Bringing my own water on Celebrity..

travelingfrog

Yes, you can. However, the water on board is just as good, and in some cases better, than many brands of bottled water, some of which is the same tap water as the municipal water district provides in the town the bottling plant is located. Just bring a refillable container and fill it with water from the faucet in your room or the water dispenser in the buffet area.

Agree with SantaFeFan - Water on board is pretty good. I drink bottled water at home but usually just drink the free water in cabin and with meals.

You can bring water with you. Just put a luggage tag on it and drop with luggage.

It's good to know the tap water is good. I know we love the tap water from Canada and New York but the water from So California (our home state) is horrible. We were thinking about getting the water bottle packages for the next Celebrity cruise but we will have to get the bottle from bar/restaurant right? My wife drinks 4 to 5 bottles a day minimum... it would be a lot of stops to get 1 bottle of water each time. I think if you pay for a water package they should just fill your cabin with 12 bottles of water every day. It only cost them like $2 to $3 and you pay like $16 x 2 per day!

I guess we will try the tap water and if we don't like it.. could buy the package onboard!

Edited by lostchild

Yes, you can. However, the water on board is just as good, and in some cases better, than many brands of bottled water, some of which is the same tap water as the municipal water district provides in the town the bottling plant is located. Just bring a refillable container and fill it with water from the faucet in your room or the water dispenser in the buffet area.

It is against the rules, for good reason, to refill private water bottles in the buffet. There are signs there respectfully asking passengers not to do that. Personally, if it were up to me, I would take stronger action to stop this practice. I'm not a germaphobe, but it is unsanitary and should be strongly discouraged.

It is against the rules, for good reason, to refill private water bottles in the buffet. There are signs there respectfully asking passengers not to do that. Personally, if it were up to me, I would take stronger action to stop this practice. I'm not a germaphobe, but it is unsanitary and should be strongly discouraged.

It is not against the rules to fill your bottle in the buffet. It is requested that you do not fill it directly from the dispenser, but use a clean glass to do so. But I have waited patiently to do just that, and had a waiter take my bottle and fill it directly himself. EM

Start with a clean glass every time, even if you are just going back to get more iced tea or juice or whatever. It's for the same reason that you should start with a clean plate if you go back for seconds.

On the off chance that the rim of your glass should touch the dispenser, you would hate to contaminate it, and would hope that others will show the same courtesy.

Fill a glass and then transfer it to your water bottle.

It is not against the rules to fill your bottle in the buffet. It is requested that you do not fill it directly from the dispenser, but use a clean glass to do so. But I have waited patiently to do just that, and had a waiter take my bottle and fill it directly himself. EM

Well yes, I assumed that was obvious but obviously it wasn't, so I should have been more specific. When I said buffet I meant in the buffet as distinguished from doing it in ones cabin. You are obviously at liberty to fill your water bottle at your table or wherever in the buffet from a clean glass that you first filled at the dispenser. The reason for not filling your bottle or reusing your glass at the dispenser, as pointed out by cruisestitch in the post above, is possible contact between the spout of the dispenser and the lip of the bottle which has your germs. This is to be avoided anywhere, but moreso on a ship where, due to the confined spaces, noro and other contamination is more likely to spread than in more normal settings. It is the reason that buffets on ships, and on shore, have breath guards, post signs telling customers not to reuse plates and glasses, etc.

Ship's crew, such as your waiter, should be better trained. If I saw that happen I would immediately inform a supervisor and make it very clear that they need to do a better job -- keeping watch on such things is one of the reasons they are there. My health and the health of all passengers and crew depends on everyone following proper protocols.

It's good to know the tap water is good. I know we love the tap water from Canada and New York but the water from So California (our home state) is horrible. We were thinking about getting the water bottle packages for the next Celebrity cruise but we will have to get the bottle from bar/restaurant right? My wife drinks 4 to 5 bottles a day minimum... it would be a lot of stops to get 1 bottle of water each time. I think if you pay for a water package they should just fill your cabin with 12 bottles of water every day. It only cost them like $2 to $3 and you pay like $16 x 2 per day!

