First timer going overseas....question about Customs at airport

gkrnjlr

I've never flown overseas before and just wondering what to expect. My sister and I are going to be flying from BOS to LCY. When we get to LCY we'll have to go through Customs, right? How long does it usually take from the time we are off the plane until we'll clear customs?

My big question is....on the return we'll be flying GTW to BOS. Our flight will arrive BOS at 6pm. We have a Jet Blue flight reserved for 9pm to RDU. How long will it take when we land in BOS until we'll be able to go check in for the next flight? I was told by someone at Jet Blue that our luggage won't be in baggage claim when we arrive back into BOS it'll be "right there".....?

Has anyone that's flown into BOS and gone through the international terminal and customs....can you please tell me how this works? We already have the flights booked. Is there going to be a rush for us since this flight lands at 6pm and our next one is at 9pm?

Thanks for any insight!

Customs and immigration are different things and can take place in different places, or different countries depending upon your itinerary.

A few things to note:

-There are no non-stop flights between BOS and LCY (London City Airport) so what is your actual route?

-GTW? Do you mean London Gatwick airport? There are no airports with the code GTW.

When you fly back into the US you clear immigration first, then you collect your luggage, then you clear customs. All international flights arrive into terminal E at BOS. Jetblue fly from Terminal C so you can take the bus or you can walk around to C. What is your ticketing arrangement with Jetblue? Is all your travel on one ticket or separate? I ask because Jetblue don't have many ticketing interline agreements and I'm not sure why the Jetblue agent told you your luggage will be "right there" (whatever that means)

Thank you for responding and not making me feel totally stupid!

Okay the flight going BOS to LCY and then LGW back to BOS is one ticket (sorry....I was thinking it was GTW, but yes, it's London Gatwick). It's booked as British Airways but serviced by Aer Lingus.

Then the flight from BOS to RDU is a second/separate ticket.

The flight to/from London has a layover in DUB. I was told by Jet Blue that there was no way to route my luggage from LGW to RDU since they're separate tickets.

My luggage being "right there" is from when I talked to the Jet Blue rep he stated that when we got off the plane in BOS (returning home) our luggage would be "right there" instead of us having to go to baggage claim. He said when we come in through the international terminal things are done totally different.

When we get off the plane we'll go through immigrations and then through customs?

Do you think we'll have plenty of time between the 6pm international arrival to make our 9pm domestic flight?

Thank you for helping! My curiosity is what makes me really want to know what to expect before going!

Thank you for responding and not making me feel totally stupid!

Okay the flight going BOS to LCY and then LGW back to BOS is one ticket (sorry....I was thinking it was GTW, but yes, it's London Gatwick). It's booked as British Airways but serviced by Aer Lingus.

Then the flight from BOS to RDU is a second/separate ticket.

The flight to/from London has a layover in DUB. I was told by Jet Blue that there was no way to route my luggage from LGW to RDU since they're separate tickets.

So, to be clear, you actual routing is not BOS-LCY nor LGW-BOS. It's actually BOS-DUB-LCY and LGW-DUB-BOS.

Big difference.

There is USA pre-clearance at DUB, so your border formalities will occur there. You will have the equivalent of a domestic arrival at BOS. Due to the separate tickets, you will not have a "connection" at BOS. You will need to do a check-in and bag drop with jetBlue.

Info on pre-clearance at DUB is HERE. General connection info at DUB is HERE.

So, to be clear, you actual routing is not BOS-LCY nor LGW-BOS. It's actually BOS-DUB-LCY and LGW-DUB-BOS.

Big difference.

There is USA pre-clearance at DUB, so your border formalities will occur there. You will have the equivalent of a domestic arrival at BOS. Due to the separate tickets, you will not have a "connection" at BOS. You will need to do a check-in and bag drop with jetBlue.

Info on pre-clearance at DUB is HERE. General connection info at DUB is HERE.

Thank you so much for clarification and explanations on all of this!

My luggage being "right there" is from when I talked to the Jet Blue rep he stated that when we got off the plane in BOS (returning home) our luggage would be "right there" instead of us having to go to baggage claim. He said when we come in through the international terminal things are done totally different.

When we get off the plane we'll go through immigrations and then through customs?

Do you think we'll have plenty of time between the 6pm international arrival to make our 9pm domestic flight?

Thank you for helping! My curiosity is what makes me really want to know what to expect before going!

