What's the strangest thing you've ever seen on a cruise?

time4u2go

1. Big Hair Cruise. Two ladies (of suspect character) were arrested while trying to re-board the SS Norway in St. Maarten. In line right in front of us.....you had to tender back to the ship. Apparently, they had drugs hidden in their Really Big Hair. We had all noticed the "RBH" for a couple of days beforehand, because it was so weird! I mean REALLY Big Hair!! Circa 1993

2. The Mullet Cruise. DD and I cruised on an NCL cruise and met a great family with a DD the same age as mine....21. Their DD kept a "scrapbook" of really bad mullets and took lots of pictures. Every night at dinner, we pored over her new passenger mullet pictures, and the waiters asked if we were OK because we were laughing so hard! Their DD had been updating her scrapbook for a couple of years, and had taken pictures in more than a few states. Circa 2002.

3. The Tangerine Lady. I'd won a free 7-night cruise on Carnival through a booking contest

(sadly interrupted by 9/11, but re-scheduled for mid-Dec. 2001 on the Inspiration Western from NOLA.) There was a "lady" who was tall and thin, and wore a tangerine-color leather mini-uni. Low-cut, sides cut out, and very short. Long bleached hair and probably my (older) age. Too much sun, too much make-up, lots of wrinkles, and toting around a young Buck who was much younger, much shorter, much wider, and obviously compliant. We figured out he wasn't her son due to the non-stop kissing and caressing. This was the ONLY outfit she wore throughout the entire cruise (even off-shore) and was the talk of the ship! Early Cougar???

4. The Twins Cruise. In 1991, we did our first cruise on the SS Norway. (LOVED that ship!!) There was a couple we observed loading multiple trunks (yes - trunks!) at boarding. It was a 7- night cruise, and this couple wore matching outfits the entire time! They changed their outfits at least three times a day and paraded themselves around the decks. We never saw them in the same outfits twice. Never saw them on-shore, either. Apparently, she was a "Beauty Queen" at some point in her life.

4. The Twins Cruise. In 1991, we did our first cruise on the SS Norway. (LOVED that ship!!) There was a couple we observed loading multiple trunks (yes - trunks!) at boarding. It was a 7- night cruise, and this couple wore matching outfits the entire time! They changed their outfits at least three times a day and paraded themselves around the decks. We never saw them in the same outfits twice. Never saw them on-shore, either. Apparently, she was a "Beauty Queen" at some point in her life.

I have to admit this is one of the things that has always amazed me about "twins". Trust me my nose is short and it is difficult to down from it but really, REALLY? Do adults think its cute to dress alike?

On Mariner in 2005, about 30 people and their families from the show, "Little People, Big World" were onboard. It was a month or so before the show premiered. It wasn't strange at all, just a new and interesting experience for us. :)

The people we met were very nice, and mentioned that they were going to be on TV in the near future. :D

I have to admit this is one of the things that has always amazed me about "twins". Trust me my nose is short and it is difficult to down from it but really, REALLY? Do adults think its cute to dress alike?

I should have clarified. This was a married (boy-girl) couple, so they were not "twins" in the usual sense. They were probably late 30's - early 40's, and wore matching outfits EVERY day! That's why we referred to them as "twins". We saw at least three matching outfits every day of this 7-night cruise, and the outfits were never the same. Funny thing - we never saw them at any port!

Several years ago we were on a Carnival cruise. It was our second night in the MDR. We had a table for two that was located next to the stairs and towards the rear of the dining room. Which meant that the area was somewhat secluded from the majority of the dining room. To my left there was a row of three tables with settings for two. At one of these tables was a nice looking elderly gentleman about 50 years old with a nice looking grirl at least 15 years younger. Don't know if she was his daughter or just a traveling companion. The first night they had issues and left the dining room early. This night was formal night and they were both dressed accordingly. She had on a tight floor length green silk gown and looked good in it. We had just given our waiter our order and I notice the young lady getting up from her table and walking away. My first thought was that she was going to the restroom. Suddenly she stopped and looked back to her tablemate and they exchanged some words. She turned back around and started to lift her dress up but she didn't start walking again. She stopped lifting her dress up when she had it midthigh high. Facing away from her tablemate she turned her head towards him and yelled something that I couldn't hear. When she turned her head back around she bent over and yanked her gown over her hips properly mooning her tablemate. As quick as the gown came up she put it back down again and took off out of the dining room. She did come back later but from a different directions. Those two had issues every evening but that was the one and only show and tell evening.

LOL... No shortage of weird..... Especially on the European cruises. We've seen topless women on the balcony below us, a 350 pound woman in an array of string bikini's and a guy in his late 80's that looked like the Six Flags guy accompanied by a woman 2 ft. taller, in her mid 60's with flaming red long hair and spackled on makeup. I don't even want to get into the "speedo" discussion.........

