Late Dining-Wait Listed

retire2cruise55

We booked our 4/4/16 Dream cruise over 1 year ago and have been on the main dining wait list ever since.... I've been calling weekly to see if we have cleared and checking the website. Really don't want to have to get things changed when we board. What's the longest you've been wait listed?

We booked our 4/4/16 Dream cruise over 1 year ago and have been on the main dining wait list ever since.... I've been calling weekly to see if we have cleared and checking the website. Really don't want to have to get things changed when we board. What's the longest you've been wait listed?

Sorry I can't answer your questions but I have a question for you. We are going on our first Disney cruise and selected late dining. Do you find that to be a good choice? On other lines (Princess mainly) we have found that the late dining negatively impacts the ability to enjoy the evening entertainment.

Thanks for your feedback.

On DCL, we like late dining, but we don't have little kids any more. Late dining does interfere with some of the best kid activities.

As to waiting--at some point, a CM will be assigned to "work" the wait list and move as many people as she can. Prior to that time, it is possible to get someone on the phone who will move you during the call.

Contrary to popular opinion, they do not fill main dining and then divert everyone else to late. They try to keep the seatings as balanced as possible. So if the first family of 10 people books and gets main seating, the next 10 people (not bookings, but people) will get assigned to late. The default is always set to late because so many more people want early/main.

To answer your question, it is not a matter of how long you stay on the wait list; it is a matter of when they deal with the wait list for your cruise. I've had them move us with the first phone call. I've also handled it after boarding.

Sorry I can't answer your questions but I have a question for you. We are going on our first Disney cruise and selected late dining. Do you find that to be a good choice? On other lines (Princess mainly) we have found that the late dining negatively impacts the ability to enjoy the evening entertainment.

Welcome! You will enjoy Disney regardless of dinning times. They have late and early entertainment to accommodate both seatings. We have smaller kids and eat early so "main" AKA early dinning is our preference.

On DCL' date=' we like late dining, but we don't have little kids any more. Late dining does interfere with some of the best kid activities.

As to waiting--at some point, a CM will be assigned to "work" the wait list and move as many people as she can. Prior to that time, it is possible to get someone on the phone who will move you during the call.

Contrary to popular opinion, they do not fill main dining and then divert everyone else to late. They try to keep the seatings as balanced as possible. So if the first family of 10 people books and gets main seating, the next 10 people (not bookings, but people) will get assigned to late. The default is always set to late because so many more people want early/main.

To answer your question, it is not a matter of how long you stay on the wait list; it is a matter of when they deal with the wait list for your cruise. I've had them move us with the first phone call. I've also handled it after boarding.[/quote']

Thank you! I guess I will hit the phones this week again in attempt to get cleared before next Monday when our cruise leaves.

Thank you! I guess I will hit the phones this week again in attempt to get cleared before next Monday when our cruise leaves.

Good luck. If your KTTW card still doesn't show what you want, go to "Dining changes" at the location listed in the Welcome Aboard Navigator and see what they can do for you. MOST of the time it is in Royal Palace and open at boarding, but location and times do change occasionally.

You do not say what your party consists of, adults only or adults and kids, however you will not miss the main stage productions with late dining, as you will see it prior to your evening dinner, and those with early dining will see it whilst you dine. 2 shows each evening.

ex techie

You do not say what your party consists of, adults only or adults and kids, however you will not miss the main stage productions with late dining, as you will see it prior to your evening dinner, and those with early dining will see it whilst you dine. 2 shows each evening.

ex techie

All 3 are adults no kids. That's good to hear. princess used to be this way but they started scheduling some main shows at odd times that prevent late traditional diners from seeing them which is disappointing. We really wanted to make sure we saw the fireworks on Pirate Night.

All 3 are adults no kids. That's good to hear. princess used to be this way but they started scheduling some main shows at odd times that prevent late traditional diners from seeing them which is disappointing. We really wanted to make sure we saw the fireworks on Pirate Night.

You won't miss any adult things on DCL with late dining. The adult stuff starts at 10 or 10:30 nightly, so that's plenty of time to finish dinner and walk down the hall. As above, you'll see the main stage shows during early dinner. Typically the show will start about 6 (check Navigator; there can be a 15 minute time difference on some cruises). Then there will be family things at 7:30 which will end in time for you to get to dinner.

