Scenic Reveals More Details of New Luxury Ocean Cruise Ship

LauraS

Hi Travelcat2--by 'raising the bar,' I think the Scenic Eclipse will offer an exquisite luxury cruise experience that will transcend ship size. As to the 'sold out' status, we were informed by Scenic that the 2nd Cuba circumnavigation cruise had reached its quota of U.S. passengers last year, so was therefore removed from the U.S. website. (The 1st circumnavigation cruise had long been completely sold out.)

As to true competition to luxury ocean liners, I think Europa 2 is a contender. Hapag Lloyd is also building luxury expedition ships due out in 2019. There are a lot of options out there.

It could raise the bar if people in North America if people knew more about it. I thought it was an ocean liner and then was told it was a yacht (but they do have ships that do river cruises which isn't our thing). Just went to the website and learned that she will be (end of 2018) an ocean cruising yacht that holds only 228 guests (only 200 in the Arctic and Antarctica) which is obviously only 114 suite/cabins. This is only one ship and I don't see how the could be competition to any of the current luxury ocean liners. Even if it were perfect in every way, the passenger load is so small as to be insignificant (JMHO). The itinerary to Norway is wonderful but there is no pricing yet.

OceanPatter, kindly explain what "sold out for U.S. passengers" means? Is it sold out for Australian passengers and European passengers or only those from the U.S.

I'm confused as to why you though the Eclipse was an ocean liner. The only current ocean liner is the QM2.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm confused as to why you though the Eclipse was an ocean liner. The only current ocean liner is the QM2.

Now I'm confused. Please define "ocean liner". IMO, it is all of the luxury ships that sail on the ocean. When I read posts about the Eclipse being competition to Seabourn, Crystal, Silveresea and Regent, I assumed that they were in the same class. Obviously, I was very wrong!

Now I'm confused. Please define "ocean liner". IMO, it is all of the luxury ships that sail on the ocean. When I read posts about the Eclipse being competition to Seabourn, Crystal, Silveresea and Regent, I assumed that they were in the same class. Obviously, I was very wrong!

The distinguishing feature of an ocean liner is the design, and construction, of it's hull.

It will have a long, tapering bow, a deep draft, will be built strongly with a great deal of steel in the hull, and built to travel fast.

The QM2 is indeed the only ocean liner built in recent years.

Every other ship sailing the ocean besides the QM2 is a cruise ship. I only wish there were more ocean liners. Those were the days!!!!

Every other ship sailing the ocean besides the QM2 is a cruise ship. I only wish there were more ocean liners. Those were the days!!!!

While I did find your definition, most of the definitions refer to a "passenger ship used commercially for pleasure cruises". Apparently "Ocean liners" have a heavier and stronger hull, cost more money and can attain higher speeds than cruise ships. According to one site, an "ocean liner is a larger vessel designed to transport passengers and cargo from one destination to another such as from a European coastline to a place in American coastline" (the grammar is off but I quoted that exactly). Continuing, "Ocean liners move from one point to another are their destinations are fixed. Sea transport is the primary objective of an ocean liner though luxury holidays have become part of these liners today".

IMHO, using either term for a cruise ship would not be confusing to most people. Some people call the QM2 a luxury ship even though she is really a mainstream cruise ship (or ocean liner) that has a section that is considered luxury - similar to what other mainstream and premium cruise lines have.

While I did find your definition, most of the definitions refer to a "passenger ship used commercially for pleasure cruises". Apparently "Ocean liners" have a heavier and stronger hull, cost more money and can attain higher speeds than cruise ships. According to one site, an "ocean liner is a larger vessel designed to transport passengers and cargo from one destination to another such as from a European coastline to a place in American coastline" (the grammar is off but I quoted that exactly). Continuing, "Ocean liners move from one point to another are their destinations are fixed. Sea transport is the primary objective of an ocean liner though luxury holidays have become part of these liners today".

IMHO, using either term for a cruise ship would not be confusing to most people. Some people call the QM2 a luxury ship even though she is really a mainstream cruise ship (or ocean liner) that has a section that is considered luxury - similar to what other mainstream and premium cruise lines have.

You can call me RJ. Or you can call me Ron J. Or you can call me Ronald. Or you can call me R John. Doesn't matter what you call me. I am what I am. And a cruise ship is not an ocean liner. Never was and never will be no matter how many people seem to equate the two. Anyone who has ever sailed the Atlantic on a true ocean liner knows that the experience was completely different from a cruise.

Which cruise ship can match the SS United States?

'The ship was capable of steaming astern at over 20 knots (37 km/h; 23 mph), and could carry enough fuel and stores to steam non-stop for over 10,000 nautical miles (19,000 km; 12,000 mi) at a cruising speed of 35 knots (65 km/h; 40 mph).'

Interesting that you bring it up. Crystal considered buying the old, worn out ship but after examining the ship further realized that it was a "no go".

When we sail, we don't care how big the hull is - how far she can go on one tank of fuel, etc. We want large suites, a ship that carries well under 1,000 passengers and a luxury experience on the entire ship.

I am curious about one thing ........ do "ocean liners" have stabilizers?

Interesting that you bring it up. Crystal considered buying the old, worn out ship but after examining the ship further realized that it was a "no go".

When we sail, we don't care how big the hull is - how far she can go on one tank of fuel, etc. We want large suites, a ship that carries well under 1,000 passengers and a luxury experience on the entire ship.

I am curious about one thing ........ do "ocean liners" have stabilizers?

I don't think Crystal ever really considered buying and renovating the United States. It was just some more publicity grabbing from blowhard Edie Rodriguez who is running Crystal now. Just like the exorbitantly priced air cruises and those new ships which will combine regular cabins and condos. All silly and never to be imo.

Hi Travelcat2--by 'raising the bar,' I think the Scenic Eclipse will offer an exquisite luxury cruise experience that will transcend ship size. As to the 'sold out' status, we were informed by Scenic that the 2nd Cuba circumnavigation cruise had reached its quota of U.S. passengers last year, so was therefore removed from the U.S. website. (The 1st circumnavigation cruise had long been completely sold out.)

I did a double take when I reread this post. Scenic has a quota for U.S. passengers? For one of the first times, I have no response to that comment!

I did a double take when I reread this post. Scenic has a quota for U.S. passengers? For one of the first times, I have no response to that comment!

We ran into this issue as well when we tried to book Scenic's Taste of Cuba and the Caribbean itinerary on the Eclipse. Even though the ship was not sold out, as US citizens we were unable to book. Our TA was told by Scenic that the US passenger quota was not due to their policy, but rather with contracted agreements between Australian and Cuban governments.

Towel-animal, thanks for confirming (and further clarifying) the U.S. quota, as travelcat2 seemed rather incredulous. I'm just grateful that we were able to book the Cuba cruise, effectively getting under the quota. Now, let's just hope that the Scenic Eclipse gets launched on time!

Had to laugh a bit at your post. Any cruise line or hotel that provides slippers lets you keep them. They are likely to last up to a month:evilsmile:

That brought back a happy memory - when we took my mother on her first cruise to Europe in April, she loved the slippers from our pre-cruise hotel in Barcelona. She wondered if she could keep them, I told her 'yes', but she had to call the desk to confirm. She was so happy to take those things home...

I hadn't worn mine so I tossed them in my suitcase to give her as a gag gift for her birthday later this year. ;p

• 1 month later...