Carnival Hub App?

nealstuber

A little confused by this. The last time I checked, the website said the Hub App was available on all ships. Just downloaded the app and it says Legend is "Coming soon". Is there any connectivity options on Legend? Was hoping to coordinate our large group without having to buy 16 wifi packages....

Latest from Carnival dot com:

Where do the features of the app work?

On board the Carnival Breeze, Carnival Freedom, Carnival Glory, Carnival Paradise, Carnival Pride, Carnival Sunshine, Carnival Triumph and Carnival Vista.

When will the Carnival Hub app be available on the other ships?

Within the next 12 to 18 months. The app will be available on the Carnival Ecstasy on July 18, Carnival Imagination on August 4 and Carnival Valor on August 19.

I, too, was under the impression that this was fleet wide but when I downloaded the app, I realized that it's just a few ships. Fortunately, it is available on the Breeze which is what we will be on in September.

I do, however, have another question with regard to the Hub app? How much is it to use the app once on board the ship?

I, too, was under the impression that this was fleet wide but when I downloaded the app, I realized that it's just a few ships. Fortunately, it is available on the Breeze which is what we will be on in September.

I do, however, have another question with regard to the Hub app? How much is it to use the app once on board the ship?

I believe there is no charge for anything on the HUB app except for chat capability which is $5 for the entire voyage. From the CCL web site:

"Is the Carnival HUB app free?

The app is free to download and use on board. For a small additional fee ($5 USD for the voyage) the HUB App offers chat."

The app is free & can be used to check your account & the fun times info. I think deck plans are on it as well as open times for various dining venues. Chat feature is $5 per device for the whole cruise. We used it on Freedom when we were traveling with 2 other couples. It came in handy for checking in with each other & figuring out when & where to meet up.

we used it on Pride - had kids who had ipods and were able to keep in touch, however...only people in same cabin can chat with a minor. this is a good thing but we wanted them to connect also with grandparents so were able to create a group. this worked fine except on little blip when seas were rough and kids were seasick....took a little time to coordinate who was going to rescure which kid.

A little confused by this. The last time I checked, the website said the Hub App was available on all ships.

Not sure how/where you got the idea this worked on all ships. I too have been following the Hub app info on the several Carnival pages where it is listed and every one of them either lists the ships it works on or has the disclaimer that it doesn't work on all ships (wasn't available on my last 2 cruises -January 2016 & June 2016).

Even the download site listing on Apple AppStore lists the ships it works on.

Edited by lizardhowson

Not sure how/where you got the idea this worked on all ships. on.

I did something really crazy. I googled "Carnival Wifi" was directed to the Carnival site and typed "Wifi" in the search bar.

I got the result below and decide to load the app. Maybe I should have read a little further before doing so, but my reading comprehension is no worse than those on this thread who missed the party where I said the app said it was not available.

IMG_1469312795.655877.jpg.9f5b6ef868fb9494277a720c1246745c.jpg

I did something really crazy. I googled "Carnival Wifi" was directed to the Carnival site and typed "Wifi" in the search bar.

I got the result below and decide to load the app. Maybe I should have read a little further before doing so, but my reading comprehension is no worse than those on this thread who missed the party where I said the app said it was not available.

[ATTACH]390591[/ATTACH]

In looking into the HUB app for our next Carnival cruise, I too initially overlooked the part about current (and future) availability. It happens to the best of us I guess. ;)

How are some using chat without the app? Or is it just fb messenger with the social media package?

We used the app for the map and activities. Can look at the Fun Times for the future days - that's great.

We used the media package and Facebook Messenger to communicate with each other.

Love the HUB app.

We used the app for the map and activities. Can look at the Fun Times for the future days - that's great.

We used the media package and Facebook Messenger to communicate with each other.

Love the HUB app.

So you can't use the chat feature without the app? I don't use fb messenger and as far as I know the app isn't available on the one we are going on. No big deal because we can just meet up at certain times. Just wondering

So you can't use the chat feature without the app? I don't use fb messenger and as far as I know the app isn't available on the one we are going on. No big deal because we can just meet up at certain times. Just wondering

The chat feature mentioned here is part of the HUB app so no, without that app there is no chat. There are other methods (using ship's internet and wifi) and you mentioned FB messenger as one.

