Question omg Flying

nelsonbrandyl

We have never had to fly to a port for a cruise. We are thinking of leaving out of Florida, we live in Texas. If you fly do most people arrive the day before? And what about your flight home, same day you arrive in port or the next day? What's best do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have never had to fly to a port for a cruise. We are thinking of leaving out of Florida, we live in Texas. If you fly do most people arrive the day before? And what about your flight home, same day you arrive in port or the next day? What's best do you think?

First and foremost, WELCOME too cruise critic !!

Now about your question ...

Depends.. There are always 2 opinions. 1) ALWAYS the day before, But, that depends on the time of year and weather. You certainly don't want too risk flight delays due to that. 2) Day of cruise, have a plan B: if you decide day of, then IF something happens flight wise, being from the Lone star state you can possibly drive to your cruise port. We live in ATL and usually drive to either Port Canaveral or Miami (though Miami IS along drive for us, usually12 hours) and if you're driving west of Dallas, it's a bit of a stretch) to trythat day of. So both are feasible. It depends on your factors. Most here, will say day before IF you're flying although you'll get a few who say, 'I've always flown in day of, and NEVER had a bit of problem'. :) Sooo..It's entirely up too you. Whichever you decide, have a FANTASTIC cruise!

Mac

Thank you. Leaving from Galveston we always stay in hotel the night before. So if we fly probably the day before. Drive is 19 hours. My main thing is flying home. Is it easier to stay another night once back or just got to airport and catch late flight?

Thank you. Leaving from Galveston we always stay in hotel the night before. So if we fly probably the day before. Drive is 19 hours. My main thing is flying home. Is it easier to stay another night once back or just got to airport and catch late flight?

We always fly in at least one day early & fly back the same day we get off the ship. Depending on which Florida port you are sailing out of you don't necessarily need a late flight. If you're sailing from Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale) you can easily make a late morning flight, or anything later. Port Canaveral is different as it's quite a bit further to the Orlando airport. I wouldn't book a flight before 1:00 PM out of Orlando. Miami or Tampa I would say anything after noon would be OK. Or course many people do like to extend their vacation a day or two after the cruise, it's entirely what you want to do & feel comfortable with.

What airport is near Port Everglades (Ft Lauderdale) that's what I am looking at

FLL (Ft. Lauderdale) is practically across the street from the cruise port. 5-10 minute cab ride at most.

Have you had problems with timing and all flying home?

As you know cruise ships are rarely late. Typically you want to give some wiggle room, so for example if you can get off the ship at 9:00am and the airport is 30mins away. We would recommend a 12:00pm flight.

It depends on what port in Florida you pick, then it depends on what airport as most of the ports have more than one airport to chose from. Sometimes you might be leaving from Miami on the cruise but flights to Ft. Lauderdale are much cheaper. So pick your cruise then determine the flight issues.

Always fly in one-day before. Too much risk involved in a delay the day of the cruise. Just one bad storm in Atlanta can delay your flight from Dallas even though the weather is perfect in Miami and Dallas etc..

We ALWAYS fly in at least one day early. ALWAYS.

We are in snow country, so in the winter, it's 2 days. IF there are weather delays, things could take a while to clear. For winter AND right at holiday time (e.g., Christmas weekend), we do 3 nights, and plan things so we make a mini-vacation first.

Our thinking is that if there happens to be a major storm with the holiday traffic, there will be so many passengers backed up... Travel insurance (see that sub-forum, too) will pay for any extra costs and/or fly you to the first (or second :eek:) port, but we prefer to be ON the cruise from the start :)

For return, keep in mind that IF you miss the flight, you are just late returning home. You didn't have a cruise ship leave without you...

But yes, get a later flight. Don't "cut it close". "Life happens"

Depending on the day of the week and time of year the south FL airports (MIA and FLL) can get pretty busy late morning early afternoon.. Depending on how many cruise ships all dump folks into them and don't forget all the folks who did land vacations in the caribbean who took early flights and now have to reclear security this can add to the length of lines. Not really anything to stress over but something to keep in mind when booking flights. You (OP) didn't say what airport you are flying from in TX or what airline you are going to be using. (for ex. If on AA then you will probably have many more choices form DFW in/out of MIA.)

