Wow she missed her cruise.

Sue Namy

She and her kids DID NOT miss their cruise.

If you watch the video the reporter states at the end that DCL confirmed that everyone booked on that cruise made it in time.

There is no excuse for the way she is speaking to the airline staff. NONE.

I feel sorry for the little girl and her sister too. For having a mother like that.

ex techie

Absolutely terrible how she treats the desk agent. No excuse whatsoever.

I find it slightly ironic she was trying to fly in the day before, got rebooked on a flight same day, and made the ship easily.

Edited by TomAceEsq

Actually, she was trying to fly in the *night* before (9 pm) and got booked on a flight the next morning (9 am). But she landed by noon and made the cruise.

This is another example of why it's so important to fly in to your cruise at least 24 hours in advance. I have personally witnessed 2 occasions in my cruising history where that extra 24 hours was a godsend. It would have been in this lady's case as well.

Point 1--this is what trip insurance is for. No, it can't give you back a missed vacation but at least it can give you the money to allow you to book another one.

Point 2--there is no excuse for treating a customer service agent this way. It wasn't her fault and she can't fix it.

Point 3--I'm glad I'm not on the ship with the crazy mama.

Wow. Can't believe she lost it on the staff when the airport closed. They had no say in it. And this was the day before? So she's freaking out and she's not even close to missing her cruise yet. Nice.

Again insurance is a good thing. I usually don't buy it because I have flight delay insurance with my credit card but this time for the cruise I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Actually, she was trying to fly in the *night* before (9 pm) and got booked on a flight the next morning (9 am). But she landed by noon and made the cruise.

This is another example of why it's so important to fly in to your cruise at least 24 hours in advance. I have personally witnessed 2 occasions in my cruising history where that extra 24 hours was a godsend. It would have been in this lady's case as well.

I'm not sure six or seven hours would have made a difference in this case.

Flying in the night before qualifies in my book as flying in the day before. It's all semantics after that.

Point 2--there is no excuse for treating a customer service agent this way. It wasn't her fault and she can't fix it.

Point 3--I'm glad I'm not on the ship with the crazy mama.

I hope the ship did not miss any port calls. Can you imagine her at Guest Services with that mouth.....

ex techie

At this point, the airline personal union needs to lean on the management to allow for better information distribution.

The airline knew the flight crew would be over hrs yet did not bring in a replacement crew to turn the plane right around. I think the airline wanted to keep the passengers in the terminal to reduce compensation. Think about it who would go get a hotel at 2am, when you would have to be up at 5am to get back to the airport.

A 12:00 touch down does not qualify as easily making to the ship in my book. Add 1 1/2 hrs for unload and baggage collection, 1 hr to take a taxi to the ship.

If the reason for a flight delay is weather, the airline is not required to pay any compensation, provide a hotel, meals, or anything else. The are very good at stretching reasons...for instance, my daughter's flight was canceled due to the flight crew being over allowed hours. The airline then turned it around and insisted that the reason they were over hours was a previous weather event and denied any compensation. I had a similar issue when the co-pilot couldn't get to the airport due to snow. They called this a "weather event," despite the fact that every other flight had a crew and was able to take off. Sorry, in my mind this is a crew issue, not a snow issue!

If the plane lands at 12:00, passengers can still get to the terminal in time for 4:00 all aboard. I don't like or recommend coming in the day of the cruise, but it can be done.

Couple of things:

1. That lady is crazy town.

2. I feel bad for her daughter, even if she did get on that cruise, she still has to cruise with crazy town.

3. People fly in the day of all the time. I do it most of the time, in fact, I've only flown in the day before once and it actually doesn't count because my plane was late and we landed at around 1am.

4. A 9pm flight the night before can more easily be late than a 6am flight the day of.

5. I ALWAYS get trip insurance and I ALWAYS have a hotel picked out at the first port of call and an idea of flight times to the next port of call. That sort of over-planning behavior calms me.

Point 1--this is what trip insurance is for. No' date=' it can't give you back a missed vacation but at least it can give you the money to allow you to book another one.

Point 3--I'm glad I'm not on the ship with the crazy mama.[/quote']

Read your trip insurance policy. Some wouldn't cover this in that it's the fault of the traveler.

Read your trip insurance policy. Some wouldn't cover this in that it's the fault of the traveler.

According to the news report, the flight was delayed due to weather. How is that the traveler's fault?

I do realize that some policies specify how long the delay must be in order to qualify.

She and her kids DID NOT miss their cruise.

If you watch the video the reporter states at the end that DCL confirmed that everyone booked on that cruise made it in time.

There is no excuse for the way she is speaking to the airline staff. NONE.

I feel sorry for the little girl and her sister too. For having a mother like that.

ex techie

Too true!

We don't know the entire story but I'm guessing this lady had come to the end of her rope. She was obviously very anxious and exhausted and was frustrated at being told different things every time she asked.