Thought I read somewhere that I messages will work between IPhones on airplane mode aboard the cruise with no charges attached. Can anyone verify this? we will be going a long with another couple with all 4 of us having IPhones.

Thought I read somewhere that I messages will work between IPhones on airplane mode aboard the cruise with no charges attached. Can anyone verify this? we will be going a long with another couple with all 4 of us having IPhones.

I messaging will work on the ships WIFI however you will need to purchase at least the social media package.

If I remember correctly it was 25.00 for a 7 day cruise. We get this so family can reach us in case of an emergency!! 25.00 is a small price to pay for Peace of Mind knowing we can be reached while on the ship. Also only one device can be signed in at a time so if its a large group walkie talkies or a place to leave meet up notes might be for cost effective. Example dry erase board.

Edited by Ruby0704

You download the app on each device you plan to use on the cruise. Pay $5 per device for chat - that's all it is, simple chat. No need to purchase any social package unless you plan to post to fb or send messages back home via fb messaging.

However, since the ship you are sailing doesn't have the hub active yet, you will have to leave notes or use your cabin phone for leaving voice messages for each other. Some people use their phone text plans, but then you're paying carrier charges for texting. I've heard it's 50 cents per outgoing text, but I recommend you verify any of that type of use with your phone carrier.

Walkie talkies can also be used, but not sure how effectively. We tried them last time & noticed that when we were in the lobby where it was noisy, we didn't hear the other party and never answered them.

Edited by dmdiver

we used it on Pride - had kids who had ipods and were able to keep in touch, however...only people in same cabin can chat with a minor. this is a good thing but we wanted them to connect also with grandparents so were able to create a group. this worked fine except on little blip when seas were rough and kids were seasick....took a little time to coordinate who was going to rescure which kid.

I have a question about this. We're planning on getting the chat feature to keep in touch with our teens. They're staying in the cabin next door. Are you saying that we won't be able to keep in touch with them because they're in a different cabin and minors?

Based on the OP's screenshot, I think the confusion started with the fact that Carnival has named their Internet cafes "hubs" (Fun Hub?) and now they have this new app called the hub as well... The carnival info says the Internet cafe is available on all ships and wifi is available on all ships, but not that the Hub App is available on all ships. Maybe Carnival should consider some branding changes

Just download the Facebook messenger app and purchase the cheapest social media plan. That is what we did. I had to purchase a social media plan for each teen but it was worth it to me to be able to communicate onboard. Like ask where are you, or meet here at such n such time. We tried Walkie talkies but could not hear them and when we turned the volume up they squawked so loudly and disturbed those around us so we quit using them as they were ineffective anyway since we couldn't hear and no way to know when we were being contacted. These were expensive Walkie talkies. Now, I did look and there is an earpiece available for some Walkie talkies so perhaps if you purchased a set of Walkie talkies with earpieces you would have better luck but I found paying for the social media package and using Facebook messenger to be cheaper and better than buying earpieces for the Walkie talkies. To me being able to keep in touch with my kids was worth the price and I just considered it as part of the price of the cruise. We had 7 of us and it was really nice to be able to meet up and see where everyone was. We just made a group. I am no fan of social media and do not have Facebook or any other social media at home but I found the fb messenger really simple and I just used my cell #. No need to make an acct. just be sure to put your phone in airplane mode

Social media plan per person for sure, if not everyone is on Facebook or iPhones, they say you can also use WhatsApp, which will allow for cross-platform (iOS, Android, PC) messaging which should cover everyone in your group. Just download the app and follow it's instructions for creating a messaging profile and connecting with each other.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have a question about this. We're planning on getting the chat feature to keep in touch with our teens. They're staying in the cabin next door. Are you saying that we won't be able to keep in touch with them because they're in a different cabin and minors?

This is what Carnival says:

Can minors use chat?

For safety reason, parents and guardians must give consent within the app for guests 12 years and under to activate onboard chat.

I read to mean they just need your consent. it certainly does not say anything about being in same cabin.

Social media plan per person for sure, if not everyone is on Facebook or iPhones, they say you can also use WhatsApp, which will allow for cross-platform (iOS, Android, PC) messaging which should cover everyone in your group. Just download the app and follow it's instructions for creating a messaging profile and connecting with each other.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you.