Wonder Drydock Poll

Ex techie

What would you chose for the Wonders drydock?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. What would you chose for the Wonders drydock?

• YES - Addition of a "ducktail" - I do not mind the ducktail
    • NO - Addition of a "ducktail" - I do not like the ducktail
    • YES - Re-imagineer the adult only bars - It needs updating
    • MAYBE - Re-imagineer the adult only bars - I'm not bothered
    • NO - Re-imagineer the adult only bars - I like them as they are
    • YES - Re-imagineer the atrium lobby - (remove one of the staircases and install a new chandelier)
    • NO - Re-imagineer the atrium lobby - I like the atrium lobby as it is!
    • YES - Replace the Mickey slide with Twist 'n Spout
    • NO - Leave the Mickey slide - The Mickey slide is fine as it is and better for small kids
    • YES - Renovate Beach Blanket into Cabanas
    • MAYBE - An update to Beach Blanket, but not the same style as Cabanas
    • NO - Beach Blanket is fine as it is
    • YES - Keep Parrot Cay
    • NO - Replace Parrot Cay with a more modern theme

From the bad poll thread!

Well, personally, I'd like Nemo's reef. Because I'll be on the wonder after dry dock with two babies.

Tangled would cool. I think my kid would enjoy that show.

Please no Star Wars!

Other than that, I don't know enough to know what I want.

From the bad poll thread!

I know I'm in the minority' date=' but I'd like to NOT have some yellow monstrosity mounted on the pool deck and totally destroying the classic look of the ship.

Obviously they are going to do a new installation of Animator's Palate, which is needed because they can't repair the old one any more. That's also sad as the Wonder is the only ship still running the original program.

Get rid of Parrot Cay, but PLEASE do something better than Carioca's. Something more classy (like Enchanted Garden) would be nice...or something totally unique.

Yes, they will undoubtedly change BBB into Cabanas...probably a good thing if more people would learn how to use Cabanas. There are "stations." You go to what you want, not a single line from beginning to end! People just don't get it.

They won't do it, but I'd love to see at least a few rooms with the option of separating the big bed. I think it was a mistake to convert all the rooms to one big bed only.

They will re-do the nightclub area and that's OK. It is looking a bit dated.

And if they don't do a big yellow monstrosity, they will also be able to skip the duck tail.[/quote']

Originally Posted by moki'smommy View Post

I know I'm in the minority, but I'd like to NOT have some yellow monstrosity mounted on the pool deck and totally destroying the classic look of the ship.

Interesting!

To me Twist n' Spout wasn't nearly as obtrusive as the AquaDunk!

The structure is designed with only function and not form to replace to the surrounding space really stands out against the red funnel IMO!

Obviously they are going to do a new installation of Animator's Palate, which is needed because they can't repair the old one any more. That's also sad as the Wonder is the only ship still running the original program.

Personally I think they "could" save the old show, and should run it as a lunch time experience with a lighter fare offering, and the new show in the evening.

Ticketed obviously, I think it would be fun for those that remember it!

Get rid of Parrot Cay, but PLEASE do something better than Carioca's. Something more classy (like Enchanted Garden) would be nice...or something totally unique.

Yes, they will undoubtedly change BBB into Cabanas...probably a good thing if more people would learn how to use Cabanas. There are "stations." You go to what you want, not a single line from beginning to end! People just don't get it.

Maybe they need better management of Guest's, and maybe moving the entrance to say the sides of the restaurant would help make people disperse to the various areas rather than thinking of a formal line?

They won't do it, but I'd love to see at least a few rooms with the option of separating the big bed. I think it was a mistake to convert all the rooms to one big bed only.

And that is such a simple thing to do!

Have a category of each Stateroom that has dividing beds.

They will re-do the nightclub area and that's OK. It is looking a bit dated.

Maybe a 1990's/2000's theme? Wow that seems like only yesterday!

And if they don't do a big yellow monstrosity, they will also be able to skip the duck tail.

