Jet Blue or Alaska - Los Angelos to FLL Jan 5

taylortime05

Hi - My daughter & son-in-law live in San Diego and they are joining us on Freedom leaving FLL Jan 6 for 8 night cruise. We have our tickets from Detroit to FLL on Delta for 402 pp round trip non-stop arriving on Friday, Jan 5. I thought I'd get a better deal but prices were higher on Sunday.

Now I'm looking for my daughter & son-in-law for arriving Friday, Jan 5. I have found Jet Blue non-stop 8:00 am - 3:42 pm for 226 and on Alaska non-stop 10:10 am - 6:00 pm for 149 for 1st ticket & 169 for 2nd ticket. They are both Los Angelos to FLL. My son-in-law is in the marines so I think most airlines will allow 1 checked bag per person for free.

I have not flown with either of these 2 carriers. Would you say they are both comparable?

Appreciate your feedback.

My airline of choice is Alaska.

All aircraft are 737's.

Free movies and TV shows on your mobile device

Active Duty luggage details are as follows. (Cut and Pasted from their website http://www.alaskaair.com )

Active duty US military personnel with valid military ID: Bags may weigh up to 70 pounds and be up to 115" (linear) without incurring overweight or oversize fees. First 5 bags free;

additional bags $75 eachActive duty US military dependents with valid military ID and travel orders: Bags may weigh up to 70 pounds and be up to 115" (linear) without incurring overweight or oversize fees. First 5 bags free;

additional bags $75 each

* Notice the "and travel orders" for the dependent.

It is a long a$$ flight in a 737 but is doable. If possible, don't put anyone in the middle seat. My wife and I go isle/isle.

When selecting which airline to take,, take into consideration the departure and arrival times.

With the flights you have selected,, the Jet Blue means you have to get up at gawd awful early to get to the airport in time.

Either way,, you're on a cruise with family. Enjoy

I love JetBlue, and they fly non-stop to FLL from Long Beach (LGB) (today showing $171). I like the idea of Long Beach as it is a much smaller airport, easier to navigate than LAX.

JetBlue has good leg room and on board amenities.

I have not flown with either of these 2 carriers. Would you say they are both comparable?

k.

We always fly Alaska when we can. They are excellent in every way. That said, I have heard good things from friends about Jet Blue and since I have never traveled with them, I can't compare the two airlines. I think you are faced with two good choices.

Either one is good. I like Alaska a little better, and the fact that if something goes wrong, they'll put you on another airline's flight, would make them my choice.

If there are flights available. You'd be near the bottom of the pack vying for the seats.

Both are good choices and very similar really. The Alaska flight is actually a Virgin America flight so the in flight experience are pretty similar in my opinion. Both offer in seat live tv and movies, both offer better than standard leg room (JetBlue offers the best in the U.S. with 34inches of leg room). Both offer complimentary drinks, JetBlue complimentary snacks.

In the end, both are great choices and give a much better customer experience, in my opinion, over the legacy airlines like AA, Delta, United, Southwest, and much better than say Spirit or Frontier. Price and schedule should be your main deciding factor unless those extra 2 inches of leg room is a big plus, which it can be.

I try to fly JetBlue as much as possible. Its a great airline from a passenger perspective.

I love JetBlue, and they fly non-stop to FLL from Long Beach (LGB) (today showing $171). I like the idea of Long Beach as it is a much smaller airport, easier to navigate than LAX.

JetBlue has good leg room and on board amenities.

I LOVE LBG!!! I fly into/out of there if at all possible when I come to Southern California. I avoid LAX at all costs. LGB is a great little airport. And, the 4th St. Vine Wine bar at the airport is a great place to sit while waiting for your flight. They have an atrium area to sit in, with very comfy sofas, fire garden, and it's open air top. I go earlier than I need to be at LGB just so I can sit there, have a glass of wine, some tapas, and relax.

Full Disclosure: I have never flown on JetBlue. I fly DL in/out of LGB. But, to me, there wouldn't be much difference either way to sway me between Alaska and JetBlue. But, the kicker of being able to fly out of LGB would give the nod to JetBlue.

No, LAX-FLL is a (former) Virgin America flight using A320s with seatback video.

Hi, you're right. I can book on either the Alaska website for Virgin America website. Is the A320 bad? and what is seatback video mean? Thanks for your input.

Hi, you're right. I can book on either the Alaska website for Virgin America website. Is the A320 bad? and what is seatback video mean? Thanks for your input.

The A320 is a good airplane. Standard airplane of many fleets around the world. Seatback video means exactly that, there is a TV screen in front of each seat for each passenger can chose a movie, live TV, or music to watch/listen during the flight. JetBlue offers similar entertainment with live TV channels and a few movies. It's nice to have for a long flight.

Many other airlines have it too, or have stream to your device movies and TV.

I ended up booking with Alaska (Virgin America flight) from LAX to FLL on Friday Jan 5 non stop leaving at 10 arriving at 6 PM for 99 PP. That was a great deal so I grabbed it. The day before it 149 for 1st ticket and 181 for 2nd ticket.

The best I could find coming home on Sunday Jan 14 was on Jet Blue from FLL to San Diego non stop. They live closer to San Diego so it worked out cheaper and closer for them. It leaves at around 5 PM from FLL and gets to San Diego around 8:30 pm. This was pricier at 236 PP. I wish I could have gotten them out sooner than 5 PM but I was trying to find a non stop flight that wasn't too expensive.

So their round trip price going from California to FLL per person is 336 whereas we paid 402 going from Detroit to FLL.

Now that we finally have all airfare booked I will stop looking and start more planning for cruise. I need to start looking into insurance now.

So? At least you'd be on your way, rather than hanging out at the airport.

Maybe you don't get it. It could be DAYS of exactly that--hanging out at the airport trying to go someplace if your flight is cancelled waiting on available seats.

Maybe you don't get it. It could be DAYS of exactly that--hanging out at the airport trying to go someplace if your flight is cancelled waiting on available seats.

I don't understand this. Alaska will pay to put you on another airline's fights. Norwegian won't. Why so negative?

I don't understand this. Alaska will pay to put you on another airline's fights. Norwegian won't. Why so negative?

Just looking at the facts. Many people assume that an airline will pull seats out of thin air and they will be on their way arriving only a few minutes late. It doesn't usually happen that way, particularly when cancellations and delays are caused by bad weather. An airline will always take care of their own before carrying passengers from a different carrier.