I guess we will try the tap water and if we don't like it.. could buy the package onboard!

The ship's water is chlorinated with sodium hypochlorite (the same chemical used in swimming pools). Here in So Cal, where I live also, almost all water is treated with chloramines, which have much less smell and taste impact on the water. I think you'll notice both the smell and taste of the chlorine when you shower, and won't want to drink it. Out of the tap in the cabin it is horrible.

When they filter the water, which they do at bars, in restaurants, and in the water dispensers elsewhere such as in the buffet, the taste of the water is OK. It does taste "dead" or "flat" to me. Hard to explain, but others used to bottled water have also noticed that. The water produced on board is from three sources, bunkered water from the port (that has to be quarantined for a while before used), or water produced from sea water through distillation (heating to steam then collecting the condensate) and/or reverse osmosis filtering. If they take on water at the port they have to quarantine it, test it, and can't mix it into the water supply for a period of time (24 or 48 hours; I don't recall exactly).

Bottled water is never chlorinated, and is sanitized using ozone and UV light, neither of which leave any kind of taste residue. Most bottled water is then filtered through at least carbon filters, and sometimes other filters including reverse osmosis filters, before being bottled. If you are used to bottled water the tap water on board will taste quite a bit different.

If your wife drinks 4 - 5 bottles of water a day I would definitely bring some with you.

Most of the people who tell you the water is the same as all water obviously don't have a preference. I'm that way with beer. There really are no "good" or "bad" beer, and anyone who pays more for some "premium" brand are just fooling themselves. It all tastes the same to me. (that's a little bit of sarcasm, and not intended to insult beer drinkers who evidently have a very refined beer-orientated palate).

Where can you find bottled water on board, and how many bottles could you take with you at a time if you have the premium package?

You can get bottled water at any bar or in any dining room. You can only get 1 bottle at a time with the drink package, but the next bar is never far away.

You can get bottled water at any bar or in any dining room. You can only get 1 bottle at a time with the drink package, but the next bar is never far away.

Just got off the Silhouette yesterday, and we had the premium package. As noted, bottled was available at every bar except the World Class Bar. For some reason they don't have it - but the Martini bar is close. Some bartenders stuck to just giving you one and wouldn't let you get another right away. Others were fine with giving you another (they would run your card for it). They also seem to have different sizes available from the small "pony size" Evian, to the standard (16 or 20 ounce) regular bottles, to jumbo sized Evian. I'm fine with whatever brand, but it was nice to sometime get the large bottles.

Having sailed a number of different cruise lines, I've found the taste of water in the cabin sink can vary greatly. Last year I bought a water bottle made by Brita that has a replaceable filter built into the cap. I just fill the bottle from the tap and then it is filtered either as I drink out of the bottle as I squeeze the water into another bottle or class. Each filter is suppose to last for about 60 fills and then you pop in another.

Having sailed a number of different cruise lines, I've found the taste of water in the cabin sink can vary greatly. Last year I bought a water bottle made by Brita that has a replaceable filter built into the cap. I just fill the bottle from the tap and then it is filtered either as I drink out of the bottle as I squeeze the water into another bottle or class. Each filter is suppose to last for about 60 fills and then you pop in another.

Oh actually I completely forgot about Brita. I think that's a great idea! Thanks!

The ship's water is chlorinated with sodium hypochlorite (the same chemical used in swimming pools). Here in So Cal, where I live also, almost all water is treated with chloramines, which have much less smell and taste impact on the water. I think you'll notice both the smell and taste of the chlorine when you shower, and won't want to drink it. Out of the tap in the cabin it is horrible.

When they filter the water, which they do at bars, in restaurants, and in the water dispensers elsewhere such as in the buffet, the taste of the water is OK. It does taste "dead" or "flat" to me. Hard to explain, but others used to bottled water have also noticed that. The water produced on board is from three sources, bunkered water from the port (that has to be quarantined for a while before used), or water produced from sea water through distillation (heating to steam then collecting the condensate) and/or reverse osmosis filtering. If they take on water at the port they have to quarantine it, test it, and can't mix it into the water supply for a period of time (24 or 48 hours; I don't recall exactly).