First of all, NORMALLY when you arrive in the US off an international flight, and are continuing on to another city in the US, and all travels are on one ticket, this is what happens: You clear immigration, then you collect your bags from a special "international arrivals" baggage carousel (not the usual one you go to if that city is your final destination). You take your bags and go through customs, then re-check your bags at a special bag drop area. You re-clear security and go on to the gate for your connecting flight.

However, you have 2 things happening here that make your situation different. 1. As Flyertalker said, Dublin is unique in that it's one of a handful of airports around the world where you actually pre-clear US immigration and customs in Dublin before you depart. That means when your flight arrives in Boston, all those formalities have already been taken care of and your flight lands as if it's a domestic flight. Sounds like the Jet Blue agent didn't know what he was talking about, i.e. didn't know you will pre-clear immigration and customs in Dublin. I think by "right there" he meant the "special" baggage carousel you encounter just past immigration for international arrivals. But as I explained, your flight won't be treated as an international flight due to pre-clearance in Dublin. Bags will either be transferred on to connecting flights or sent to the regular baggage carousel for those whose travels end in BOS.

So, if your flight to RDU was on the same ticket, your bags would be transferred on to RDU without you ever seeing them in BOS, but this is where the 2nd unique thing about your trip comes in to play- you have 2 different tickets. In DUB, your bags will be checked to your "final" destination, which for purposes of your first ticket, is BOS. Since your flight will be treated as a domestic flight, you'll go to the regular baggage claim carousel as if BOS was the end of your travels and you were leaving the airport. You'll collect your bag, then go to the Jet Blue check in desk and check your bag to RDU.

Hope that helps explain and makes things clearer!

Oh, and since you don't have to go through I & C at BOS, your should be fine wiht 3 hours. You'll have to go through security after you check in with Jet Blue, but 3 hours should be fine to get your bag, check in, and clear security.

First of all, NORMALLY when you arrive in the US off an international flight, and are continuing on to another city in the US, and all travels are on one ticket, this is what happens: You clear immigration, then you collect your bags from a special "international arrivals" baggage carousel (not the usual one you go to if that city is your final destination). You take your bags and go through customs, then re-check your bags at a special bag drop area. You re-clear security and go on to the gate for your connecting flight.

However, you have 2 things happening here that make your situation different. 1. As Flyertalker said, Dublin is unique in that it's one of a handful of airports around the world where you actually pre-clear US immigration and customs in Dublin before you depart. That means when your flight arrives in Boston, all those formalities have already been taken care of and your flight lands as if it's a domestic flight. Sounds like the Jet Blue agent didn't know what he was talking about, i.e. didn't know you will pre-clear immigration and customs in Dublin. I think by "right there" he meant the "special" baggage carousel you encounter just past immigration for international arrivals. But as I explained, your flight won't be treated as an international flight due to pre-clearance in Dublin. Bags will either be transferred on to connecting flights or sent to the regular baggage carousel for those whose travels end in BOS.

So, if your flight to RDU was on the same ticket, your bags would be transferred on to RDU without you ever seeing them in BOS, but this is where the 2nd unique thing about your trip comes in to play- you have 2 different tickets. In DUB, your bags will be checked to your "final" destination, which for purposes of your first ticket, is BOS. Since your flight will be treated as a domestic flight, you'll go to the regular baggage claim carousel as if BOS was the end of your travels and you were leaving the airport. You'll collect your bag, then go to the Jet Blue check in desk and check your bag to RDU.

Oh, and since you don't have to go through I & C at BOS, your should be fine wiht 3 hours. You'll have to go through security after you check in with Jet Blue, but 3 hours should be fine to get your bag, check in, and clear security.

PO said a layover in DUB,I wonder it will be the same as departing from DUB and have immigration clearance done in DUB. If you hold a GE card,3 hours layover in BOS shouldn't be any problem.

This spells everything out for me and gives me a play by play of what to expect. Exactly what I was hoping for! Thank you!!

PO said a layover in DUB,I wonder it will be the same as departing from DUB and have immigration clearance done in DUB. If you hold a GE card,3 hours layover in BOS shouldn't be any problem.

What is a GE card?

This spells everything out for me and gives me a play by play of what to expect. Exactly what I was hoping for! Thank you!!

What is a GE card?

GE is Global Entry, think TSA Pre check, but for those who fly internationally a lot. I would assume you do not have this as it is your first flight and you need to apply etc...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Since EVERYONE coming in from DUB will have cleared immigration and customs, it doesn't matter, in Boston, whether or not you have Global Entry. In Dublin, yes. Boston, no.

