When Should I Book Airfare for January Cruise

taylortime05

Hi,

There are 6 of us traveling from Detroit to FLL and 2 from San Diego to FLL. The cruise leaves Jan 6 and returns Jan 14. We are going to fly in on Friday one day early. We are on Freedom 8 night cruise.

I am surprised that the airfare is so high at 400 or more PP. Is it too soon to book airfare or will it continue going up?

I was so happy to get an 8 night instead of a 7 night cruise. So cruise leaves on Sat but returns on Sunday. It looks like traveling on Sunday is more expensive. And everyone needs to get back to work so we need an early afternoon flight, preferably non stop.

All these years where we had to plan vacations around school schedules. Now we are going at a non peak time right after the holidays and airfare seems like its prime time.

We are going on an 8 day out of FLL in late January and we will be flying from Detroit and I have been watching for awhile and 400ish is the best I have been seeing too. Southwest is even high and not good flight times. I am going to watch for another couple of weeks and then feel like I have to go for it. We plan on going Friday for a Saturday to Sunday. We flew to Italy for a cruise last spring break and did not pay much more for that than I am going to have to pay to fly to Florida.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are going on an 8 day out of FLL in late January and we will be flying from Detroit and I have been watching for awhile and 400ish is the best I have been seeing too. Southwest is even high and not good flight times. I am going to watch for another couple of weeks and then feel like I have to go for it. We plan on going Friday for a Saturday to Sunday. We flew to Italy for a cruise last spring break and did not pay much more for that than I am going to have to pay to fly to Florida.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Airfare has seemed high overall for me this year. Last year I got a deal on SW to fly from Detroit to San Diego for 150 PP. It was a great deal in May of 2016. This year we just got back from visiting my daughter in San Diego and it was 500 PP. It was hard to swallow but we wanted to go. I thought January would not be a prime time so airfare would be more reasonable. But I'm like you and will probably book airfare in the next few weeks. But this time there are 8 of us so it will be more costly overall. Which cruise are you going on? We are going on Freedom Jan 6. Thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately none of us has a Crystal ball and I mean that seriously.

I typically just start looking at prices early. I look at a site that gives me comparison prices for the various airlines flying that route.

In your case I would also compare prices flying to and from Miami but factor in the cost of transportation between both ports and allow a little extra time for disembarkation day.

At some point I lock in and purchase the tickets.

I do not want to wait too long as I do prefer certain seating.

Keith

I thought January would not be a prime time so airfare would be more reasonable.

For flights to Fort Lauderdale and Miami? January IS absolutely prime time, because of the winter Caribbean cruise season! Airlines know this, so flights are priced accordingly.

As for whether fares will keep going up or not? They'll likely fluctuate a bit but there's no accurate way to know how often or by how much. Airlines use complicated algorithms to adjust airfare inventory as they deem necessary.

For flights to Fort Lauderdale and Miami? January IS absolutely prime time, because of the winter Caribbean cruise season! Airlines know this, so flights are priced accordingly.

As for whether fares will keep going up or not? They'll likely fluctuate a bit but there's no accurate way to know how often or by how much. Airlines use complicated algorithms to adjust airfare inventory as they deem necessary.

It's only been a couple of years where we could travel any time of the year. We are both still working but all the kids are grown now. I thought the 1st week of January would be a slow time for the cruise lines because it's right after the holiday. But I can see I must be wrong. I need to make my airline reservations very soon. Thank you for your feedback.

Hi,

There are 6 of us traveling from Detroit to FLL and 2 from San Diego to FLL. The cruise leaves Jan 6 and returns Jan 14. We are going to fly in on Friday one day early. We are on Freedom 8 night cruise.

I am surprised that the airfare is so high at 400 or more PP. Is it too soon to book airfare or will it continue going up?

I was so happy to get an 8 night instead of a 7 night cruise. So cruise leaves on Sat but returns on Sunday. It looks like traveling on Sunday is more expensive. And everyone needs to get back to work so we need an early afternoon flight, preferably non stop.

All these years where we had to plan vacations around school schedules. Now we are going at a non peak time right after the holidays and airfare seems like its prime time.

If you are very $ sensitive, there is a late Jet Blu flight on the 14th, non stop, that coupled with a DL flight, is only $300.

Edited by buggins0402

I booked our February flights from Milwaukee to FLL as soon as SW opened up the date in late June, and even though I keep getting emails about their sales, the fares aren't as good as what I booked. I would book and then keep checking if you're going with SW as they will refund the difference if a fare goes down.

Hi,

I've had pretty good luck using hopper.com for purchase timing.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

We typically check flight prices, one way and return, to Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, and Palm Beach. A few times we have flown into one and out of another in order to cherry pick fares. We typically have pre /post cruise time and car rentals so this is not an issue.

Tough decisions. Right now I could get round trip on delta with non-stop tickets between Detroit & FLL with perfect time. Leave Detroit around 10:00 am and leave FLL around 1:40 PM for a total of 409 PP.

Or I could fly to FLL on non stop flights with leaving on Delta at 10:00 am but returning on Spirit. If I do this my total price will be 234 and that is adding the extra for a carry on and checked bag for Spirit. But the bad part is it would not arrive until 9:45 PM on Sunday and everyone has to go to work the next day. But we each save about 175.00 per person and there is going to be either 4 or 6 of us traveling from Detroit.