Being told to 'relax' when you have little kids or when you know you can't do late seating, but you are scheduled for late is easier said than done! I would be like you original poster, freaked out until this was resolved. I have always been successfully moved to early dining (once it did take me until the 2nd day.) But I will say, it doesn't freak me out as much any more because I have always been moved and I feel like I have contingencies if I am not moved. I wrote up my experience since I was re-telling the story over and over. Here it is! GOOD LUCK!!! and I am confident that you will get switched. (ps- I don't think calling makes a difference.)

he how to's of moving your dining reservation on Disney Cruise Line. This post specifically deals with going from late seating to first seating (main) but it could be used in reverse if there was ever a need.

I've been scheduled for late dining but needed early for 3 Disney Cruises within the past 2 years. In all 3 cases I've eventually been successful in my request to move to early dining. For the first 2 cruises I booked REALLY last minute- the week before for one trip and 3 or 4 weeks before for the other trip. I put my request in my reservation both times to be placed on the wait list. Both cruises were 7 nights on the Fantasy. For the second cruise, which was this past summer, we were moved before we set sail! I was actually able to log into my account and see that I was moved several days before we cruised. What a nice feeling!

On the first cruise, we weren't moved to early dining before setting sail. I had booked this cruise one week before we sailed and I put a request in (wait list) for early seating, which was not granted. Upon boarding the ship I had to go to the designated area to request a seating change, in this case it was the Royal Court dining room just off the entrance. I was like 15th on the list as we didn't board until around 2:45 pm. I was told I would be notified that night about getting moved - they really didn't notify us. Since we weren't notified, or moved, we just ordered room service and ate in the room. The whole thing was disappointing.

In the future if we aren't moved before the cruise starts, we will just eat quick service outside on the pool deck and eat sandwiches, pizza, salads or whatever the offer. They even have high chairs in the seating area for my little guy. That would have worked out much better, which is why I am no longer concerned if my dining time doesn't get moved right away, or ever. On the cruise mentioned above, we were ultimately moved to first seating by the morning of the 2nd day. They notified us around 10 am. The plan for the future if we aren't moved is to eat at Cabanas (the buffet which turns into a table service restaurant at night) for the nights they are open. Cabanas isn't available the first or last night of the cruise. So this is when quick service would come into play.

Our third Disney cruise was booked 4 weeks before departure and as a result we were forced into second seating for dinner which just wouldn't work with my toddler. [Dinner would have started a half hour after his bedtime.] We were placed on a wait list and I am very happy to report that our request was approved and we were moved into main/early dining before the start of the cruise. [i was able to confirm this by logging into my account and reviewing the cruise details. Under the cruise details it indicated we were in main dining.] I received this information about 3 days before the cruise. This took so much stress away for that first day. Had I not secured main dining before the cruise we would have had to go to the designated area the first day of the cruise to make the request one more time.My kiddo is sleeping before the second service begins, so that seating is just not an option right now for my family. But like I said, with the other options. I am just not worried at all anymore about being moved.

Finally, for our fourth Disney cruise, which was during a busy winter week, we were once again forced into late dining. We booked that particular cruise about 6 months before the cruise. Luckily for us, we were moved into early seating before we were even able to do on board check-in.

Thank you! You described my feelings about this perfectly. We cruise in 2 days and are still in 2nd seating. Having cruised on Disney several times, we know that we can try to get moved once we board. However, we would prefer to relax knowing it's taken care of. One of my kiddos has several food allergies which limits options... Disney is aware of this.

To have booked this cruise so far in advance, paid what we did (Disney's not cheap) & have to stress about this is making me rethink future cruises. Not saying that we won't cruise with DCL; we just won't do so unless we get 1st seating at the time of booking. Lesson learned!

Being told to 'relax' when you have little kids or when you know you can't do late seating, but you are scheduled for late is easier said than done! I would be like you original poster, freaked out until this was resolved. I have always been successfully moved to early dining (once it did take me until the 2nd day.) But I will say, it doesn't freak me out as much any more because I have always been moved and I feel like I have contingencies if I am not moved. I wrote up my experience since I was re-telling the story over and over. Here it is! GOOD LUCK!!! and I am confident that you will get switched. (ps- I don't think calling makes a difference.)

he how to's of moving your dining reservation on Disney Cruise Line. This post specifically deals with going from late seating to first seating (main) but it could be used in reverse if there was ever a need.