For Port Everglades, along with MIA and FLL, check PBI (West Palm Beach International).

I'm the nervous type, like lots of slop in the schedule for my own peace of mind. I go the day before. Coming back, I tend to book flights later in the day but the same day. Overnighting would be more than I'd feel is necessary. Going for early disembarkation and rushing to the airport would make me a wreck. Other folks are sanguine.

Different strokes. I do what's best for me. A road warrior type would think I waste a lot of time and thus not "best". (Give me a two hour connection instead of a one hour connection any time.)

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We always arrive at least one day in advance and in our case usually three or four days but that is to enjoy the area we are leaving from.

If you are flying the day before I would leave in the morning. This way if something goes wrong you still have some options to get there. Things can go wrong from cancelled flights to significantly delayed flights and even luggage that goes astray. Also flying can be tiring so by arriving a day or more before it gives you sometime to relax before you board the ship on embarkation day.

Be careful on your return flight. Many times someone after booking the air will post on the boards saying can I make this flight and it would have been better if they asked before booking. Glad you started to ask about that.

Since you are sailing out of Port Everglades ideally I would fly to Fort Lauderdale. In terms of hotel you'll have lots of options of hotels near the Port. For your return flight if you are flying out of Fort Lauderdale I would get a flight that departs Noon. I used to say 11:00 AM or later but assuming you don't have TSA Approv and with the changes on which electronics have to be taken out of carry ons this would just give you more time at the airport if there is an issue with longer then anticipated security lines.

If you need help with hotels once you make your flight arrangements please come over to the Florida Departures Board and several of us can give you advice where to stay.

This link will take you to the Florida Departures Board which is part of the ports of call section of Cruise Critic.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=495

Keith

A night in a hotel is more than worth it to me. Was way too stressed flying in the day of, last year.

Early flights home are great. If the ship returns on time. Our flights were rebooked automatically, at no cost, when the ship returned late last fall, because we'd booked them through the cruiseline. That was with Royal Caribbean; I've no experience with how the other lines handle the situation.

We fly in the day before our cruise because we cruise in winter and during hurricane season from the Mid Atlantic. We do many cruises out of Baltimore and we still arrive a day before. If there is an accident on I-83 our arrival can be delayed. Several years ago we flew in the day of our cruise due to limited vacation and we just made it to the ship with 10 minutes to spare. Never again for us. Way too stressful.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

We always arrive at least one day in advance and in our case usually three or four days but that is to enjoy the area we are leaving from.

If you are flying the day before I would leave in the morning. This way if something goes wrong you still have some options to get there. Things can go wrong from cancelled flights to significantly delayed flights and even luggage that goes astray. Also flying can be tiring so by arriving a day or more before it gives you sometime to relax before you board the ship on embarkation day.

Be careful on your return flight. Many times someone after booking the air will post on the boards saying can I make this flight and it would have been better if they asked before booking. Glad you started to ask about that.

Since you are sailing out of Port Everglades ideally I would fly to Fort Lauderdale. In terms of hotel you'll have lots of options of hotels near the Port. For your return flight if you are flying out of Fort Lauderdale I would get a flight that departs Noon. I used to say 11:00 AM or later but assuming you don't have TSA Approv and with the changes on which electronics have to be taken out of carry ons this would just give you more time at the airport if there is an issue with longer then anticipated security lines.

If you need help with hotels once you make your flight arrangements please come over to the Florida Departures Board and several of us can give you advice where to stay.