I just flew from LA to Dallas last night. I arrived at the gate in plenty of time. The flight leaving that gate before mine was delayed. I could see it said 6:00 departure and mine said 6:20 departure. I knew they were going to have to change gates. The plane coming in can't just sit on the taxiway if there is another gate they can go to. Sure enough, last minute gate change. We are already late by this point. Problem is, the gate agents kept saying, right up until the minute before the gate change that there wasn't going to be a gate change. When I left my seat to go to the new gate, there were no available seats at the new gate. No big deal for me, but there were families with small children. Had they made the decision earlier and told everyone, there would have been time to migrate over to the new gate and find somewhere to sit. Nope. Next problem, they halted boarding just after it began because the pilot was upset with something the maintenance crew told him. I don't expect to know everything about the work they do on a plane, but we stood in the jetway for nearly 30 minutes while the figured it out. They didn't tell us anything. Nothing at all.

We finally take off and we are now about 45 minutes behind schedule, putting us in Dallas at midnight. We get to baggage claim and they announce that the last car rental shuttle for the night is now leaving. People were standing at the carousel that had not even moved yet trying to figure out what to do. Leave to go rent the car and come back? No accommodation whatsoever. I just needed to get to my car in the parking lot so I was good, but really?

No excuse for this lady who lost it, but there needs to be some serious improvements in treating passengers with more respect. Communication is the key. Tell people what is going on. These people KNOW that if you get in late to Dallas Love Field, you are going to have a problem getting a rental car. They should SAY SOMETHING or DO SOMETHING that helps you make an informed decision. People get mad and start yelling when they don't know what is going on. Airlines expect them to just sit or stand and wait like good little minions until they are told what to do.

My situation was not stressful for me because I was not waiting to board a cruise ship, I did not have young kids with me, I was not in an unfamiliar place and I travel by air a lot so I can generally figure out for myself what is going on. Others were not so fortunate.

So many things that could have been handled better. Yes, the mother was definitely a bit off the chain, but she was obviously tired and stressed, a bad combination under the best of circumstances.

I have to say that my experiences flying over the past couple of years have gone from bad to worse. I have been downgraded on international long hauls due to crew issues cancelling my flight to the gateway ariport and have had to get Conde Nast involved to get the thousands of dollars difference in fare refunded. I have had three forced overnights due to mechanical/crew issues, and one due to "weather" which I think was a bold-faced lie so they didn't have to supply rooms as there were NO weather delays anywhere in North America that day and it was not a long-haul plane.

I have been told incorrect information so many times--once when I was trying to fly to MCO from EWR through PHL. Had they been honest and told me the truth--that my plane was still on the ground in CLE waiting for them to fly in a part from wherever, the math would have easily said that there was absolutely no way the flight would leave on time for me to make my connection. Had they been truthful, I could have gotten a ride to PHL and made the connection with an hour to spare. Instead I spent six hours in EWR, was refused to have my ticket written over to a competitor, was refused any compensation even though it was a mechanical delay, was finally put on a flight to PHL and despite running to the gate, was not allowed on the flight I had been rebooked on because they closed the doors early--even though they knew there were passengers on the delayed flight ON THE GROUND in PHL. To make matters worse, the plane that closed the door early sat there at the gate for another 15 minutes while 20 of use stood there outside the jetway door. They hadn't pushed back, so it had nothing to do with timing out.

They grudgingly gave hotel chits--one CSR even suggested to two unrelated travelers not flying together that maybe they could share. Seriously? No meals, no nothing, just a bare bones room and four hours sleep. I had to fight to get the compensation due to me by the airlines own COS. I haven't flown them since--and I used to be a top-tier FF with them.

Bottom line, our government is enabling this terrible treatment by allowing the repeated mergers which are giving the consumer fewer choices and consequently allowing the carriers to treat passengers worse and worse. It will only get worse util Congress forces change.

I am surprised she was allowed to fly.

Exactly!! After this behavior I was surprised the airline did not cancel her citing safety concerns (had she lost it in the air it would have been considered interference with a flight crew).

To others who are upset that the airline offered no real compensation....when circumstances are beyond airline control (weather, etc) the only thing they are required to provide is a seat on the next available flight with seats (no hotel, meals, etc). Honestly, she's lucky there was a flight with seats the next morning. After weather events, I've seen people booked days later (1st available seats).

Exactly!! After this behavior I was surprised the airline did not cancel her citing safety concerns (had she lost it in the air it would have been considered interference with a flight crew).

To others who are upset that the airline offered no real compensation....when circumstances are beyond airline control (weather, etc) the only thing they are required to provide is a seat on the next available flight with seats (no hotel, meals, etc). Honestly, she's lucky there was a flight with seats the next morning. After weather events, I've seen people booked days later (1st available seats).

I agree!

ex techie

Now this couple DID miss their NCL ship.

Only after the lady was late, they waited an additional 30 minutes, her husband then left the kids with family onboard and got off to go try to find her and they both were left behind....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2348386

[YOUTUBE]Woe0bSfbR0o[/YOUTUBE]

No sympathy for them whatsoever.

ex techie