Foreign born US citizen

Pugs&Kisses

So our cruise is a 26 days away and I am gathering all the documents needed for the cruise. I keep every ones together, since I am OCD. I like it, and so do they.

Well, I knew this person was born in France but it never "clicked". His parents are both American, and he was born right outside of a military base. He has two birth certificates, one from France, in French. One from the US government, that states he was born in France.

This is ok to travel? Right?

Yes it is fine as long as he has a picture id to go with it.

Our youngest is a naturalized American Citizen. He was born on Hahn Air Base 1988. He had a Birth of Record and a Birth Abroad sheet. It takes the 2 together for each to be good.

We were lucky because he automatically got a passport. Made things both easier.

Enjoy cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So our cruise is a 26 days away and I am gathering all the documents needed for the cruise. I keep every ones together, since I am OCD. I like it, and so do they.

Well, I knew this person was born in France but it never "clicked". His parents are both American, and he was born right outside of a military base. He has two birth certificates, one from France, in French. One from the US government, that states he was born in France.

This is ok to travel? Right?

To be specific what your friend needs is a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, it's not a birth certificate but a certificate issued by the State Department attesting to the fact that he was a US citizen from birth. If he only has a "birth certificate" issued by the military then that won't be sufficient.

Yes it is fine as long as he has a picture id to go with it.

Our youngest is a naturalized American Citizen. He was born on Hahn Air Base 1988. He had a Birth of Record and a Birth Abroad sheet. It takes the 2 together for each to be good.

We were lucky because he automatically got a passport. Made things both easier.

Enjoy cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As I understand it your youngest is not a naturalized US Citizen, but was a citizen from birth and he has a Consular Report of Birth Abroad to attest to that fact. Naturalized citizens are formerly foreign citizens who have become US citizens and they have a Naturalization Certificate (such as my DW has and it not only looks entirely different than a Consular Report of Birth but is issued by a different agency).

To end any confusion, I think the person just needs to get a passport and be done with it.

That is an option but if he doesn't have the required document for sailing (Consular Report of Birth Abroad) he won't have the document he needs to apply for the passport.

Please dont rely on what is posted here as legal advice. As a US-based immigration attorney, I recommend your friend speak with an attorney immediately about obtaining the proper documentation to travel outside of the United States.

Sent from my VS987 using Forums mobile app

No one has provided legal advice and there is no need to spend money on an attorney (especially since the friend may have the required documentation already in their possession).

To be specific what your friend needs is a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, it's not a birth certificate but a certificate issued by the State Department attesting to the fact that he was a US citizen from birth. If he only has a "birth certificate" issued by the military then that won't be sufficient.

"To be specific what your friend needs is a Consular Report of Birth Abroad..." constitutes legal advice in my book.

I'm not trying to argue for argument's sake, but I would hate for someone to rely on what is read here, not have the proper documentation, and have a vacation ruined because of it. Many lawyers I know offer free phone consultations so it would not cost anything to be pointed in the right direction.

"To be specific what your friend needs is a Consular Report of Birth Abroad..." constitutes legal advice in my book.

I'm not trying to argue for argument's sake, but I would hate for someone to rely on what is read here, not have the proper documentation, and have a vacation ruined because of it. Many lawyers I know offer free phone consultations so it would not cost anything to be pointed in the right direction.

That's the thing with lawyers, they always read too much into things;). That is what the friend needs and that information is readily available on a number of websites including Carnival's.

I was foreign born on a military base that's no longer in existence. I have a small brown piece of paper serving as a certificate of birth with nothing more than parent information and a few statistics issued by the hospital. I had misplaced it when booking our first cruise so I called our local Representative's office, was sent a form to fill out, and returned it. Within a few weeks I received a replacement birth certificate and used that in short order to obtain a passport. Not sure if the original certificate would have been acceptable, but probably not.

Leon

Where is it listed for foreign born US citizens on carnivals website? I search all over?

The website is being glitchy right now and I can't access the FAQs. Here is what the DHS regulations say:

"When traveling entirely within the Western Hemisphere on a cruise ship, and when the U.S. citizen boards the cruise ship at a port or place within the United States and returns on the return voyage of the same cruise ship to the same United States port or place from where he or she originally departed. That U.S. citizen may present a government-issued photo identification document in combination with either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services before entering the United States; if the U.S. citizen is under the age of 16, he or she may present either an original or a copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department, or a Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services;"

In order to be a US citizen you have to be born in the US (and would have a birth certificate issued by a state), born overseas to US parents (in which case you would have a Consular Report of Birth Abroad) or born overseas and immigrated to the US and become a US citizen (in which case you would have a Naturalization Certificate).

Our oldest son was born in England on a military base. We got a "certificate of birth of us citizen abroad" issued by the embassy in London. We also got an English birth certificate. We got a passport for him right away with the certificate issued by the embassy. 30 years later, when he got married, he used that same certificate and expired passport to get another passport. No problem. The certificate of birth is issued by the US government, it's just as valid any one issued by any state.

In order to be a US citizen you have to be born in the US (and would have a birth certificate issued by a state), born overseas to US parents (in which case you would have a Consular Report of Birth Abroad) or born overseas and immigrated to the US and become a US citizen (in which case you would have a Naturalization Certificate).

I was born in Italy and have an Italian birth certificate (fancy with gold leaf and decorations in Italian that I can't read), Consular Report of Birth Abroad, and a Naturalization Certificate. I just use a passport so there are no problems.

As a foreign born citizen, I strongly recommend getting a passport. It makes life so much easier. I've had problems at the Social Security Office, because people don't know how to read the documentation. As soon as they see that "place of birth" is not in the US, they start asking for my green card. Nevermind that United States of America is in giant letters across the top of the paperwork and there's an official seal. :rolleyes:

I was born in Italy and have an Italian birth certificate (fancy with gold leaf and decorations in Italian that I can't read), Consular Report of Birth Abroad, and a Naturalization Certificate. I just use a passport so there are no problems.

It must be an interesting story how you ended up with both a Consular Report of Birth Abroad and a Naturalization Certificate as it certainly isn't the norm.