Quick dinner menu question - Salad choice

Hi,

I recently cruised aboard the Independence of the Seas from Southampton, England to northern Spain and France (Aug. 8 to 20, 2017). I was surprised that the dinner menu in the main dining room each night offered only one salad - a Caesar salad. On past cruises, the dinner menu usually offered a different salad each night. Do most Royal Caribbean ships still offer different salad choices at dinner or do they only offer a Caesar salad?

Thanks,

Chuck

As Bob posted with the current menus, we have always seen a daily salad or two under starters. I believe the Cesar salad is on the everyday offering menu or would at least be available on request. What you experienced on Indy is not normal.

As Bob posted with the current menus, we have always seen a daily salad or two under starters. I believe the Cesar salad is on the everyday offering menu or would at least be available on request. What you experienced on Indy is not normal.

Hi,

I thought the lack of a different daily salad on the dinner menu seemed unusual. I like trying different salads and don't really want to have a Caesar salad every night. Because I currently have three Royal Caribbean cruises booked, I was hoping that all ships had not switched to the practice of only offering a Caesar salad.

Chuck

These are the menus used on most RC ships: http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/download-press-kit/7/

Hi Bob,

Thanks for posting the link, but this was not the menu on the Independence of the Seas last week. Unfortunately, we were limited to a Caesar salad each night. I wonder if the menus are different when the ships sail from Southampton. For example, iced tea was not available in the Windjammer for lunch. The drink choices were water, lemonade or flavored water (such as strawberry / kiwi). I missed having iced tea at lunch.

By the way, I just noticed that I made a mistake in the dates listed above. I was on an eight-day cruise from Aug. 12 - 20, 2017.

Chuck

Edited by seacruise9

Hi Bob,

Thanks for posting the link, but this was not the menu on the Independence of the Seas last week. Unfortunately, we were limited to a Caesar salad each night. I wonder if the menus are different when the ships sail from Southampton. For example, iced tea was not available in the Windjammer for lunch. The drink choices were water, lemonade or flavored water (such as strawberry / kiwi). I missed having iced tea at lunch.

By the way, I just noticed that I made a mistake in the dates listed above. I was on an eight-day cruise from Aug. 12 - 20, 2017.

Chuck

We are on Indy in 10 days. The menus posted by a Bob are the main fleet menus that have remained the same for some years. Oasis had a new menu mid 2016 that was supposed to roll out but I haven't seen reports of that occurring yet. Maybe it has on Indy?

Here are the Oasis new menus, are they similar to what you experienced on Indy?

http://s1160.photobucket.com/user/Eric_Markson/library/Oasis%20of%20the%20Seas%20new%20menu?sort=9&page=1

Not sure that link is working.

The original menus had arty illustrations, the new menus had no illustrations or logos and were presented in landscape. Were there like the Indy menus? Apart from the limited salad options, we really liked the new Oasis menus and hope they are on Indy in a couple of weeks.

Edited by kevinyork

Hi,

Unfortunately, the dinner menus differed from what you have posted. They were not landscape and there was no choice of salad. The menus that you posted are much better than the menus that I experienced during my cruise.

Chuck

I was on Indy a few weeks before. Pretty close to what Kevinyork posted. They subbed a few things for food Brits favor like Steak and Kidney Pie. Also lots of Indian food which is also very popular in Britain. We like Caesar Salad, but my wife asked for something else Greek I think, and they made it for her. Reasonable requests are rarely denied. Most impressive MDR dining and service I have enjoyed in a while. I think the waiters are on an incentive for good reviews.

I was on Indy a few weeks before. Pretty close to what Kevinyork posted. They subbed a few things for food Brits favor like Steak and Kidney Pie. Also lots of Indian food which is also very popular in Britain. We like Caesar Salad, but my wife asked for something else Greek I think, and they made it for her. Reasonable requests are rarely denied. Most impressive MDR dining and service I have enjoyed in a while. I think the waiters are on an incentive for good reviews.

Hi,

You were fortunate. My requests for a salad other than a Caesar salad were flatly denied. As a result, I didn't have a salad at dinner. Also, I ordered iced tea the first night of the cruise and my assistant waiter tried to charge me for it. After I explained to him that there should not be a charge for iced tea, he said that I was wrong. I had to talk to a head waiter in order to get iced tea. I cruised aboard this ship in 2014 in the Caribbean and didn't experience any of these problems.

Chuck

Hi Bob,

Chuck

Re iced tea: Our experience has been that iced tea would never be served on a British ship, so I'm not surprised it wasn't readily available on a British sailing, even though an American ship. Just one of those American things that other people find puzzling.

Re iced tea: Our experience has been that iced tea would never be served on a British ship, so I'm not surprised it wasn't readily available on a British sailing, even though an American ship. Just one of those American things that other people find puzzling.

Hi,

In my experience, iced tea is always available on Cunard ships (which cater to the British market).

Chuck

In my experience and prehaps something a lot of cruisers dont know is that you can order a iceburg wedge salad usually comes with a slice of tomato and maybe a slice of cucumber. The assistant waiter will bring a 3 bowled silver server with 3 choices of dressing. I think they still do that correct me if Im wrong...I am very easy to please and usually find more then one app on the menu to order so dont have a need to order special but been on a few cruises with my brother in law who is pickey and he used to get this wedge.

Hi,

You were fortunate. My requests for a salad other than a Caesar salad were flatly denied. As a result, I didn't have a salad at dinner. Also, I ordered iced tea the first night of the cruise and my assistant waiter tried to charge me for it. After I explained to him that there should not be a charge for iced tea, he said that I was wrong. I had to talk to a head waiter in order to get iced tea. I cruised aboard this ship in 2014 in the Caribbean and didn't experience any of these problems.

Chuck

There is an alcoholic drink called Long Island Iced Tea, don't know what's in it, maybe they thought that was what you were ordering! Dh has taught lots of waiters how to make iced coffee!

Iced tea was a challenge for my wife for the week we spent in the UK before the cruise, she is addicted to the stuff. Mostly we ordered hot tea and a glass of ice. Ice in general is not really a European thing, but if you are persistent they will accommodate. Once we got on Indy she could get it all over even for breakfast. Our waiter had two glasses at our table waiting for her every night. I guess we lucked out on the waiter lottery.