Mahogany Bay

My family and I will be on the Carnival Paradise headed to Cozumel and Mahogany Bay in 2018. Trying to decide on excursions vs. resort day passes vs. beach on our own, etc. My kids (teens) want to "swim with the dolphins." Any recommendations on which stop to do this and which to enjoy the beach?? Any recommendations are greatly appreciated! :confused:

Cozumel is very easy for taking a taxi to one of the beach clubs. Mahogany Bay has a beach there at the port, although it was pretty crowded when we were there. The only dolphin swim I've done was in Grand Cayman. I would try searching the Ports of Call boards and also check the reviews for the excursions on Carnival's site as well. Just see which swim gets the better reviews. For sure do the swim and not just the encounter.

I too second Chankanaab for the dolphin swim. There is a way to book privately and save a ton of money. As for MB in Roatan, please, please please book an island tour with either Victor Bodden or Island Marketing; you can see monkeys, birds and sloths, the iguana sanctuary (you can feed them and if you pet them, they lean into you like dogs!), west bay beach, go zip lining etc. They will both customize a tour for you. This is our favorite port because of the gorgeous island and all the wide variety of activities. It is worth every penny to get out and explore here.

I absolutely have a preference for you!! Do the SNORKEL with the Dolphins and do it in Roatan!!!!!!!!! Do NOT do the basic one, do the upgraded Snorkel excursion and trust me you will not be disappointed!! It was a day to remember. With the upgraded one you get to snorkel and swim with the dolphins in the enclosure for an extra 30 minutes. I had dolphins all around, under, and over me. We played and swam and it was amazing!!! If I can figure out how to attach some of the pics on here from my FB I will. The excursion is done up at Anthonys Key Resort. Google it and see how beautiful!!

I absolutely have a preference for you!! Do the SNORKEL with the Dolphins and do it in Roatan!!!!!!!!! Do NOT do the basic one, do the upgraded Snorkel excursion and trust me you will not be disappointed!! It was a day to remember. With the upgraded one you get to snorkel and swim with the dolphins in the enclosure for an extra 30 minutes. I had dolphins all around, under, and over me. We played and swam and it was amazing!!! If I can figure out how to attach some of the pics on here from my FB I will. The excursion is done up at Anthonys Key Resort. Google it and see how beautiful!!

I did not know Anthony's did a dolphin snorkel. We have gone diving with them a couple of times & really enjoyed it. I'll have to keep the dolphin snorkel in mind for future trips.

You might want to consider taking advantage of the beach right there at Mahogany Bay and doing the dolphin swim or whatever in Cozumel. ;)

Agree. We also enjoyed doing chair lift at Mahogany Bay in going to the beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In Roatan a few years ago, we booked in advance a private cabana on the beach right at the port. We had a sectioned of chunk of beach just for us, a little cabin with AC and a few chairs, couch which we used to change, a hammock, and some out door seating. TONS of room for 5 of us, wait staff visited us frequently, we had some great drinks and food (not included). I think it was around $200 for the day, and was so well worth it.

I'd choose the beaches on the other side of Roatan such as Tabyana or one of its neighbors. It will beat any beach in Coz.

You'll find some of the best snorkeling in the world right in front of you.

I can't recommend any dolphin swims at those locations -- we did one in Grand Cayman and enjoyed it but probably would not do it again.