Now these people DID miss the ship!

Ex techie

The wife was off the ship without the husband and kids, was late returning, the NCL ship waited an additional 30 minutes, he got off to find her, leaving the kids with family, and they missed the sailing.

No sympathy for them whatsoever, but a GREAT reminder to have some spare credit cards and BE ON TIME and well BEFORE ALL ABOARD!

[YOUTUBE]Woe0bSfbR0o[/YOUTUBE]

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

This is the subject of a 3 page thread on the Princess boards (it was an NCL ship). Bottom line...be back on time.

I agree, and I have also edited the subject to include NCL!

Sorry I forgot to include that!

ex techie

According to reports, the couple had other family on the vessel, so the Father went ashore to stay with the wife. The additional family watched the children. Seems that the Moms kneeing routine, was not well received by other guests on-board. She should have thought about that before she allowed herself to be late.

The vessel is heading to NY and the end of the cruise, so the kids will have 3 days worrying about their parents.

No sympathy here for the parents...........the on-board time is well posted...............announced many times...........

The people to be sad for is the poor kids, left with other family members yes, but worrying about their parents and what is going to happen.

The line is helping them get to NY, on their own dime.

AKK

Edited: Just read the article. The kids are 9 & 12 and with their uncle and cousins and the Dad got off the ship with his and his wife's travel docs knowing this was a possibility. I am certainly going to use this video to "remind" my family to watch the time-especially as my oldest is leaving on a 5 month around the world cruise soon.

Edited by Wheeling TravelingMom

I do not know what this Mom was doing ashore, however, somewhere I read that most of the people missing the vessel, are those drinking.:rolleyes:

IF you bingo google up the subject some videos are pretty funny watching stumbling guests running to try and catch the vessel. :D

AKK

Both my husband and myself are nuts about never being late, whether it's a vacation/cruise deadline, a work deadline, or a personal deadline. It sometimes diminishes our enjoyment of things, this need to be at X early, but the anxiety of being late isn't something either of us can do.

I think I won't show him this video. :)

Edited to Add: Sometimes I wish they had these kinds of repercussions for people who are chronically late to meetings at work.

Edited by CanadianDee

I wonder what they would have done if there was no other family (and the kids were left behind in the kids clubs).

Typically, the only options would be for dad to pack up everyone (with bags) and get off the ship. If he wants to ensure that his wife isn't left alone there.

Or, dad leaves mom's ID papers with the port authority for her to get and she handles her own transportation/hotels to get to the next port.

I have read, when kids were left on the ship with both parents left behind, the ship will assign a crew member to "babysit" the kids for the remainder of the cruise, until appropriate adult family members can pick them up. Of course, that's another cost added to the parent's onboard account - the babysitting fee.

Edited by Shmoo here

I have read, when kids were left on the ship with both parents left behind, the ship will assign a crew member to "babysit" the kids for the remainder of the cruise, until appropriate adult family members can pick them up. Of course, that's another cost added to the parent's onboard account - the babysitting fee.

that makes sense. I'd hate to see THAT bill! :p

that makes sense. I'd hate to see THAT bill! :p

Well that bill might double to what it could be as no CM is allowed to be alone with a minor, so a minimum of two CM's for round the clock care.

I think if it were a case of both parents or guardians injured whilst ashore and unable to return to the ship, DCL would comp the child care. But I could see them charging if they went ashore and got smashed in a bar or loosing track of time shopping.

ex techie