Portland,Dorset

Hmmm, we meet again, Carol ;)

Only a few cruise ships visit Portland, but it'll be an interesting stop, in the heart of the "Jurassic Coast" :)

Portland Bill is a high & rocky promentory of, I dunno - mebbe 5 sq miles, on the south coast, connected to the mainland by a permanent causeway. Deep into history, it's the reason that "Portland stone" & "Portland cement" have their names, stone quarried here was used for a number of significant buildings in the UK (incl. St Pauls Cathedral?) There are still working stone quarries at the top of the Bill. And rabbits. Lots of rabbits.

You'll port in Portland harbour, former Navy base, home of the sailing events of this year's Olympics & not far from the causeway.

To the west of Portland is 18-mile-long Chesil Bank (often called Chesil Beach), the Portland causeway is the start of it. Behind Chesil Bank is a lagoon called "the Fleet"/"the Flete", a wildlife reserve.

And in the bay to the east is the Victorian seaside holiday town of Weymouth, short journey of about 4 miles by bus or taxi, or probably a ship's transfer will be offered.

Weymouth is a super little resort with a beach & promenade, interesting harbour, smuggling museum, etc and more cafes, pubs & fish'n'chip shops than you can shake a stick at. Most visitors are Brits. This would be your cheapest & easiest option, and would be a good day if the weather's OK.

Or explore the Jurassic Coast.

West as far as Lyme Regis, taking in Abbotsbury, West Bay & Bridport.

Or east to Durdle Door, Lulworth Cove, Corfe castle.

You can make a circular route in either direction, using the minor coastal roads & the main A35 trunk road. Or concoct your own route taking in some things either side of Portland/Weymouth.

But this would take a degree of planning, & public transport wouldn't cut the mustard. So you'd need to hire a car, or a car & driver.

Google some of these names & see what you think.

John Bull :)

We stopped there last year this is my report

We did a private tour around the area with http://www.extramileuk.co.uk/jurassic-coast-tours.htm

We rented the coach for 300 GBP with 12 passengers it was cozy I would suggest not more than 12, 10 would be better

We went to the Swannery, Dorchester, Weymouth & some of the countryside as well as Portland Castle

Just confirm with the driver where you want to go before you leave the port....we had a bit of a mis-communication about stopping at the Swannery but we got it worked out

The Swannery takes Credit cards if you can not find an ATM before you get there

Nice little coffee shop with homemade local goodies

There was a free shuttle put on by the town into Weymouth from the dock

We had a great fish n chip lunch in Weymouth at The Seagull Cafe right on the waterfront

Wow, thank you very much for the quick responses! John Bull, I'm sure you will see more questions from me on this board before my cruise and that isn't until Aug of 2012!:p Actually hiring a car in this port would work as we are traveling with friends from Northern England so he could do the driving!:D I met them many years ago when working at Pontin's in Blackpool:eek:, but that's another story!!!

LHT28, thanks for the info on your experience. I'll check out the link!

Thanks again to both of you.

Thanks, Carol, for starting this thread for gathering information. I have sent out e-mail inquiries for a private tour from Portland to Lyme Regis/Charmouth to specifically check out the fossil-collecting areas. I know this area is rich in spectacular geology, and since I'm a geologist, I am already starting to get VERY excited.

Since we'll be there on a Sunday, looks like the Coastline Bus has limited service from Weymouth (closest stop to Portland), so I think we'll need a private car hire, or tour guide. Does anyone know if there are car rental agencies nearby, perhaps in Weymouth?

Thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge. Love CC just for this reason! And, ya gotta love Royal Caribbean for shaking up our itinerary a bit, by adding an extra port. :D

Thanks, Carol, for starting this thread for gathering information. I have sent out e-mail inquiries for a private tour from Portland to Lyme Regis/Charmouth to specifically check out the fossil-collecting areas. I know this area is rich in spectacular geology, and since I'm a geologist, I am already starting to get VERY excited.

Since we'll be there on a Sunday, looks like the Coastline Bus has limited service from Weymouth (closest stop to Portland), so I think we'll need a private car hire, or tour guide. Does anyone know if there are car rental agencies nearby, perhaps in Weymouth?

Thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge. Love CC just for this reason! And, ya gotta love Royal Caribbean for shaking up our itinerary a bit, by adding an extra port. :D

In Weymouth is SixT http://www.sixt.co.uk/car-hire/united-kingdom/weymouth/ .

Also Europcar http://www.europcar.co.uk/car-hire-WEYMOUTH.html & National http://www.nationalcar.co.uk/Spw/630/uk/EU/GB/BOHW01/BOHW01 (who both appear to use the same local company)

All are well-respected second-string agencies. There are also a couple of local companies.

JB

Spending the day in Weymouth shopping, eating, and drinking some local ales sounds like a perfect day to me!

Totally agree with you! Give me some good fish and chips, nice lager in a pub and I'm a happy camper. And of course a bit of shopping.:D

John Bull, do you know if this is a port where we will dock or will we have to tender?

do you know if this is a port where we will dock or will we have to tender?

Not John but we docked there last summer

The port provides a shuttle into town because it is a working port & they do not allow people to just wander about;)

Try the Sea Gull for fish n chips

Enjoy

DSCF0227.jpg.0392ae60b27f772860009f5f13db2c1b.jpg

Not John but we docked there last summer

The port provides a shuttle into town because it is a working port & they do not allow people to just wander about;)

Try the Sea Gull for fish n chips

Enjoy

LHT28...thanks very much!!! Sounds perfect!:D

Totally agree with you! Give me some good fish and chips, nice lager in a pub and I'm a happy camper. And of course a bit of shopping.:D

John Bull, do you know if this is a port where we will dock or will we have to tender?

Sorry, don't know - but number 28's reply makes sense. :)

Certainly there's plenty of quayside there, and a bit of a terminal. Might depend on the size of your ship :confused: - d'you wanna swap ships' names with number 28?

If it's a tender port it won't be subject to the weather, cos it's a big big harbour & well-sheltered by long sea-walls.

Transfer buses will probably take you to Weymouth's esplanade, between the clock tower & the Victorian bathing-machine set on a roundabout. The town is via the street behind the bathing machine, and the harbour is beyond.

JB

Sorry, don't know - but number 28's reply makes sense. :)

Certainly there's plenty of quayside there, and a bit of a terminal. Might depend on the size of your ship :confused: - d'you wanna swap ships' names with number 28?

If it's a tender port it won't be subject to the weather, cos it's a big big harbour & well-sheltered by long sea-walls.

Transfer buses will probably take you to Weymouth's esplanade, between the clock tower & the Victorian bathing-machine set on a roundabout. The town is via the street behind the bathing machine, and the harbour is beyond.

JB

Our ship will the Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas.

JB, I have to ask....what is a "Victorian bathing machine"??:confused:

Carol

Our ship will the Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas.

JB, I have to ask....what is a "Victorian bathing machine"??:confused:

Carol

Your ship 90.000 tonnes.

Most cruise ships to Portland are much smaller.

But Westerdam tied-up quayside & she's 82,000 tonnes. So a good chance you'll be quayside (anyway, your cruiseline should mention on the itinerary whether a port is "tender", or "may be by tender")

Bathing machines? :confused:

Seaside resorts came about in the 19th century, when the railways made travel easy. :)

But something had to be done for a lady who wished to bathe in the sea -to offer a glimpse of her ankle or bare arm would be far too immodest. :eek:

Some Victorian resorts, such as Ilfracombe, had separate beaches for men & women.

But most, like Weymouth, had only one beach. Hence the shed-on-wheels, in which the lady was pushed down the beach & into the sea. :D

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bathing+machine&hl=en&rlz=1T4ADBF_en-GBGB302GB305&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=OLy1TbTEBJKGhQf53KHkDw&sqi=2&ved=0CCYQsAQ&biw=977&bih=535

The rather smart white one is the one at Weymouth. :)