Several years ago we were on a Carnival cruise. It was our second night in the MDR. We had a table for two that was located next to the stairs and towards the rear of the dining room. Which meant that the area was somewhat secluded from the majority of the dining room. To my left there was a row of three tables with settings for two. At one of these tables was a nice looking elderly gentleman about 50 years old with a nice looking grirl at least 15 years younger. Don't know if she was his daughter or just a traveling companion. The first night they had issues and left the dining room early. This night was formal night and they were both dressed accordingly. She had on a tight floor length green silk gown and looked good in it. We had just given our waiter our order and I notice the young lady getting up from her table and walking away. My first thought was that she was going to the restroom. Suddenly she stopped and looked back to her tablemate and they exchanged some words. She turned back around and started to lift her dress up but she didn't start walking again. She stopped lifting her dress up when she had it midthigh high. Facing away from her tablemate she turned her head towards him and yelled something that I couldn't hear. When she turned her head back around she bent over and yanked her gown over her hips properly mooning her tablemate. As quick as the gown came up she put it back down again and took off out of the dining room. She did come back later but from a different directions. Those two had issues every evening but that was the one and only show and tell evening.

Elderly gentleman about age 50????:eek: Wow you must be very young!

LOL... No shortage of weird..... Especially on the European cruises. We've seen topless women on the balcony below us, a 350 pound woman in an array of string bikini's and a guy in his late 80's that looked like the Six Flags guy accompanied by a woman 2 ft. taller, in her mid 60's with flaming red long hair and spackled on makeup. I don't even want to get into the "speedo" discussion.........

I'm just curious...what does the "Six Flags guy" look like?

I got a huge kick out of that too. Not to mention that one goes from being a "girl" at age 35 to "elderly" a mere 15 years later.......

Edited by operafan

In 2005 my sister got married on a Carnival cruise taking with her myself my mom and then our kids who were all in their teens then. About 6 kids total. This was our first cruise ever for all of us. The first stop was in Encenada Mx were the kids all had fun exploring. Well that night going to the show in the theater the two boys had their date with them. A blow up doll they had bought in Mexico! There they were strolling down the hallways with her in between them! It was so funny watching all these men's heads whip around to take another look! One even said, "Hey, I dated her!" Those kids got more laughter out of not only the passengers but the crew too on that cruise. My new BIL even danced with the blow up doll up in front of everyone in the theater waiting for the show to start. During the dance show, I was getting a kick out of the dancers even taking a double take at the "girl" in sitting in the front row! What fun!

You know what's funny about this? That two of my coworkers recently got married to each other (1/16/11) and they took a honeymoon cruise on the celebrity equinox. He told me that they were chosen for that Not-So-Newlywed game, and that when they were taken backstage the Cruise Director told them to say exactly that, because "that's what the people like to hear". He was bummed that it was rigged, but they still won the game :)

I thought this game was so funny the first time I saw it. The next cruise I noticed some of the very same answers. I knew then it was rigged. Haven't gone back to see it since.

On one of my cruises...I think it was the zenith or journey...can't remember..my dh and I were picked for the not-so-newlywed game...I think we had been married 22 or 23 years..anyway..we were not told anything or even talked to before the game started..it was all whatever all the couples said...no coaching at all....:D

Loved reading through this thread, lots of laughs!!!

On our Panama Canal cruise (9/25/09) I came out of our stateroom and started down the hall. A woman was coming out of her room and turned around to say hi to me. Apparently she had been at the pool to long, because her face was beet red EXCEPT around her eyes:eek:, she had worn some kind of goggles and had white rings around them! BTW, she scared the crap out of me! This was on the 3rd day of the cruise (16 days) and she ALWAYS looked like that! We nicked named her "Rockey Racoon". Everyone on the ship knew who everyone else was talking about!

Melody:D

they may not have realized the ship had a pool, but apparently they didn't realize it had a gift shop to buy swimsuits either!

Nor did they realize that is wasn't mandatory to actually get IN the pool . Can you say ewww!!!! :eek:

One night my DH and I were sitting at the bar in a lounge on the Brilliance with another couple that we have known for many years. When the wife left to go back to the cabin to get something, a woman we had nicknamed "Drunk Girl" because of her previous antics on the ship moved right over next to the husband, snuggled right up to him and started stroking his thigh. He was in his late 50's and not a "player" by any means and was too polite to say anything. He just kept looking at us for help and we were too busy laughing to help much (we had had a couple of drinks). All I could think of was that his wife, who is petite but feisty, was going to come back and there was going to be a brawl. Luckily Drunk Girl stopped the stroking and snuggling and moved back to her seat just before the wife returned.

Too polite? Seriously? That is crazy...on his part.

The reference was her age compared to his and not mine. I am an elderly gentleman when compared to him. Didn't mean to be insensitive and offend any young men in their 50's.

That sounds so like something my DH would do, and I would be falling out of bed laughing (ok so maybe after I asked if they only saw the moon??) Good thing he knows I love him dearly and he would return the favor if I was the em"bare"ssed party.