Answers in Red

ex techie

I wasn't even thinking Twist N Spout. I was thinking AquaDuck/AquaDunk type ugly yellow stuff.

And thanks for including the atrium--another big mistake in the Magic's redo.

Keeping the original Animator's as a lunch event would be great....but the stories I've heard from CMs are that they are doing makeshift repairs as there are none of the original "parts" available. No idea what parts they are referring to.

My bottom line--keep as much of the original as possible, cleaned and spiffed up, of course. Do not try to turn her into a "mini Fantasy."

The bed issue....they had a lot of complaints when the bed attachments weren't installed correctly and decided to do the whole upgrade bedding thing. Unfortunately, they failed to consider that not everyone who cruises are traditional couples and don't particularly want to sleep together. But 2 people in a cabin might appreciate a "real" bed rather than a flip couch. As you noted, make a designated category where there are 2 separate beds. Let the person booking decide....at least to a limited extent. They might encounter issues with "not enough" or "too many." That could be handled the same way as the HA cabins--if you wait too long, there may not be any available. Or if you are a last minute booking, *GT, GTY, you might find yourself assigned to one of these cabins with a "connector" joining the beds upon request.

Edited by moki'smommy

I wasn't even thinking Twist N Spout. I was thinking AquaDuck/AquaDunk type ugly yellow stuff.

And thanks for including the atrium--another big mistake in the Magic's redo.

Keeping the original Animator's as a lunch event would be great....but the stories I've heard from CMs are that they are doing makeshift repairs as there are none of the original "parts" available. No idea what parts they are referring to.

My bottom line--keep as much of the original as possible' date=' cleaned and spiffed up, of course. Do not try to turn her into a "mini Fantasy."[/quote']

The original show quite likely is still running on old technology video and audio replay units. Alcorn McBride were one of the manufacturers along with custom built Disney control software brought over from the parks.

These days I expect it's all running on computer servers rather than interlinked separate pieces custom hardware.

And the apertures for the video screens are still in a 4:3 format (like the old CRT TV's but these were rear projection TV's) and they will have updated the screens to possibly still plasma's, maybe LCD screens in the current 16:9 ratio, but you can't see all of the display.

Sorry too techie!

But there is no reason the old show cannot be recreated and shown with the new larger screens, it's just the video content will be still in 4:3 ratio so have black bars either side.

There is absolutely no reason they cannot do this, apart from whether they will spend the time and money. And the content will be in old lower resolution and not HD, unless they again recreate the content with upscaling and higher resolution video than the old NTSC content.

The old show was superior in my opinion too. Even the lighting was more dramatic and timed to perfection.

Maybe they should bring back the old school designers for the new ships!

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

IThe bed issue....they had a lot of complaints when the bed attachments weren't installed correctly and decided to do the whole upgrade bedding thing. Unfortunately' date=' they failed to consider that not everyone who cruises are traditional couples and don't particularly want to sleep together. But 2 people in a cabin might appreciate a "real" bed rather than a flip couch. As you noted, make a designated category where there are 2 separate beds. Let the person booking decide....at least to a limited extent. They might encounter issues with "not enough" or "too many." That could be handled the same way as the HA cabins--if you wait too long, there may not be any available. Or if you are a last minute booking, *GT, GTY, you might find yourself assigned to one of these cabins with a "connector" joining the beds upon request.[/quote']

Well, Disney have a wealth of imagineering knowledge, and a team of hundreds if not a 1000 "Imagineers".

Developing a queen sized bed that is comfortable, and that can be split into 2 singles should NOT be beyond them! Apparently it is.....

ex techie

I have yet to sail on DCL as our first cruise is in January on the Wonder.

IMO I have no idea why people care so much about the duck tail that they may see for 30 seconds a day while waking back to the ship. Who cares? If it impacted something that people actually use then I understand the frustration but I read a thread the other day that said they won't sail on DCL if all the ships have the duck tail. That seems crazy to me.

I am all for anything that adds value and improves services on board. I've heard that the restaurant refresh to make it similar to those on the Magic is a welcome change with some improved food offerings and better atmosphere.

