getting married on disney dream !!! .... would love advice and tips please !!

squimbyj

getting married on Disney dream in july ... need tips on what to expect and perks plus marriage license in port Canaveral before sailing ... so excited for my bride and myself !!:)

Have you set up the wedding through DCL? They should be able to help you with any questions as to the actual ceremony.

But, this is from the Brevard County website:

Marriage Licenses - General Information

In order to obtain a marriage license in Brevard County, the applicants must apply together, in person, at the Brevard County Clerk of Courts office. The marriage license is only valid within the State of Florida. Both parties must present their state-issued picture ID, military ID, or passport, and know their social security number.

Lots of other good info there:

http://brevardclerk.us/how-to-apply-for-a-marriage-license

thanks for the info ! .... yes we have already booked cruise and booked wedding , waiting on our Disney wedding planner to call us... just kind of looking for advice from people who have experienced a wedding on the dream recently ...

You probably know that no one can be legally married on the ship. You will be married in a room in the terminal at Port Canaveral. You can then have a ceremony, party, or whatever you want on the ship or on Castaway Cay.

The wedding planner will basically take care of everything. If you do exactly what she says, you'll be good to go and everything will be perfect.

It was definitely the case in 2013. It is obviously possible that it has changed since that time. At that time, you could provide your own officiant for the legal portion or DCL would supply an appropriate individual.

The ceremony on the ship is treated in all ways as a wedding, but it had no legal standing.

It was definitely the case in 2013. It is obviously possible that it has changed since that time. At that time' date=' you could provide your own officiant for the legal portion or DCL would supply an appropriate individual.

The ceremony on the ship is treated in all ways as a wedding, but it had no legal standing.[/quote']

It's still the same. You have the legal ceremony before departure, and a ceremonial event onboard, or on CC.

I had no idea that was true. I guess it makes sense as you wouldn't be in any countries jurisdiction. Learn something new every day!

It's technically Bahamian territory. It would depend on whether Bahamian law allowed it and whether laws of the 50 states recognized the Bahamian marriage.

You can easily arrange a non-Disney wedding in Nassau. The issue isn't Bahamian laws. The issue is that DCL has opted to not get involved with them in any way. They've taken the approach that the legal wedding will occur in port before departure--a very nice, civil ceremony that will be recognized anywhere in the world. Then they will throw the party of your dreams for you on the ship, including what is legally a vow renewal (even if the original was an hour or a day before).

Note to the couple--if you go to "Match Your Mate" (usually on the first night of the cruise), you will be the couple married the shortest time, which will make you one of the contestants if you choose to play. Win or lose, the prizes are nice.

You probably know that no one can be legally married on the ship. You will be married in a room in the terminal at Port Canaveral. You can then have a ceremony' date=' party, or whatever you want on the ship or on Castaway Cay.

The wedding planner will basically take care of everything. If you do exactly what she says, you'll be good to go and everything will be perfect.[/quote']

I was married on a ship in Port Canaveral- and it is very legal and binding. Most ship captains do not have the authority to marry at sea, but if you bring an officiant on while docked in a U.S. port you should not have a problem.

I was curious about this topic and found this information:

"If you want to get married at sea by the captain, you're limited to only a handful of cruise lines, due to legal limitations that are based on ships' countries of registry. On the "can officiate" list are Celebrity Cruises and Azamara Club Cruises, whose ships are now registered in Malta. Princess Cruises' and Cunard's captains are also able to marry couples at sea; those lines have registered their ships in Bermuda."

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1541

I was married on a ship in Port Canaveral- and it is very legal and binding. Most ship captains do not have the authority to marry at sea, but if you bring an officiant on while docked in a U.S. port you should not have a problem.

Yes, some lines will allow you to marry on the ship while docked. As I noted, DCL holds the legal ceremony in a room in the terminal. Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that NO ship or cruise line would allow it, only that DCL does not.

Yes' date=' some lines will allow you to marry on the ship while docked. As I noted, DCL holds the legal ceremony in a room in the terminal. Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that NO ship or cruise line would allow it, only that DCL does not.[/quote']

Sadly there have been a few days that I wished I had only been pretend married:eek:

thanks everyone !! .... yes we are fully aware that the real marriage will be done after getting on ship , we will board first before anyone else then meet with coordinator and get married in a separate room ... then the next day at port in Nassau we will have the ceremony .... really excited !!

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if you are traveling (by plane or otherwise) don't let the wedding dress or any other wedding clothes out of sight. Bring the dress as a your carry on baggage for flight if you have to. Sure it's a pain to schlep it around but far less of a pain than last minute gown searching because it got lost!!

Good luck!!

we will be driving down from N.C. , we are going down a couple of days earlier to get marriage license . dress and tux will be on carry on for sure ... we will board ship first and meet with coordinator and she will take dress and tux then and we will go to private room on the ship and get married by a magistrate the wedding ceremony will be on ship the day we are in port at Nassau. they will press dress and tux for us before ceremony. :)