I've been scheduled for late dining but needed early for 3 Disney Cruises within the past 2 years. In all 3 cases I've eventually been successful in my request to move to early dining. For the first 2 cruises I booked REALLY last minute- the week before for one trip and 3 or 4 weeks before for the other trip. I put my request in my reservation both times to be placed on the wait list. Both cruises were 7 nights on the Fantasy. For the second cruise, which was this past summer, we were moved before we set sail! I was actually able to log into my account and see that I was moved several days before we cruised. What a nice feeling!

On the first cruise, we weren't moved to early dining before setting sail. I had booked this cruise one week before we sailed and I put a request in (wait list) for early seating, which was not granted. Upon boarding the ship I had to go to the designated area to request a seating change, in this case it was the Royal Court dining room just off the entrance. I was like 15th on the list as we didn't board until around 2:45 pm. I was told I would be notified that night about getting moved - they really didn't notify us. Since we weren't notified, or moved, we just ordered room service and ate in the room. The whole thing was disappointing.

In the future if we aren't moved before the cruise starts, we will just eat quick service outside on the pool deck and eat sandwiches, pizza, salads or whatever the offer. They even have high chairs in the seating area for my little guy. That would have worked out much better, which is why I am no longer concerned if my dining time doesn't get moved right away, or ever. On the cruise mentioned above, we were ultimately moved to first seating by the morning of the 2nd day. They notified us around 10 am. The plan for the future if we aren't moved is to eat at Cabanas (the buffet which turns into a table service restaurant at night) for the nights they are open. Cabanas isn't available the first or last night of the cruise. So this is when quick service would come into play.

Our third Disney cruise was booked 4 weeks before departure and as a result we were forced into second seating for dinner which just wouldn't work with my toddler. [Dinner would have started a half hour after his bedtime.] We were placed on a wait list and I am very happy to report that our request was approved and we were moved into main/early dining before the start of the cruise. [i was able to confirm this by logging into my account and reviewing the cruise details. Under the cruise details it indicated we were in main dining.] I received this information about 3 days before the cruise. This took so much stress away for that first day. Had I not secured main dining before the cruise we would have had to go to the designated area the first day of the cruise to make the request one more time.My kiddo is sleeping before the second service begins, so that seating is just not an option right now for my family. But like I said, with the other options. I am just not worried at all anymore about being moved.

Finally, for our fourth Disney cruise, which was during a busy winter week, we were once again forced into late dining. We booked that particular cruise about 6 months before the cruise. Luckily for us, we were moved into early seating before we were even able to do on board check-in.

Thank you! You described my feelings about this perfectly. We cruise in 2 days and are still in 2nd seating. Having cruised on Disney several times, we know that we can try to get moved once we board. However, we would prefer to relax knowing it's taken care of. One of my kiddos has several food allergies which limits options... Disney is aware of this.

To have booked this cruise so far in advance, paid what we did (Disney's not cheap) & have to stress about this is making me rethink future cruises. Not saying that we won't cruise with DCL; we just won't do so unless we get 1st seating at the time of booking. Lesson learned!

Good luck and if you think about it, post how it turned out once you return?

Did you log in and confirm that you are still in late seating?

Just returned from the cruise and sharing how things turned out...

-At boarding we were still in 2nd seating.

-Dinning changes were accepted at 1 PM in Royal Palace. We were placed on a list and asked to show up at 5:45 at which time we would then know if our request for main dinning could be accommodated.

NOTE: When we reserved the cruise we requested our own table given DDs allergies... I had to pleade for this again.

-When we showed up for dinner at 5:45, we were told our requests had been accommodated. Whew...now I could enjoy the cruise.

-We ended up with tables which were clearly set up last minute; near the kitchen/cleaning areas. However, we were happy neverless to be in main dinning.

*Again, to avoid all of this, we will not book with Disney unless we get main seating at the time of booking.

Thank you all for your support and suggestions!

-At boarding we were still in 2nd seating.

-Dinning changes were accepted at 1 PM in Royal Palace. We were placed on a list and asked to show up at 5:45 at which time we would then know if our request for main dinning could be accommodated.