I'm all for an awesome water slide as long as adults can use it [emoji41]. Aesthetics don't really bother me to the point of where it would ruin a cruise.

Improved internet speeds would be great.

As I've only been on the Wonder I have nothing to compare, but something obvious (but not ugly) to indicate if I'm walking forward or towards the aft would help. I was on board 7 nights and never figured it out. My husband did, so maybe it's just me...

I have seen the old show on the Magic, but at that time most of it didn't work. To me the new show is pretty similar but again I never saw the original in it's hay dayl to compare. I like the current one on the Magic though.

The duck tail doesn't bother me. It's not pretty but I really don't care.

Cariocas on the Magic is a fail in my opinion, though the menu keeps changing with some things taken off and others added so I think they are still trying to find better options that people enjoy. I have eaten there twice now and the 2nd time was much better than the first. There are some really good things on that menu though....sadly each time I have gotten the skewers they have not been good.

I would like them to keep Parrot Cay, but again it's not my favorite place either. But it would be really neat to see them come up with something totally new and unique to the Wonder. Since it goes to Alaskan, maybe something fish themed?

The water slide....I don't use them so I don't care. If they did an Aquaduck I would be all for that, but I know they can't on the Wonder.

I also don't care if they take away one staircase, but I wish they would keep the Chihuly. Chances are good that it will be removed. I am not a fan of what they replaced on the Magic, so if they do remove it on the Wonder I hope it's better looking.

When is the dry dock scheduled?

Personally, I don't have any real dislikes either way. I've been on the Magic after the reimagineering and was on the Wonder this past fall. The only real thing that I think they missed was replacing the original Chihuly chandelier in the atrium lobby. I happen to like Cabanas, because the flow is better than standing on two lines. Yes, I know that at busy times, people tend to bunch up, but with more stations, it just seemed to work better. And I hated when I got stuck in Parrot Cay on formal night. Other than that, as long as I'm on the ship and not at work, I'm happy.

As I've only been on the Wonder I have nothing to compare, but something obvious (but not ugly) to indicate if I'm walking forward or towards the aft would help. I was on board 7 nights and never figured it out. My husband did, so maybe it's just me...

In the Stateroom hallways, there are globe maps inlayed which if looking at the globe Forward was North, and Aft was South.

I seem to remember that when the carpets were replace on one ship, either the carpet fitters did not care, or they too were confused as some on the maps were pointing the wrong way!

From the Dream:

a874fd854d6b70221f168ef7ee019972.jpg

ex techie

Also on the Magic and Wonder, inside remember the fun towards Forward (WD Theater and adult lounges), and eating are towards Aft!

Stateroom numbers are low Forwards, and higher Aft.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

When is the dry dock scheduled?

Sept/oct for dry dock.

I haven't seen most of the shows. Dd was too young. We saw the last one, with Wendy and all the different characters. Peter Pan was there so dd was willing to watch. In the past, I liked carnival style more, where entertainment changes. But I'll be honest, we will be skipping at least the next 2-3 years, cause kids with bedtimes and I like sleep.

I have yet to sail on DCL as our first cruise is in January on the Wonder.

IMO I have no idea why people care so much about the duck tail that they may see for 30 seconds a day while waking back to the ship. Who cares? If it impacted something that people actually use then I understand the frustration but I read a thread the other day that said they won't sail on DCL if all the ships have the duck tail. That seems crazy to me.

I am all for anything that adds value and improves services on board. I've heard that the restaurant refresh to make it similar to those on the Magic is a welcome change with some improved food offerings and better atmosphere.

I'm all for an awesome water slide as long as adults can use it [emoji41]. Aesthetics don't really bother me to the point of where it would ruin a cruise.

Improved internet speeds would be great.

As for aesthetics, I think some people, like myself, take pride in "their" ship.

It's not something I can explain, but I guess if you feel it, then you feel it. And maybe some if they have lived aboard and the ship was their home, feel more strongly.