JB

John is right your cruise line should mention if you will dock or not

We were on a small ship 30,000 grt so we did dock

The bus dropped people off at Brewer's Quay

http://www.brewersquay.com/

TIP: do not wait for the last bus the line-up for the bus was very long

We had a private tour guide so did not have a problem getting back to the ship

Weymouth is a lovely town but if you have the time do go further afield

Lyn

John is right your cruise line should mention if you will dock or not

We were on a small ship 30,000 grt so we did dock

The bus dropped people off at Brewer's Quay

http://www.brewersquay.com/

We had a private tour guide so did not have a problem getting back to the ship

Weymouth is a lovely town but if you have the time do go further afield

Lyn

Hi Lyn,

Do you recall who you used for a private tour? Need advice, not having much luck finding car rental options that are open on Sundays... :(

Thanks in advance,

Hi Lyn,

Do you recall who you used for a private tour? Need advice, not having much luck finding car rental options that are open on Sundays... :(

Thanks in advance,

See my message #3 above

Julie was very helpful giving me ideas of places to see in the time frame we had

Lyn

Your ship 90.000 tonnes.

Most cruise ships to Portland are much smaller.

But Westerdam tied-up quayside & she's 82,000 tonnes. So a good chance you'll be quayside (anyway, your cruiseline should mention on the itinerary whether a port is "tender", or "may be by tender")

Bathing machines? :confused:

Seaside resorts came about in the 19th century, when the railways made travel easy. :)

But something had to be done for a lady who wished to bathe in the sea -to offer a glimpse of her ankle or bare arm would be far too immodest. :eek:

Some Victorian resorts, such as Ilfracombe, had separate beaches for men & women.

But most, like Weymouth, had only one beach. Hence the shed-on-wheels, in which the lady was pushed down the beach & into the sea. :D

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bathing+machine&hl=en&rlz=1T4ADBF_en-GBGB302GB305&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=OLy1TbTEBJKGhQf53KHkDw&sqi=2&ved=0CCYQsAQ&biw=977&bih=535

The rather smart white one is the one at Weymouth. :)

JB

Very interesting about the "bathing machine"!:p Also checked the itinerary on the RCI website and it does show that we will be docked. Thanks for all the info...but I'll probably have more questions!

Carol

Lyn

Portland Castle

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/portland-castle/ falls well short of what I'd call a "proper" castle - more of a fort.

But it's just a couple of minutes walk from your ship.

So whether you take a transfer bus or do your own thing, it's something to see late in the day if you don't use up your margin-for-delay time.

JB

Portland Castle

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/portland-castle/ falls well short of what I'd call a "proper" castle - more of a fort.

But it's just a couple of minutes walk from your ship.

So whether you take a transfer bus or do your own thing, it's something to see late in the day if you don't use up your margin-for-delay time.

JB

we enjoyed the castle/fort

It was an interesting site & the view was great It took about 1 hr or less to walk the grounds

Our driver waited for us dropped us right at the ship

Lyn

• 4 months later...

We will be on the same Jewel TA cruise next year with some of the other posters.

Does anyone know if by chance Portland has a place to rent bikes on Sunday? Are the roads relatively traffic free and bike friendly? We wouldn't bike into the busier Weymouth unless also relatively traffic free, but would take the free shuttle into Weymouth if available. Portland Castle looks worth a visit, as does taking a Jurassic tour.

Thanks for information being provided.

Kathy

We will be on the same Jewel TA cruise next year with some of the other posters.

Does anyone know if by chance Portland has a place to rent bikes on Sunday? Are the roads relatively traffic free and bike friendly? We wouldn't bike into the busier Weymouth unless also relatively traffic free, but would take the free shuttle into Weymouth if available. Portland Castle looks worth a visit, as does taking a Jurassic tour.

Kathy

Cannot really help with bike rentals but I would take a tour to see the lovely countryside & other areas of Dorset area

Weymouth was VERY busy & cobble roadways

Dorchester is lovely also

Be sure to try an afternoon tea with scones ;)

Lyn

Kathy

http://portlandwalks.co.uk/cyclehire.aspx

http://www.weymouthbikehire.co.uk/

http://www.byseacycle.co.uk/index.html

But be warned, Portland Bill is basically a very big lump of rock - with very steep hills to the top. :eek:

My preferred bike would be something like a Norton or a Harley ;)

Across the causeway to Weymouth is mainly pretty flat but traffic from the causeway into Weymouth, and in Weymouth itself, can be quite busy and the roads aren't particularly wide.

JB :)

Archived