Laundry room location on The Allure Of The Seas?

I actually walk on the rolled up towel to squeeze even more moisture out of my clothes. And I just use the hangers in the closet. No need to bring stuff from home for this task. Your air conditioned cabin actually is a good environment for drying the clothes.

:)

Nice tip! This will help out a lot. Thank you!

Maybe Royal just don't want the hassle of laundry room rage that other cruise lines have? There's been some great stories about fights over the washing machines.....

I'm thinking they would rather use the spaces for more staterooms.

I know several people that swear by the Scrubba Wash Bag for DIY laundry on board

https://www.amazon.com/Scrubba-Portable-Laundry-System-Light/dp/B00BUI7HFC

Me, I don't want to deal with laundry on board. We get a free bag because of D+ status and that just has to be enough!

I made my own "Scrubba" for much cheaper using a $10 "dry sack" (waterproof bag) I bought from Amazon. If anyone wants more info, let me know and I'll explain when I'm more awake. :)

I do agree that drying stuff in the cabin is fine, just figure out where the biggest vent is.

NCL used to have laundry facilities too but decided the $$ from a paying passenger's cabin was worth more than passengers' laundry options. I agree it's nice to have this option on a cruise since I prefer to pack less and do laundry once or twice. It's not something I mind doing. Have never witnessed any impoliteness when we used laundry facilities on Carnival or Princess ships. Just lines when people wanted the irons for formal nights!

No way would I allow any ship's laundry to wash good clothes. All are washed in hot water with harsh chemicals. On the 2 lines where we get a bag of free laundry as a perk, they get socks, undies, and other things I don't care so much about.

I bring a small container of detergent and hand wash in the sink. Note on Anthem the sink is not very deep. I also bring clip hangers to hang things out on the chairs on the balcony sometimes too. Or in the bathroom. I agree with rolling in a towel to get a lot of the moisture out.

A private self service laundry is available to each stateroom. It is typically located in the same room as the toilet. Some other names for it are the shower, sink, or tub. :)

I always pack light and use the ship's laundry service. Oh sure it costs money but it keeps my stateroom from smelling like a locker room.

Someone may correct me, but on Royal the items that I remember that can be put into the bags are :tshirts, underwear, shorts, socks and nightwear. Is this correct? That being said, I put in capri pants as "shorts" and also have put in colored or printed ladies shirts as "t shirts" and always got them back in good shape. They are washed in hot water I assume with all the other clothes, so don't put in anything that can't handle it or anything that needs a delicate cycle.

I actually walk on the rolled up towel to squeeze even more moisture out of my clothes. And I just use the hangers in the closet. No need to bring stuff from home for this task. Your air conditioned cabin actually is a good environment for drying the clothes.

^ Truth. I do this as well. I hang items in the closet so they are not in the steward's face when s/he comes in. They dry overnight. :)

I made my own "Scrubba" for much cheaper using a $10 "dry sack" (waterproof bag) I bought from Amazon. If anyone wants more info, let me know and I'll explain when I'm more awake. :)

I do agree that drying stuff in the cabin is fine, just figure out where the biggest vent is.

I'd like to hear about your DIY scrubba

I'd like to hear about your DIY scrubba

So if you look carefully at the Scrubba, and a cheaper similar product called the Laundreez:

https://www.amazon.com/Laundreez-1-Portable-Clothes-Washer/dp/B013C98X72/

... you'll see they're basically designed around the concept of a dry sack, a waterproof travel bag. I bought this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015WLZ3XU/

(Not affiliated with any of these companies.)

The 10L one I bought holds a decent amount of garments (more than the sinks on NCL for sure), folds up nicely and weighs a lot less than it looks like it does. I leave it in the shower and have a 99c mesh laundry bag that fits inside it. You can fill it up with the shower head (it stands up by itself once it has enough water in it), and having the clothes inside a mesh bag makes it easy to just reach in and "agitate" the load of clothes, just like a washing machine. You could also actually seal it up and smush to agitate, which is the idea behind the two more expensive products, I guess.

Then I just dump it out and rinse with clean water a few times (again, what you'd do with the other products). Of course, this is all made easier if the shower has a detachable shower head--I'm used to the solo studios on NCL.

I also do the "roll in towels and stand on them" trick. I do end up using more towels on a given day than I would if they had self service laundries, but the whole thing only takes me about ten minutes a day, and it's oddly relaxing.

I know lots of people wouldn't dream of doing laundry on vacation, but I travel solo and don't want to carry a zillion pounds of clothes, nor do I want to wear a shirt that smells like last night's restaurant. :)

I sent out socks, undies and t-shirts on Oasis in March. Never again, and lesson learned. I just wanted clean clothes as we were doing Disney after our cruise. $35 later I couldn't wait to get home and wash the chemical smell out of them. Most of it shrunk was grey in colour.

Edited by 3hearts4me

I sent out socks, undies and t-shirts on Oasis in March. Never again, and lesson learned...

Yes, have read enough about the laundry service that I would not do this either, ever. The one time on a cruise ship when I did my own laundry was on our first Princess cruise. I guess I must have followed a bleach load or something because many of my darks were ruined, absolutely ruined. :(

Now I only wash in my own machine.

Yes, have read enough about the laundry service that I would not do this either, ever. The one time on a cruise ship when I did my own laundry was on our first Princess cruise. I guess I must have followed a bleach load or something because many of my darks were ruined, absolutely ruined. :(

Now I only wash in my own machine.

I must been lucky so far. Use the $35 bag 4-5 times a yr and never had my t-shirts turn colors or shrink. But all my stuff in bag isnt new, been washed, preshrunk and is only tshirts, undewear, workout cloths. My record in that plastic bag is 14 T-shirts, 10 pair underwear, 10 pair sox, 4 pair shorts. Bag stretch's and learned how roll clothes tight to take up less space in the ARMY. They came back folded in 2 paper laundry bags.

So if you look carefully at the Scrubba, and a cheaper similar product called the Laundreez:

https://www.amazon.com/Laundreez-1-Portable-Clothes-Washer/dp/B013C98X72/

... you'll see they're basically designed around the concept of a dry sack, a waterproof travel bag. I bought this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015WLZ3XU/

(Not affiliated with any of these companies.)

The 10L one I bought holds a decent amount of garments (more than the sinks on NCL for sure), folds up nicely and weighs a lot less than it looks like it does. I leave it in the shower and have a 99c mesh laundry bag that fits inside it. You can fill it up with the shower head (it stands up by itself once it has enough water in it), and having the clothes inside a mesh bag makes it easy to just reach in and "agitate" the load of clothes, just like a washing machine. You could also actually seal it up and smush to agitate, which is the idea behind the two more expensive products, I guess.

Then I just dump it out and rinse with clean water a few times (again, what you'd do with the other products). Of course, this is all made easier if the shower has a detachable shower head--I'm used to the solo studios on NCL.

I also do the "roll in towels and stand on them" trick. I do end up using more towels on a given day than I would if they had self service laundries, but the whole thing only takes me about ten minutes a day, and it's oddly relaxing.

I know lots of people wouldn't dream of doing laundry on vacation, but I travel solo and don't want to carry a zillion pounds of clothes, nor do I want to wear a shirt that smells like last night's restaurant. :)

Thank you very much for the explanation