GE is Global Entry, think TSA Pre check, but for those who fly internationally a lot. I would assume you do not have this as it is your first flight and you need to apply etc...

No. No. No. Please don't try to conflate the two.

Global Entry is a Trusted Traveler program that is for immigration and customs procedures when entering the USA.

TSA Pre-Check is a Trusted Traveler program that is for security screening at all airports in the USA.

Different programs, perhaps confused because travelers who have Global Entry status are also enrolled in Pre-Check (a separate and distinct program). However, Pre-Check enrollees are NOT granted Global Entry status.

No. No. No. Please don't try to conflate the two.

Global Entry is a Trusted Traveler program that is for immigration and customs procedures when entering the USA.

TSA Pre-Check is a Trusted Traveler program that is for security screening at all airports in the USA.

Different programs, perhaps confused because travelers who have Global Entry status are also enrolled in Pre-Check (a separate and distinct program). However, Pre-Check enrollees are NOT granted Global Entry status.

Sorry! I knew that I was trying to make it simple.[emoji20] I am/was tying on my phone. I should know better then to write the short answer to a more in depth explanation.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

PO said a layover in DUB,I wonder it will be the same as departing from DUB and have immigration clearance done in DUB.

Oh geez, my bad. I got confused and was thinking he originated in DUB. If it's a connection there I'm not sure. Do you still pre-clear immigration and customs if it's a DUB connect rather than origination point? I *think* you do but I'm not 100% certain. Flyertalker? Globaliser? Several of you are far more knowledgeable than me.

OP, stand by for a confirmed answer on that

Oh geez, my bad. I got confused and was thinking he originated in DUB. If it's a connection there I'm not sure. Do you still pre-clear immigration and customs if it's a DUB connect rather than origination point? I *think* you do but I'm not 100% certain. Flyertalker? Globaliser? Several of you are far more knowledgeable than me.

The one time I flew out of DUB it was my originating airport, but I have had plenty of connections in Canada at airports with preclearance, and the fact of connecting made no difference. Everyone preclears, regardless of whether they're connecting or not.

I've flown CDG to Dublin for a connecting flight to BOS and did have U.S. customs in Dublin.

You'll be leaving BOS in the dark, and flying the same, though you'll have some light on the horizon. Most passengers attempt to sleep a few hours. Daylight on arrival? Probably before you approach the Irish coast.

If you are flying Aer Lingus on return, then you'll clear in Ireland and arrive at Terminal C in BOS, same as Jet Blue. No customs or immigration upon arrival in BOS - go out the door, down the stairs and claim your luggage. However, you may be able to have your luggage ticketed through to your final destination and not have to go to baggage claim [slow]. If that's the case, you can remain post security in Terminal C.

There is a secure walkway connecting Terminal E with Terminal C so you remain within the TSA secure zone.

I've flown through both Dublin and Shannon from other European cities on Aer Lingus, and have always cleared in Ireland with that particular airline, then onto BOS.

Darcy

YIf you are flying Aer Lingus on return, then you'll clear in Ireland and arrive at Terminal C in BOS, same as Jet Blue. No customs or immigration upon arrival in BOS - go out the door, down the stairs and claim your luggage. However, you may be able to have your luggage ticketed through to your final destination and not have to go to baggage claim [slow]. If that's the case, you can remain post security in Terminal C.

However, since the OP is combining two tickets, it is highly unlikely that the bags will be interlined at BOS. They will have to retrieve them at baggage claim (outside security), then check-in with B6, then be rescreened by TSA to re-enter the gate area. The good news is that they will stay within the same terminal at BOS.

Leaving BOS at 9pm (lands in DUB at 8:40 am) - will the flight be mostly "night" travel or what time will we start having daylight?

Thanks!

Its a very short flight, less than 6 hours so be ready to try to get some sleep once you are on the plane. You will have dark skies for a few hours but 2-3 hours in you'll start to see the sun rise and it will be daylight sooner than later. Keep the shades down before you go to sleep if you at a window.

Its a very short flight, less than 6 hours so be ready to try to get some sleep once you are on the plane. You will have dark skies for a few hours but 2-3 hours in you'll start to see the sun rise and it will be daylight sooner than later. Keep the shades down before you go to sleep if you at a window.

Thank you! It's going to be s short/fast night for us!

In fact, the flight to DUB is only 288 miles further than the distance from BOS to San Francisco.

mapui?P=dub-bos-sfo&R=%0D%0A&MS=wls&DU=mi

The link came through on my email notification but not here on the boards.

Really cool website! I bookmarked it. Thanks!