I definitely prefer Delta but is it worth 409 over 234? What are your thoughts?

If "everyone" has to go to work the next day, I am surmising there are two or three adult couples traveling. In that case, make them aware of the options and decide for themselves. Personally, I avoid Spirit at any cost, including a saving of $175 pp.

If "everyone" has to go to work the next day, I am surmising there are two or three adult couples traveling. In that case, make them aware of the options and decide for themselves. Personally, I avoid Spirit at any cost, including a saving of $175 pp.

Bingo!!

Let's ask the unasked question....why are you buying/planning the tickets for all of these adults? Have to agree with Shorex - if these are adults that have the "workday" issue, let each of them make up their own mind. You can just agree to meet at the hotel in Florida, and everyone can go their own way on the trip home.

I've done cruises with other couples. The rule - the ship leaves at XXpm on the YYth of the month. We'll see you on board. I'm responsible for my own transport, using my own priorities including price, schedule, routing and carrier. Same for the return.

I'd just make my own choice, buy the tickets for yourself and tell the others of your plans and your research. Then, the worry and work is off your shoulders and other the people actually impacted by their choices.

Bingo!!

Let's ask the unasked question....why are you buying/planning the tickets for all of these adults?

What they said. Not to mention that you are looking, presumably, at a quoted price based on 1 ticket (or when you searched for tickets did you put in that you need 4 or 6 tickets?). Frequently, the airline site will quote the cheapest fare bucket available, but might only have 2 or 3 tickets available in that bucket. When you go to buy your 4 or 6 tickets, it will boot the price up to the lowest fare bucket that has 4 or 6 seats available in it. You could find your price skyrocket when that happens. All the more reason to buy your own 1 or 2 tickets and let the other buy their own. No need to all be on the same flight, unless we're misunderstanding and it's you and 3-5 minor children traveling.

There are 8 of us traveling. 2 from California and 6 from Michigan. These are all my adult children and their spouses or friend. Also, I am paying for part of the trip for all of them as their Xmas & Birthday presents. They are all young adults so I am trying to plan and keep the prices as thrifty as possible.

So it is not mandatory that we travel together, we could just meet at the hotel the day before.

Also, me and my husband are little more flexible on taking extra vacation day if needed because we have more vacation available than they do.

Also, when I am pricing the tickets I start with 1 but then put in 4 to see if prices changes. On Delta, they normally have indicator if they only have few tickets left at that price.

I'm just surprised how much the prices fluctuate through the day to the next day.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Its high season for flights to FLL and MIA. I have been noticing air fare being higher than usual across the board the past few months all over. I am trying to book a flight to Las Vegas in November and the prices are crazy high, close to $500 a ticket. Delta wants $750.00 a ticket. I used be able to fly Miami to LA for under $300 often.

Anyway, around $400.00 I would wait a little longer. Set up a google flight alert on the itinerary so you get alerts when the prices change. If it goes under $350-$325 I would book it. Make sure to check out MIA too not just FLL.

Last year we treated our 2 adult daughters, spouses and 3 grandchildren to a family vacation on St. John. I nearly lost my mind trying to purchase air fare for 7 over the Feb. break. Husband and I were already going to be on St. John prior to their arrival. Solution? We decided on a dollar amount we were prepared to pay, sent them checks and told them to book their own flights. Worked like a charm!

Just a word about Spirit Airlines - there are occasional reports of a routine flight experience by passengers with full knowledge and acceptance of all the a la carte pricing. OTOH, the frequency of flight delays and cancellations (the next available flight might be in several days), cramped seating, baggage delays, and poor customer service all serve to make this airline a no-go for many. Read the reviews and if you are still willing to book Spirit with eyes wide open, then go for it.

http://www.airlinequality.com/airline-reviews/spirit-airlines/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Airline_Review-d8729157-Reviews-Cheap-Flights-Spirit-Airlines

https://www.yelp.com/biz/spirit-airlines-los-angeles

I think I am going to go ahead and purchase our tickets with Delta for either 399 pp or 409 pp depending on flight time we choose going down. I see the only airlines that offer nonstop from Detroit to Ft. Lauderdale is Delta, Spirit or Jet Blue. Jet Blue is a little better pricing but they have less flights and the return flight home is very late. I know I could take my chances and wait to see if the prices drop on Delta but I just don't know how likely that is.

Thanks for all the help.

I think I am going to go ahead and purchase our tickets with Delta for either 399 pp or 409 pp depending on flight time we choose going down. I see the only airlines that offer nonstop from Detroit to Ft. Lauderdale is Delta, Spirit or Jet Blue. Jet Blue is a little better pricing but they have less flights and the return flight home is very late. I know I could take my chances and wait to see if the prices drop on Delta but I just don't know how likely that is.

Thanks for all the help.

Sounds like a good plan. One suggestion: Once you book, stop checking the fares to see what you might have gotten if you'd waited. Instead, relax wit the knowledge that your airfare is booked, you got the flights you wanted, and have selected your seats (if that's an option with your fare class) while they were available.