This link will take you to the Florida Departures Board which is part of the ports of call section of Cruise Critic.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=495

Keith

Awesome thank you. I think right now we're thinking of driving. It's a 19 1/2 hour drive. We're thinking either drive 16 1/2 stay in hotel then drive 3 more. Or drive all 19 stay at hotel and get up to go. It's actually going to be cheaper. We have a brand new car so oil changes etc and all are taken care of for awhile and we can kinda sight see. Looking at the estimated amount of gas there and back, plus the parking. We're looking at around $250 possibly. So unless we find a flight for 2 people around that amount we will probably drive, also we don't have to worry about our luggage and all that. Thanks for advice though. I will check that board out because we will be going ahead and booking a hotel soon.

Awesome thank you. I think right now we're thinking of driving. It's a 19 1/2 hour drive. We're thinking either drive 16 1/2 stay in hotel then drive 3 more. Or drive all 19 stay at hotel and get up to go. It's actually going to be cheaper. We have a brand new car so oil changes etc and all are taken care of for awhile and we can kinda sight see. Looking at the estimated amount of gas there and back, plus the parking. We're looking at around $250 possibly. So unless we find a flight for 2 people around that amount we will probably drive, also we don't have to worry about our luggage and all that. Thanks for advice though. I will check that board out because we will be going ahead and booking a hotel soon.

I know there are people who enjoy driving but I just cannot imagine trying to drive 19 hours in one day, even switching drivers every couple of hours. And it's not just about the hard costs of gas, tolls, parking etc. There are soft costs to think about....You have to consider what your time is worth, your mental well being, and how you'll feel upon arrival and so forth. Everyone is different, but I would tend to be more flexible in terms of flight costs, and not limit my deal breaker price to exactly what gas, parking etc. would be. For many people, a couple hundred dollars over and above that $250 would be well worth it to avoid driving 19 hours there and another 19 back. YMMV

I know you said you aren't paying for oil changes for a while, but you still need to consider that a 19 hour trip (really 38, when you consider the return trip) will put a lot of mileage on your car that will contribute to its depreciation.

I know there are people who enjoy driving but I just cannot imagine trying to drive 19 hours in one day, even switching drivers every couple of hours. And it's not just about the hard costs of gas, tolls, parking etc. There are soft costs to think about....You have to consider what your time is worth, your mental well being, and how you'll feel upon arrival and so forth. Everyone is different, but I would tend to be more flexible in terms of flight costs, and not limit my deal breaker price to exactly what gas, parking etc. would be. For many people, a couple hundred dollars over and above that $250 would be well worth it to avoid driving 19 hours there and another 19 back. YMMV

I know you said you aren't paying for oil changes for a while, but you still need to consider that a 19 hour trip (really 38, when you consider the return trip) will put a lot of mileage on your car that will contribute to its depreciation.

I understand that. My car is brand new. We just bought it in Jan. Also we only use it maybe a couple times a week. Or if we make a trip. It only has like 5000 miles on it. But I have been on driving trips all my life cause as kids we took trips all over the US. I also drove this drive (a little less) because I lived in Lake Bunea Vista when I worked at Walt Disney World. I think we would have so much fun driving though.

I understand that. My car is brand new. We just bought it in Jan. Also we only use it maybe a couple times a week. Or if we make a trip. It only has like 5000 miles on it. But I have been on driving trips all my life cause as kids we took trips all over the US. I also drove this drive (a little less) because I lived in Lake Bunea Vista when I worked at Walt Disney World. I think we would have so much fun driving though.

You're contemplating a 19 hour drive, and I'm here trying to decide if driving 2 hours, to fly from a cheaper airport, is with the hassle. Lol

You're contemplating a 19 hour drive, and I'm here trying to decide if driving 2 hours, to fly from a cheaper airport, is with the hassle. Lol

Lol we have decided to drive it almost 100% but that could change between now and then. We shall see

I know, right?? My parents currently live a little over 5 hours from me, and I hate the drive. In a year or so they'll be moving and will be 7 hours away and I'm thinking "nope, I may well have to fly," even though the door to door trip wouldn't save me any time due to the necessary flight connection. But for me, it beats 7 hours behind the wheel.