Dressing down in Palo

Steelers0854

I was just reading that you can now wear jeans in Palo as long as they do not have holes in them.

I personally think that jeans in good condition with a polo shirt or button down shirt is acceptable in the MDR for dinner, while I know many people disagree. But to me in a specialty restaurant I think they should have a slightly higher standard.

http://disneycruiselineblog.com/2016/04/palo-dress-code-altered-to-permit-jeans/

Since Disney's MDR dress code policy is basically "anything but swimwear", it makes sense that their specialty restaurant is just one step above (jeans and a polo shirt).

And even with that, I'm guessing they will still have to turn away people wearing shorts, and those people will not understand why "nice shorts" are not allowed.

Since Disney's MDR dress code policy is basically "anything but swimwear", it makes sense that their specialty restaurant is just one step above (jeans and a polo shirt).

And even with that, I'm guessing they will still have to turn away people wearing shorts, and those people will not understand why "nice shorts" are not allowed.

I have seen them allow "nice shorts" on the Fantasy. A theatre performer was with her family--last week of the contract. The outfit was gorgeous, but the short shorts left little to the imagination. Several of us noticed the shorts, but the group was seated with no issues.

Since they behaved appropriately, I really didn't care what she was wearing. I was surprised, however, that a quasi-CM was allowed to violate the stated policy.

When I cruised the dream a few years ago I did not pack any dress pants, only had jeans.

The host at Palo was so accommodating he sent pants (my size) up to my room within five minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Then, pretty soon, they'll informally allow "nice shorts" and then shortly after that the official dress code will change again. All part of the gradual decline of standards in society; here's hoping they hold a hard line at Remy, at least.

Hey if you pay the fair, wear what you like!

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

I disagree.

Book a cruise line that suits your desires and has dress codes you can and are willing to adhere to.

A cruise ticket is not a ticket to do what you want, behave how you want or wear what you want. The world does not revolve around you, your desires and your opinion and neither should a vacation location that has standards they wish to implement.

Your vacation, no matter how much you spend does not entitle you to do as you wish without regard for others or polcies.

Otherwise it will end up like Walmart on an Saturday afternoon or a black friday sale.

ex techie

Hey if you pay the fair, wear what you like!

No, I'm either too old or too old fashioned to go along with that.

First of all, you pay a "fare," not "fair."

Secondly, before you purchase there is plenty of literature and on line information to tell you what you are getting into and what is expected of you. I would be shocked and displeased to find people hanging out in the rainforest or adult pool area nude (hey, it's an adult area and that's perfectly acceptable in some cultures). Kids are expected to have a certain type of behavior in the programming areas or after appropriate warning, they will be banned from the programming. And we know in advance that certain areas of the ship have a dress code and we are expected to adhere to it. If you don't like the dress code, eat elsewhere or choose another line that has no "suggested attire" or dress code.

It's a matter of what is expected in the "society" that you have purchased a ticket into. If you don't like the standards set on DCL, there are plenty of other lines with differing standards. Buy your ticket for those lines. It's not "all about you" or the desires of a single guest. That kind of thinking is why we have those children running around the dining rooms and being in the way of the servers as well as imposing on the personal space of other cruisers--the parents don't feel the need to follow the societal norm that people of all ages maintain their place seated at the dinner table and that it is OK to say "NO" to a kid. And yes, I'm that mean person who, when a young child comes over to my table and tries to put his hands on me/my table/my food will tell him to go back to his mother and sit down. And if mommy dearest doesn't like that I spoke harshly to her "special snowflake," perhaps she should do her duty and parent the little darling.

The world doesn't revolve around one cruiser.

Edited by moki'smommy

No' date=' I'm either too old or too old fashioned to go along with that.

Secondly, before you purchase there is plenty of literature and on line information to tell you what you are getting into and what is expected of you. I would be shocked and displeased to find people hanging out in the rainforest or adult pool area nude (hey, it's an adult area and that's perfectly acceptable in some cultures). Kids are expected to have a certain type of behavior in the programming areas or after appropriate warning, they will be banned from the programming. And we know in advance that certain areas of the ship have a dress code and we are expected to adhere to it. If you don't like the dress code, eat elsewhere or choose another line that has no "suggested attire" or dress code.

It's a matter of what is expected in the "society" that you have purchased a ticket into. If you don't like the standards set on DCL, there are plenty of other lines with differing standards. Buy your ticket for those lines.[/quote']

Yes!!

It's a matter of what is expected in the "society" that you have purchased a ticket into. If you don't like the standards set on DCL, there are plenty of other lines with differing standards. Buy your ticket for those lines. It's not "all about you" or the desires of a single guest. That kind of thinking is why we have those children running around the dining rooms and being in the way of the servers as well as imposing on the personal space of other cruisers--the parents don't feel the need to follow the societal norm that people of all ages maintain their place seated at the dinner table and that it is OK to say "NO" to a kid. And yes, I'm that mean person who, when a young child comes over to my table and tries to put his hands on me/my table/my food will tell him to go back to his mother and sit down. And if mommy dearest doesn't like that I spoke harshly to her "special snowflake," perhaps she should do her duty and parent the little darling.

