carnival again. I'd blame the person who was supposed to change linen, not the entire cruise line.

The beauty of cruising is..there are always other cruise lines. If you don't like one, choose another.

I only use hand sanitizers when soap/water are not available. I think they are harsh and aren't as effective. But they're good in a pinch.. I just am careful with what I touch on the ship but I don't go out of my way. I do make sure to wash my hands frequently with good ol soap n water :)

I also have a hard time believing the sheets were not changed. Why was there bodily fluids at the foot of the bed? I mean, yeah I know where it could have come from, but find it more likely that the OP went to bed with something on her feet unknowingly.. or it was a stain.....

Think of it this way, as a species we're not really fragile as we number over 7,000,000,000 so it is likely that the only thing you might've contracted was a case of the whim-whams after discovering it.

Sorry it happened and ruined your time!

Edited by Viesczy

We just got back from our local Carnival cruise. This was my second time sailing on Carnival. I had a good experience the first time so I booked another trip. I hate to report that I had such a negative experience and will likely never sail Carnival again. It was a 4 night cruise. Yesterday morning after 3 nights sleeping in room, I flung back the covers further than I guess I had before and discovered a body fluid stain and other areas that looked liked they came from a dirty body parts or possibly other bodily substance. Oh my gosh I was beyond disgusted. I had slept in that bed for 3 nights and it looks like the sheets were not changed between us and the prior guests. I tried to call customer service but was placed on hold a couple of times. I went down there and talked to them in person. They called someone to basically smooth things over who offered to change all of the linens, vacuum, clean, and disinfect the room. That didn't help me feel much better. I stayed out of the room for the bulk of the day. I hated being in there. Thankfully last night was our last night.

I then started noticing how even though there are hand sanitizer stands everywhere no one seemed to use them except us. I then was sanitizing my hands before and after I got my food because I was touching tongs and other utensils and equipment that others had been. I was just really grossed out in general so now I was on high alert. On Disney Cruise Line (DCL) they hand everyone walking in to an eating area a hand sanitizing wipe (except on deck where they are located at the various places to eat for you to self serve).

The last thing I noticed that no one was cleaning common surfaces like they do on DCL (banisters, buttons, door handles, etc.). On DCL it seems like they are constantly cleaning these items throughout the cruise. Makes sense because they can't possibly do all of that cleaning between trips and have it be effective. But, low and behold they were starting to clean them as we were disembarking today.

I am an easy going, laid back person, about budget travel. Not everyone can afford to travel and pay more than others can afford so I tend to not look down on cheaper cruise lines and accommodations. Well that's over. I am just so grossed out and so so glad to be home. I had noticed the issue with the hand sanitizer usage and general cleaning during the cruise before but had not paid that much attention to it. Dealing with the fact that the gross sheet thing just magnified everything else for me yesterday unfortunately. :(

I think Carnival does an excellent job cleaning their ships. In fact, everywhere you look someone is cleaning, wiping, washing, or vacuuming something.

I never use hand sanitizers. Many contain harmful chemicals that can enter the bloodstream and organs and some studies have suggested them carcinogenic. For example, Triclosan has been found to disrupt hormones and lead to antimicrobial resistance. In some people they cause allergic reactions and cause irritation. Good hand-washing is best and safer.

You should spend your vacations where you feel comfortable--perhaps away from other people. It must be difficult living in those sandals. That's a big responsibility. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oh wow no. Not at all looking for a hand out. I am not that type of person. Just a mom cruising with her child.

It was low down in the bed towards the end and I have never completely flipped my bedsheets all the way down before to check them. I've never had reason to. I've never stayed in any Bates motel types before and have never had a bad experience. Who knew you should almost completely strip your bed to check for bodily fluid stains from other people? I had no idea people had to do that. Interesting and disgusting at the same time!

I always see completely under the covers of the bed I sleep in but not because I'm checking for bodily fluid stains. It never occurred to me to check for that. I pulled the covers back because I'm done talking the top covers and retouching the bottom covers because I like my feet not to be tied down so tightly when sleeping.

OP I can totally understand how you could get the heebie-jeebies over the sheets and bed. EW , Nasty, Gross, YUCK! Hubby used to laugh at my "system" of doing things onboard but after I pointed out numerous things to him he is now a believer!

I Lysol wipe and Spray everything, handles, remotes, fixtures, switches.

I check the bed and under the bed. I hit the closet shelves with a Lysol Wipe. That's my in room ritual ;)

I use my elbow to hit the elevator button and I don't touch railings.

But I'm big on GermX or hand sanitizers because it's affording you SOME kind of protection on the fly. Sure you can go wash your hands BEFORE hitting the buffet but when you've watch someone leave the bathroom without washing, scratch their private areas or dig so far up their butt to pull out their swimsuit that you only see their elbow then they go use the tongs/utensils ..well yeah I'm using the GERMX right before my full body hazmat shower:eek: People are gross and nasty and some of them are proud of it.

Yes, this!! I've thought that for quite some time....but you said it better than I could.

I second that!! Last month's cruise had me thinking how could THAT many people be complete slobs? Yes, feel free gross person to lick your fingers and touch things at the buffet. We were done after that. Nasty people. :eek:

I'm sorry, but I have a hard time believing Carnival used dirty sheets, especially since most people check the sheets before getting into bed the first time. On debarkation morning, I have always witnessed the cabin stewards stripping down the beds. OP, are you 100% sure that you could not have caused the stains on the sheets yourself?

This is what I was thinking.

Clarifying....the stain was a crusted dried stain. Not something that can't be washed out. It was likely semen. If it wasn't there when we were first given the room that means that someone used their master key and came into our stateroom and had sex or something in there. It wasn't me because I had nothing like that going on for this vacation. Either way that's pretty gross. Now I know to check sheets. I've never done that before. We wash hands before dinner. Maybe I'll be more positive and think everyone has too!

image.jpg.4534cac1eeee8b137c66156f66aa37a2.jpg

Clarifying....the stain was a crusted dried stain. Not something that can't be washed out. It was likely semen. If it wasn't there when we were first given the room that means that someone used their master key and came into our stateroom and had sex or something in there. It wasn't me because I had nothing like that going on for this vacation. Either way that's pretty gross. Now I know to check sheets. I've never done that before. We wash hands before dinner. Maybe I'll be more positive and think everyone has too!

Yes I would agree this is gross and unacceptable. The first thing I do whenever I go to my cabin & hotel room is to check for bedbug and surprises like this.