NOTE: When we reserved the cruise we requested our own table given DDs allergies... I had to pleade for this again.

-When we showed up for dinner at 5:45, we were told our requests had been accommodated. Whew...now I could enjoy the cruise.

-We ended up with tables which were clearly set up last minute; near the kitchen/cleaning areas. However, we were happy neverless to be in main dinning.

*Again, to avoid all of this, we will not book with Disney unless we get main seating at the time of booking.

Glad it worked out.

I'm glad you got the seating you wished and waited so long for!

But I believe everyone is assigned late dinner seating when booking if I have read Shmoo's posts correctly, so that would unfortunately mean no more DCL cruises.

That is a shame.

ex techie

I'm glad you got the seating you wished and waited so long for!

But I believe everyone is assigned late dinner seating when booking if I have read Shmoo's posts correctly, so that would unfortunately mean no more DCL cruises.

That is a shame.

ex techie

When cruises are first opened you can for sure switch the dining seating to early when making the booking.

When cruises are first opened you can for sure switch the dining seating to early when making the booking.

Ok, sorry I was just going off this information posted by Shmoo posted Nov 14th 2015:

When DCL switched to the "new" website, the option for dinner seating selection disappeared. The default for anyone making a reservation (online) is "late". If you want to get main seating, you have to then call DCL and have it changed. Or be put on the wait list.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48282004&postcount=5

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie
Add link and dates

Hope everyone that wants first seating gets it. We always ask for second seating. Our grandson was about 5 when we took him on our first cruise. He handled it well. I just feel that second seating is so much more relaxed. We go out afterwards to the clubs while the kids meet their friends. I tried first seating once. Eating at 530 or so is just way too early for us. At home we try to eat at 7 or later.

We just got off the Dream yesterday and we were never able to change our dining time to early. We went to the dining room on the first night and our waitstaff was spread so thin it was awful!

We sat down at 8:15pm and at 9:00pm we had only had our soup! Even though we let them know as soon as we arrived that our granddaughter was doing the "Dine and Play" and needed to be out front to meet the kids counselors by 9:15 she still did not get her food until 9:00. She desperately wanted a Mickey Bar for dessert but they didn't get it to her until we were leaving the table at 9:18....so she got a bite of one ear. I do not blame the waitstaff because they were literally running trying to get everyone served......I blame the Disney Corporation for cutting back on the staff so badly.

We did not go back to the dining room after the first night and ate in Cabanas instead where we had excellent service and excellent food in a very relaxed setting and were able to eat at 6:30pm.

We did NOT remove any of our prepaid tips so please don't think we were so upset that we would hurt the dining room staff. It was just not a good dining time or pleasant atmosphere for us or our granddaughter.

The rest of the cruise was over the top fantastic!! We thoroughly enjoyed every moment and indicated as such on our comment cards.

Edited by GTO-Girl

We just got off the Dream yesterday and we were never able to change our dining time to early. We went to the dining room on the first night and our waitstaff was spread so thin it was awful!

We sat down at 8:15pm and at 9:00pm we had only had our soup! Even though we let them know as soon as we arrived that our granddaughter was doing the "Dine and Play" and needed to be out front to meet the kids counselors by 9:15 she still did not get her food until 9:00. She desperately wanted a Mickey Bar for dessert but they didn't get it to her until we were leaving the table at 9:18....so she got a bite of one ear. I do not blame the waitstaff because they were literally running trying to get everyone served......I blame the Disney Corporation for cutting back on the staff so badly.

We did not go back to the dining room after the first night and ate in Cabanas instead where we had excellent service and excellent food in a very relaxed setting and were able to eat at 6:30pm.

We did NOT remove any of our prepaid tips so please don't think we were so upset that we would hurt the dining room staff. It was just not a good dining time or pleasant atmosphere for us or our granddaughter.

The rest of the cruise was over the top fantastic!! We thoroughly enjoyed every moment and indicated as such on our comment cards.

Thats terrible!

Sound like they have cut back on wait staff and the chefs plating up dishes.

So sad they have succumbed to the industry standards level, rather than being the best just to save a buck.

Glad you didn't remove the tips and also that you had a greet cruise despite poor service but not for the want of trying by your servers.

ex techie