The world doesn't revolve around one cruiser.[/quote']

+1!

ex techie

The world doesn't revolve around one cruiser.[/quote']

Hey this is 21st century, not the 19th century, times have changed it is less formal now, younger people have money and not so concerned with projecting an image to show they have money. You as a cruiser who requires a strict dress code, move up to n exclusive lines and stop being so judgemental and enjoy your cruise experience, not how someone dresses, the car they drive, the house they live in, or the food they eat. Relax, life is too short and it will be all over, but hey you objected to how someone got dressed for dinner, don't have the time for your nonsense!

My problem is not how "rich" someone dresses (and for your info, I drive a 13 year old car and live in the same home I purchased almost 30 years ago). A person can dress appropriately without doing so expensively. My problem is behavior.

What I have seen on at least 2 of the DCL ships is that guests who were not dressed as per the "suggested attire" were behaving like rude pigs--harassing the serving team, etc. I learned long ago that if one took children out to a land based restaurant looking "decent," their behavior tended to match their clothing. It was well worth a few minutes to clean then up and change their clothing before going out for the improvement in manners, etc.

I've noticed a marked decrease in behavior and quality of the experience on DCL ships since July, 1998. And yes, I have largely moved on to other lines since I have an issue with the serious price increases coexisting with the lessening of quality.

I can totally appreciate where you are coming from when other cruisers are being rude and trying to have the world revolve around them. Completely unacceptable.

What I have trouble with is the dress codes that are a throw back to the traditional days of cruising. I know I am a fairly new cruiser but I found that the dress codes were more adhered to by experienced cruisers. I'm not sure if this is maintaining the tradition or is enjoyable for these individuals.

Being in the fun and exciting atmosphere of a cruise, I don't usually want to head back to my room and get dressed up to grab dinner. I also don't want to be stuck in the buffet. I guess my point is that as long as the way someone is dressed doesn't affect your experience, no need to turn your nose up.

Maybe I'm on the outside looking in.

I can totally appreciate where you are coming from when other cruisers are being rude and trying to have the world revolve around them. Completely unacceptable.

What I have trouble with is the dress codes that are a throw back to the traditional days of cruising. I know I am a fairly new cruiser but I found that the dress codes were more adhered to by experienced cruisers. I'm not sure if this is maintaining the tradition or is enjoyable for these individuals.

Being in the fun and exciting atmosphere of a cruise, I don't usually want to head back to my room and get dressed up to grab dinner. I also don't want to be stuck in the buffet. I guess my point is that as long as the way someone is dressed doesn't affect your experience, no need to turn your nose up.

I can agree with the concept that if the other cruiser is not affecting my experience, I don't care what they wear....within levels of public decency, etc. I guess my feelings come from the behavioral aspect and a tendency to see that in individuals who don't choose to adhere to the "suggestions" in other ways. And honestly, the "requests" regarding attire on Disney are pretty minimal--essentially no swimwear, tank tops, and put something on your feet. They don't even print the feet part, but they won't let you in with bare feet.

Being in the fun and exciting atmosphere of a cruise, I don't usually want to head back to my room and get dressed up to grab dinner. I also don't want to be stuck in the buffet.

DCL is the right line to try then - their dress code for the MDR is quite literally "anything but swimsuits and tank tops" so no need to back to your cabin to change unless you're planning to come directly from the pool.

DCL is the right line to try then - their dress code for the MDR is quite literally "anything but swimsuits and tank tops" so no need to back to your cabin to change unless you're planning to come directly from the pool.

And they don't even enforce those points.

I agree you totally, I've seen cruisers (older) so miserable that because their pizza isn't cooked well enough they yell at the servers, these are the same people who complain how someone dresses, or not dresses appropriately (in their minds) to dinner. It's a cruise, vacation, chill out or stay on land and drive your 13 year old car!

My Golly, I don't know if me and the misses can bring our 7 kids on board if ya all don't abid by the dress code. Here at home when we all go to our fancy Bob's Big Belly BBQ pit, we always dress up. No dirty coveralls allowed and you must takes the clods off a the boots. So we sure do hope when we get on board with our kids that ya all will behave.

My Golly, I don't know if me and the misses can bring our 7 kids on board if ya all don't abid by the dress code. Here at home when we all go to our fancy Bob's Big Belly BBQ pit, we always dress up. No dirty coveralls allowed and you must takes the clods off a the boots. So we sure do hope when we get on board with our kids that ya all will behave.

Haha! Great post!

As long as you and Ma and the 7 kids eat in the MDR's or buffet/evening restaurant, you will be fine ;)

I'm guessing Palo or Remy will not be to your taste if Bob's Big Belly BBQ pit is what you like :D:cool:

ex techie

Haha! Great post!

As long as you and Ma and the 7 kids eat in the MDR's or buffet/evening restaurant, you will be fine ;)

I'm guessing Palo or Remy will not be to your taste if Bob's Big Belly BBQ pit is what you like :D:cool:

ex techie

Amen!

As long as those denim overalls don't have holes in them, the adults are now welcome to dine in Palo - jeans are allowed as long as there are no holes in them.

+1!

ex techie

+2!

Nice jeans leaves too much to open interpretation. What denotes nice? If it's just no holes or tears, I have jeans that would qualify, but I would never consider wearing them to Palo. Part of dining in Palo is the experience and just like I don't mind paying the $30 for the privilege, I don't mind dressing up a little for the atmosphere.