Toddler Friendly Excursions - Western Caribbean

kadiebug12

Hi! We are booked on a 7 day Disney Cruise on the Fantasy in just over a month, taking our 3 year old. Just wondering if anyone has toddler friendly excursions in Grand Cayman or Cozumel they would recommend. Thanks!

We leave in about a week and booked an independent tour in Grand Cayman to swim with Stingrays.They arrange a special time, since we don't get in until later. My grandkids are 2 and 3 and very excited. My daughters and I have been before. The kids are free and adults are $45

In Cozumel, we will probably just walk around a bit and then go back to the ship. Been there numerous times.

I'm not sure what age limits the ship excursions have, but you might want to look at independent tours.

Grand Cayman--Turtle Farm. I really think that 2 and 3 year olds are going to be too small to stand comfortably in the Stingray City area, so would not recommend that excursion. And I don't think kids that young can do the Castaway Cay stingray thing.

Cozumel--there is a shopping center right by the dock. There is usually a guy dressed up with his burro. For a small fee they can sit on the burro and have photos taken. If you want a beach, Paradise beach is totally family friendly. There are no beaches that I'm aware of within walking distance of the docks.

In Cozumel, we took our 20 month old to Chankanaab Beach Park last month. There is a very small beach with a protected cove area. The water is no more than a few feet deep. My daughter had a fantastic time there playing in the sand and the water, because there were no waves. We brought a small blow-up boat from home and she rode around the water with daddy pushing her.

You can also watch the dolphins and there is a sea lion show.

In Grand Cayman, no way would I take my toddler to Stingray City. I went on an excursion there several years ago and loved it, but I just don't see my kiddo enjoying being held in the water for an opportunity to touch a stingray that she may or may not be scared of. Plus the excursion we went on stopped to snorkel for a while before going to the stingrays. She would hate being stuck on the boat while all the other people are in the water.

I'm considering the Turtle Farm for our cruise there in the fall.

Edited by wampuscat7

Well, I guess we will see with the stingrays. They are both pretty gutsy and have seen plenty of YouTube videos.. It's what they wanted to do. There will be 3 adults, so no problem holding them or staying on the boat if they don't want to go in.

Will let you know how it turned out when we get back. They are free, so it's not like a big loss if they don't want to go in. They may just enjoy staying on the boat and watching.

I would highly recommend the turtle farm in grand Cayman. They will enjoy touching the turtles. There is also a very kid friendly zero entry fresh water pool for swimming.

In Cozumel I would recommend Playa Mia for little ones.

You can do the turtle farm alone or with the other activities at Boatswain's. They provide transportation from the tender area as well.

Good thing--beaches at Grand Cayman are totally free. You can pay to rent chairs, umbrellas, etc. But if you want to spread a towel on the sand and swim/play in sand, it is free. There are plenty of taxis as well as public bus to the various beaches.

Well, I guess we will see with the stingrays. They are both pretty gutsy and have seen plenty of YouTube videos.. It's what they wanted to do. There will be 3 adults, so no problem holding them or staying on the boat if they don't want to go in.

Will let you know how it turned out when we get back. They are free, so it's not like a big loss if they don't want to go in. They may just enjoy staying on the boat and watching.

I know some tots who I'm sure would love it. Just not my kiddo. She takes her time before she feels comfortable and confident in a situation like that, especially surrounded by new people. I'm sure you'll have a great time.

• 3 months later...
In Cozumel, we took our 20 month old to Chankanaab Beach Park last month. There is a very small beach with a protected cove area. The water is no more than a few feet deep. My daughter had a fantastic time there playing in the sand and the water, because there were no waves. We brought a small blow-up boat from home and she rode around the water with daddy pushing her.

You can also watch the dolphins and there is a sea lion show.

In Grand Cayman, no way would I take my toddler to Stingray City. I went on an excursion there several years ago and loved it, but I just don't see my kiddo enjoying being held in the water for an opportunity to touch a stingray that she may or may not be scared of. Plus the excursion we went on stopped to snorkel for a while before going to the stingrays. She would hate being stuck on the boat while all the other people are in the water.

I'm considering the Turtle Farm for our cruise there in the fall.

We will be travelling with our 23 month old. How did you get around in port? Did you take a car seat on the ship for use in port vehicles?

We will be travelling with our 23 month old. How did you get around in port? Did you take a car seat on the ship for use in port vehicles?

You can take a car seat if you wish, but it is very likely that it won't be possible to install it in the vehicles at the ports. Grand Cayman--possibly. Mexico--not likely. What you do is you hold the child in your lap. Yes, I know that parents today find that a horror, but those of us who are older remember the days before cars in the US had seat belts, let alone car seats.

And many of those same parents who would never drive without the car seat (nor would I now), will try to save money by not purchasing a plane seat and placing the child in their car seat on the plane. The child can be injured on the plane, not only in a crash but also from turbulence. So, is the issue safety (in which case they should be properly seated/restrained on the plane as well as in a car) or is it compliance with the law (in which case there is no issue in Mexico or Grand Cayman as car seats are not required)?

Hi, car seat is a hot topic. We've never used car seats on the ship, Dh drops us off at the cruise terminal, then handles parking and luggage.

In grand Carmen we take a taxi to the free beach. They have showers, bathrooms, stuff to rent, people selling food. The beach area within walking distance is very rocky and not fun. It's well worth the taxi fare.

In Cozumel, depending on pier we either get Starbucks or stay on the ship. I've found my dd has fun on ship, so we will save the money for now and do excursions when the kids are older, if they want. At 14mn to 4ys, the splash pad & cartoons were super fun.