Leaving one child at home and not the others?!

obsessedsc

We have a 4.5 year old and a 3 year old and a (will be 6.5 month old) and thinking of going on the Dream this summer. We have vacationed every year with our children. Our oldest cruised the first time at 8 months and our second did at 14 months. I remember it well and we had a great trip but I'm wondering if it would be best to leave the baby home with grandparents vs bringing him and using the nursery. Any advice?! By the way it would be really hard for us to leave him! So looking for responses from cruisers who have left their youngest behind and glad they did or from those of you who brought 3 or more and we're glad you did?!

The parts that seem hard to me is the whole 2 of us and 3 of them and then the pool situation. The other 2 would want to swim but would need our close attention.

Bringing an infant means increased costs. You'll end up with some cute pictures. The baby will obviously not remember it. Be thankful that you have the kind of grandparents who will enjoy a great time with their newest grandchild. Not taking the infant means that you'll have more time to be more attentive to the older kids who will remember a super family vacation.

I'd use it to have great quality time with the older two. But that's just my opinion.....

I only have two, but I agree with moki's mommy---- if you have gparents who will watch the baby, take the older two only! They will have a really splendid time (I took an 8 month old on a Disney cruise---- she certainly does not remember!) and you will be less for the wear not having to take care of baby too.

Speaking as a grandma,

A. I'd love the quality time with my newest..

B. the older ones will love the quality time with you. After all, they've just spent the last few months with most of the attention being directed to the newest arrival. (which is as it should, but that's an adjustment for the older ones too....)

and C. you get quality vacation time to reconnect with them,

you've already pointed out that pool time will be easier with a 2 on 2 situation...

fwiw, I did get a week of Me n my newest Grandie time last July, when my Daughter and her Hubz went to PR to visit friends. She was about the same age, and it was wonderful bonding time for us... Hard for Mommy n Daddy as she is currently their only one, but we all survived.

just my 2 cents...

Enjoy your trip, whatever you decide

How do the grandparents feel? Many times, they enjoy the "bonding time" with their grandchild....

And, with grandparents, you don't have to worry about your child...grandparents love grandkids MUCH more they they ever loved you! Lol...just kidding ,but it's not far from the truth! You KNOW the child will be well-cared for!

Edited by cb at sea

Years ago, we left our 10-month old home with his grandparents, while my wife and I went on a 7-day cruise together. Boy are we glad we did it. I will say, when we first got home he was mad at us for about 5 minutes, but when he understood we were back, he got over it quickly.

That was 14 years ago. He is 15 now, has a thirteen year old brother, and he doesn't remember it at all, but my wife and I had a great time, and his grandparents had the best week out of all of us. They loved the time with their young grandson. They still remember it well.

So go, and don't feel guilty. It is really a win-win-win. And you'll have plenty of time with him in the years to come and the vacations to come.

Okay, I'll be the devils advocate here.

Fast forward 10 years from now, sitting around in the family room looking at home videos or pictures of your past vacations when this one comes up. How do you tell the youngest "The 4 of us went on a fantastic cruise and had a great time but we left you home".

I'm glad I'm not in your shoes and I'm not saying you should or shouldn't - tough decision. Listen to what others have to say, not me. I've never been in that situation (and at my age, never will be in).

My kids give us the opposite issue. Mom and Dad! You took us to XYZ place when we were small and couldn't really enjoy it. Why can't we go back there now?

No matter what you do, kids can give you grief when looking at the pictures. Just as long as you have pictures of the youngest and his time with his grandparents, I bet he'll be satisfied, as much as any of them at least.

Okay, I'll be the devils advocate here.

Fast forward 10 years from now, sitting around in the family room looking at home videos or pictures of your past vacations when this one comes up. How do you tell the youngest "The 4 of us went on a fantastic cruise and had a great time but we left you home".

I'm glad I'm not in your shoes and I'm not saying you should or shouldn't - tough decision. Listen to what others have to say, not me. I've never been in that situation (and at my age, never will be in).

It's simple. "You were a baby and too little to go (or too little to enjoy it) so you had a fun week with grandma and grandpa." And most likely there will be another cruise in this family's future with pictures of an older little brother who got to cruise too.

It's simple. "You were a baby and too little to go (or too little to enjoy it) so you had a fun week with grandma and grandpa." And most likely there will be another cruise in this family's future with pictures of an older little brother who got to cruise too.

That's easy for adults to understand' date=' but for an adolescent, I'm not so sure. We cannot say for sure that they'll be alright with it and we do not know how they'll feel. You might [b']think[/b] you do, but you don't know.

I'm not saying what's right and what's wrong and whether or not to take the youngest one, I'm just trying to look at all issues.

Yeah....my sister WON a trip to WDW for 4 people when I was 17. My parents planned it at a time when I couldn't go so that they could take the rest of the family without having to pay for anyone.

While I did tell them it was unfair, I really didn't mind. They were tacking on a trip to see my aunt who lived in Florida and I knew that would not be something I wanted to endure again.

I wasn't happy about not getting to go to WDW, but family vacations were not exactly my style at that point.

• 1 month later...
Speaking as a grandma,

A. I'd love the quality time with my newest..

B. the older ones will love the quality time with you. After all, they've just spent the last few months with most of the attention being directed to the newest arrival. (which is as it should, but that's an adjustment for the older ones too....)

and C. you get quality vacation time to reconnect with them,

Also speaking as a grandmother, I was going to weigh in with the same words. :)

It's lovely for Grandma and Grandpa to have some two-on-one time with the babe, who likely is used to sharing them with siblings. And great for you to devote your attention to the siblings. Everybody wins!

One thought, are you nursing? Because if you are, you have to not only pump enough for the week, and pump while on vacation (likely dumping), you'll have to make sure grandparents know how to feed, and there's a risk baby won't go back to breast. No vacation is worth that for me. Not an issue is ff.

Second, are the grandparents up for it? Can they adjust to waking motn? Unless yours sttn. Can they keep up with a crawler?

Now, I do know the there is larger increase in cost for five vrs 3/4 because of the room (at least on the wonder). We're paying 6k for the five of us.

I'd never leave my babies behind- a few hours with daddy is my max. I'll send Dh to the pool with the older one and enjoy my room with my littles. Or you could baby wear if watching.

It's really up to you! If you trust the gp's and want a break from the baby/save the money, then go for it.

• 2 weeks later...