Fond memories of Carnival Holiday

Essiesmom

For those of you who would like to sail on her just one more time, you could make it a very long cruise, as she is doing a World Cruise next year in her current livery as Magellan with Cruise & Maritime:

Magellan1_zpsfbzv6qiv.jpg

I'm just the opposite....I sailed the Holiday back in the spring of 2004, and while I have great memories of New Orleans and sailing down the Mississippi River into the Gulf, the ship itself left me underwhelmed. I think I sailed that size and age ship once more before moving onto the Conquest class.

We were on one of her last cruises from Mobile. I remember laying in bed listening to her creak and groan, wondering if we'de make it back to Mobile. Two pipes burst in the area of our cabin. We made it and saw her about a year or more later in Barcelona. She was all painted up and named the Iberian Holiday.

We loved our cruise on the Holiday out of Mobile simply because it was such an easy, unpretentious cruise aboard a ship like none of the newer ships. She was small, outdated and old but we loved every minute of it.

I remember sailing back from Cozumel to Mobile on our last sea day and noticing that the ship was visibly listing to one side. If you stood in the middle and looked to one side you'd see ocean and if you looked to the other side you'd see sky! [emoji33] I asked one of the officers and he said that it was perfectly normal since the Holiday was an older smaller ship without modern stabilizers, so her way of dealing with the crosswinds and currents was to sail crooked. [emoji23]

Edited by Tapi

I'm just the opposite....I sailed the Holiday back in the spring of 2004, and while I have great memories of New Orleans and sailing down the Mississippi River into the Gulf, the ship itself left me underwhelmed. I think I sailed that size and age ship once more before moving onto the Conquest class.

From your perspective I would agree. When you sailed her she was a 19 year old, very much outdated, very small ship.

From my perspective, I sailed her in 1985 when she was brand new, and believe it or not, when she entered service in 1985, she was the third largest cruise ship. Only the Norway and the QE2 were bigger. After sailing on the Holiday I had no interest at all in sailing on the Mardi Gras, Carnivale, Festivale, or Tropicale, all of which were a lot smaller.

How about a Carnival Capers and a Sail & Sign card from 1986?

Thanks for posting this stuff! I love looking at the older pictures, capers, etc.

I noticed that the 'gymnasium' was only open for a few hours a day. Do you have pictures from this? I'm sure it was no larger than my family room...

Also I noticed the "P' deck. What exactly was this? Promenade, and they just called it P?

They made it sound as if getting the sign and sail card was not mandatory. Were you able at this time to just pay cash also for your drinks if you didn't want to get the card?

Thanks for posting this stuff! I love looking at the older pictures, capers, etc.

I noticed that the 'gymnasium' was only open for a few hours a day. Do you have pictures from this? I'm sure it was no larger than my family room...

Also I noticed the "P' deck. What exactly was this? Promenade, and they just called it P?

They made it sound as if getting the sign and sail card was not mandatory. Were you able at this time to just pay cash also for your drinks if you didn't want to get the card?

The gym was small, with not that much equipment wise in it. It overlooked the Lido Pool. I do have pics, but the quality is so bad that it's not worth the time to scan them.

"P" Deck was the Promenade.

When I first started cruising everything was paid for in cash. The 1986 cruise was probably the first cruise that I was on that offered the "Sail & Sign" card. The rest as they say is history! :D