I guess we/they feel that the ducktail detracts from that silhouette at sea with it's sleek lines, and is an ugly addition.

I agree no sailing on a ship with the ducktail is very odd to me.

Also I think if you have an Aft balcony Stateroom, then being able to look down from there at just the sea being churned rather than a midnight blue sheet steel ducktail isn't as appealing.

There was a time on DCL where they hid or disguised as many necessary structural elements as possible.

The deck lighting posts discretely hide speakers in them on the classics:

FilmCrewDeck10_zpscoea26p0.jpg

On the Dream they forgot about that, but they did enclose them on the Fantasy:

027-ddsatellitesundeckfport-copy-592x444.jpg

As many as possible slide structural supports were disguised as a giant Mickey hand:

600-mickey-pool.jpg

And when the Magic was re-imagined they can up with this:

magic1013_04.jpg

And for the AquaDunk, the necessary supports are just a tangled bunch of posts

1382638646050-1018ZX-0084JD.jpg

And why couldn't that staircase be the same red as the funnel, and not glaring white to seamlessly blend in?

10521566305_da81cbbbdc_b.jpg

I guess it's the erosion of those little details and special touches some of us miss.

ex techie

As for aesthetics, I think some people, like myself, take pride in "their" ship.

It's not something I can explain, but I guess if you feel it, then you feel it. And maybe some if they have lived aboard and the ship was their home, feel more strongly.

I guess we/they feel that the ducktail detracts from that silhouette at sea with it's sleek lines, and is an ugly addition.

I agree no sailing on a ship with the ducktail is very odd to me.

I guess it's the erosion of those little details and special touches some of us miss.

ex techie

I completely understand the frustration for adding something that aesthetically is terrible. However I cannot comprehend how something like that would prevent you from sailing on a cruise line. Just like the conversation on the NCL ships exterior paint job. I may not like it but if everything else is great I'm certainly not going to skip sailing on them out of spite.

Edited by Steelers0854

I completely understand the frustration for adding something that aesthetically is terrible. However I cannot comprehend how something like that would prevent you from sailing on a cruise line. Just like the conversation on the NCL ships exterior paint job. I may not like it but if everything else is great I'm certainly not going to skip sailing on them out of spite.

Yes Saab4444's post did make me reread it a couple of times to make sure I had not misread it!

The ducktail also simply adds weight to the bottom of the ship in case additional weight is added on top (e.g. additional cabins and the water slides). However, does anyone know if Wonder gets an uggly ducktail? We would book a 2017 cruise on her only if the beautiful exterior look remains unchanged!

IMO the NCL ships are ugly as sin with their paint jobs.

And it isn't just to distinguish them from other lines, as AIDA have other odd to me designs.

AIDA-Cruises-Presents-Its-New-Flag-Ship.jpg

To me, if that is what they display on the outside of their ships, that is some sort of indication as to the decor on the inside, and personally, it would not appeal to me. And it must me a pain in the ass for crew to repaint those patterns with so many different colors!

Each to their own I guess and if it matters that much to Saab444, then fair play.

ex techie

I can't see the post in question, did it go poof? Anyway, I guess that poster would prefer that they forego the ducktail and charge even higher fares because of increased fuel consumption?

I can't see the post in question, did it go poof? Anyway, I guess that poster would prefer that they forego the ducktail and charge even higher fares because of increased fuel consumption?

It was on a different thread Chief,

And I think it's fair to say any money saved by reduced fuel consumption is not being passed on to the customer with DCL's prices for the Magic!

ex techie

And I think it's fair to say any money saved by reduced fuel consumption is not being passed on to the customer with DCL's prices for the Magic!

ex techie

Quite agree, but reducing fuel consumption over the life of the vessel will keep costs lower, so fares may rise slower than otherwise.

ex techie

I wasn't aware we were allowed to use "savings" and "DCL" in the same sentence [emoji6]

ex techie

They have little to do with each other. DCL charges what the market will bear. Costs are costs and they're always looking for ways to improve the bottom line. The ducktail apparently helps.