Penny Pincher

garyc20

OK... I know I am a penny pincher. Going on DCL to Alaska in August. 4 Adults and two children. Air to Vancouver is $800-$900 Per person. We can fly to Seattle on SWA and it is $330 Per person and then rent a van for about $300. Is Customs coming over from Seattle worse than coming in at YVR or better...Just trying to see if it is worth it. Going out from Seattle would require one night in hotel.

It would be impossible to ask a smarter group of people.

You can also take the train from Seattle to Vancouver. Just a thought.

Not only can you do it, you can do it for a fraction of the cost ($32pp adults, $16pp kids!) of a minivan rental and avoid the surly border staff entirely. You'll see much nicer CBSA staff who only have to walk two blocks from their new HQ on Main St to the lovely indoor train station booths, so tend to be mellower than the ones stuck in the fishbowls in all weathers at the actual border.

But seriously, if you're traveling with your family in a rental minivan odds are you'll breeze through the border - provided the offspring don't decide it would be funny to say they've been kidnapped, and nobody brings fruit (or God forbid Kinder Eggs on the way back...)

OK... I know I am a penny pincher. Going on DCL to Alaska in August. 4 Adults and two children. Air to Vancouver is $800-$900 Per person. We can fly to Seattle on SWA and it is $330 Per person and then rent a van for about $300. Is Customs coming over from Seattle worse than coming in at YVR or better...Just trying to see if it is worth it. Going out from Seattle would require one night in hotel.

It would be impossible to ask a smarter group of people.

Let me see...looking this morning airfare from houston to YVR is less than $600.pp. (Westjet, United)(some are non-stop)

whereas your airfare is less than $400pp.

Van = $300 ($50pp)

a hotel night ($150.x 2 rooms=$300 [$50 pp]

Flying to YVR isn't much different than SEA.

One item....passport book costs are a little higher than passport cards, so factor that into the math.

That's true. We did Celebrity for half the price of DCL. And Alaska isn't about Disney' date=' it is about whales and bears and scenery.[/quote']

Agreed.

Alaska is not the itinerary to choose to pinch pennies .

It's more about the sites and experiences than any ship .

Save your $$$ on a better deal with another cruise line as you need lots of $$$ for the unique excursions .