Bottled water is never chlorinated, and is sanitized using ozone and UV light, neither of which leave any kind of taste residue. Most bottled water is then filtered through at least carbon filters, and sometimes other filters including reverse osmosis filters, before being bottled. If you are used to bottled water the tap water on board will taste quite a bit different.

If your wife drinks 4 - 5 bottles of water a day I would definitely bring some with you.

Most of the people who tell you the water is the same as all water obviously don't have a preference. I'm that way with beer. There really are no "good" or "bad" beer, and anyone who pays more for some "premium" brand are just fooling themselves. It all tastes the same to me. (that's a little bit of sarcasm, and not intended to insult beer drinkers who evidently have a very refined beer-orientated palate).

This is by far the very best explanation of the water quality on the ship. I am a big water drinker too, at least 8 glasses a day. At home we have an under the counter reverse osmosis filter as well as quality bottled water when on the go. The last thing I want in my drinking water is chlorine. I never fell for the "the ship's water is just fine" thing. Not when you know what you know. And you know more than anyone! Thank you.

I am covered due to the beverage package, including Evian. But when cruising out of New York, we occasionally do NCL, who does not allow bringing cases of water onboard and does not include water in their beverage package.

Start with a clean glass every time, even if you are just going back to get more iced tea or juice or whatever. It's for the same reason that you should start with a clean plate if you go back for seconds.

On the off chance that the rim of your glass should touch the dispenser, you would hate to contaminate it, and would hope that others will show the same courtesy.

Fill a glass and then transfer it to your water bottle.

That is what we did last month.

I wish they would just have refill stations like you see in airports (and probably other places, but I have only seen them in airports)

• 3 months later...

I cannot justify the $16.00 per person per day - when we do purchase bottled water, we buy from Costco and there is now way we are going to pay that expensive price. Even worse, they don't take it to your rooms, you have to get in line at a bar to ask for it and then be given ONE at a time.

There is a right and wrong to fill personal wide mouth bottles. When I did bring my own bottle. I would use a clean Celebrity blue plastic glass fill with ice and water and dump into my container. Get a new glass and fill it with water and or ice. etc,etc until my bottle is full. This is not any different than getting 3 or 4 glasses of water.:confused:

• 3 months later...

Great information! Leaving for a cruise on the Solstice next week and wondered about bringing bottled water on the ship. I've sailed with Celebrity a few times before, my mother can never handle the water. Gives her a UTI. Typically she'll buy a bottle or two on the ship. I can't justify the bottled water package so bringing a few bottles on board is perfect!

We drink a lot of water at home but didn't want to bother with bringing a case of water on board. We had a few bottles from the hotel that we brought on that we intended to use for port days. We were going to bring refillable bottles but didn't want to deal with washing them. I just went to the buffet at night and used a square plate to bring back 5 glasses of water to the cabin each night.

I know it's from the same water source, but somehow I can't bring myself to drink the water straight from the bathroom sink. I don't even do that in my own house.

Over on the NCL boards, in the weeks after their new policy which banned the carrying on of water, people were going apoplectic. Some claimed that they HAD to have a certain brand of water per their doctor otherwise they were going to die. Others claimed that the NCL water had a high sodium content so their feet would swell. I think part of the issue was that not only did NCL ban carryon water, but their price for a case of bottled water was ridiculous, something like $70 for the equivalent of the $4 case that you buy at Costco. Nice that Celebrity still allows water.

I'm curious about these sodium allegations... anyone experience feet swelling after drinking Celebrity water?

It's not the water that cause the swelling..probably the combo of saltier than normal food, more drinking that normal, high humidity and more walking and standing than you're used to on a daily basis.

The ship's water actually has less sodium than most bottled waters.