Is RCCL Port Canaveral Highlights excursion worth it?

babchia

We are going on the Anthem 11/2017 out of Bayonne, NJ, and do not know this port. Considering the port highlights excursion, but the description isn't that clear. We want to see the Kennedy Space Center. What's unusual is our ship docks at noon and leaves at 9:30 pm.

It mentions "• Guests wanting to extend their experience at the Exploration Tower or Port Canaveral Cove are welcome to utilize shuttles.• Shuttles returning to the ship are available approximately every 30 minutes."

Is this basically a shuttle to KSC and admission ticket? Can we do cheaper as we are over 55 and get a discounted ticket? Should we consider Uber or Lyft or a taxi? What should we do after as we leave late?

(posted this in the Florida departures board also, just in case)

Thanks in advance for any info.

We are going on the Anthem 11/2017 out of Bayonne, NJ, and do not know this port. Considering the port highlights excursion, but the description isn't that clear. We want to see the Kennedy Space Center. What's unusual is our ship docks at noon and leaves at 9:30 pm.

It mentions "• Guests wanting to extend their experience at the Exploration Tower or Port Canaveral Cove are welcome to utilize shuttles.• Shuttles returning to the ship are available approximately every 30 minutes."

Is this basically a shuttle to KSC and admission ticket? Can we do cheaper as we are over 55 and get a discounted ticket? Should we consider Uber or Lyft or a taxi? What should we do after as we leave late?

(posted this in the Florida departures board also, just in case)

Thanks in advance for any info.

Exploration Tower and the Cove are part of Port Canaveral and nothing to do with KSC, the way I read it is if you get back from KSC and want to explore the port, there are shuttles available, being local have never done this on a ships tour

Maybe you will get lucky and see a rocket launch. I have been tracking the schedule as we will be there first of October and nothing scheduled. But they are showing one TBA in November.

Majesty passengers last week got to see two. And the first one landed.

289267bf56ad0e441711dba12bcee9e7.jpg

a7e1a174647986aba5db7bf7695dff2e.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Any launches next week?

One on Friday, but it's tiny.

Possible SpaceX on September 7. Launching the X37 spaceplane. It's a mini shuttle. No crew

Two at the end of September

As always, subject to change and weather. Who's bright idea was it to launch highly flammable rockets from an area with the worst lightning in the country.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

One on Friday, but it's tiny.

Possible SpaceX on September 7. Launching the X37 spaceplane. It's a mini shuttle. No crew

Two at the end of September

As always, subject to change and weather. Who's bright idea was it to launch highly flammable rockets from an area with the worst lightning in the country.

Has to be on the East Coast to take advantage of earth's rotational velociy and also launch into an unpopulated area. Also helps to be as close to the equator as possible.

In regards to uber, I've used it in Port Canaveral a few times. There's usually a car within a minute or two. I like it better than waiting on shuttles, especially to get back and forth from off-site parking. I'm not sure how long a ride it is between the port and KSC, so you'd probably want to do a fare estimate first.

Maybe you will get lucky and see a rocket launch. I have been tracking the schedule as we will be there first of October and nothing scheduled. But they are showing one TBA in November.

There are a number of things still pending in the "Q4" or "late 2017" bins https://spaceflightnow.com/launch-schedule/

With SpaceX, ULA, and the Air Force flinging things into the heavens, the schedule is usually pretty busy and shifts around a fair bit as payloads become available. So keep an eye on it and you might get lucky.

OK, thanks all. Now, Jim's saying he'd do the tour guide one. Both he and I are concerned about the amount of walking involved. Is there a lot? I am a slooowwww walker, with frequent stops, so I am considering not doing the tour, but checking out things near the ship. Ideas?

OK, thanks all. Now, Jim's saying he'd do the tour guide one. Both he and I are concerned about the amount of walking involved. Is there a lot? I am a slooowwww walker, with frequent stops, so I am considering not doing the tour, but checking out things near the ship. Ideas?

If you are referring to the KSC tour, yes there is a lot of walking. Depending upon your speed and stamina you might not be able to keep up with the group.