Missed port due to weather?

amydresh

I have heard a bit about not being able to dock in Grand Cayman because of weather with it being a tender port. We are very excited about Sting Ray City and I would be so bummed if we couldn't make it there. How often does it happen with weather preventing a port? We are going in mid Jan if that makes a difference.

I don't think it happens THAT often, but if it's unsafe, they will not stop. That can happen because of wind, mainly....or unusually rough seas from a weather front....time of year really has nothing to do with it!

Just keep your fingers crossed that you'll make it!

I don't think it happens THAT often, but if it's unsafe, they will not stop. That can happen because of wind, mainly....or unusually rough seas from a weather front....time of year really has nothing to do with it!

Thank you for your reply! I'm glad to hear it doesn't happen often, so the odds are in our favor. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for sure! ;)

We were there at the end of January this year and couldn't tender. 2 couples on the ship were due to get married there - cue frantic call outs to see if there was a minister on board. They found one and both got married on board in the theatre and invited anyone along who wanted to watch!

• 2 weeks later...
We were there at the end of January this year and couldn't tender. 2 couples on the ship were due to get married there - cue frantic call outs to see if there was a minister on board. They found one and both got married on board in the theatre and invited anyone along who wanted to watch!

I hope we have better luck in Jan! I would be really upset to miss it. Did you go somewhere else or just have an extra sea day for missing it?

January can be windy! I've missed it only once out of about 8 cruises stops there, but the one of them that was in January, most ships were unable to stop. Our ship went around the corner to Spotts and were able to tender there. Only two ships can tender from Spotts (I believe) so most of the other ships just sailed away for an additional sea day.

We were VERY disappointed to find out that our trip to Stingray City was also cancelled due to the rough water/wind. It was chilly and windy and there was really nothing to do but go to Hell for an hour, then walk around town. All watersports activities were cancelled. Bummer.

January can be windy! I've missed it only once out of about 8 cruises stops there, but the one of them that was in January, most ships were unable to stop. Our ship went around the corner to Spotts and were able to tender there. Only two ships can tender from Spotts (I believe) so most of the other ships just sailed away for an additional sea day.

We were VERY disappointed to find out that our trip to Stingray City was also cancelled due to the rough water/wind. It was chilly and windy and there was really nothing to do but go to Hell for an hour, then walk around town. All watersports activities were cancelled. Bummer.

Oh no, I guess we will know ahead of time that Jan can be a bad time and not hold out too much hope of going there. :(

Been to GC 5 times, 3 of the times ended up being sea days because of rough waters.

If water conditions are dangerous , they'll go on the other side of the island.

Never have we went to the other side of the island when can't tender, this was on Princess and Carnival. So, they don't always go to the other side, lots of times they make it a sea day.

• 1 year later...

I am interested in how often GC might be missed, the first of December.

I wonder if this is before the Winter winds really pick up????

Also, I understand that there is limited capacity to Tender from the other location.

They can not handle all the ships scheduled.

So, some ships might get luck of the draw???

Grand Cayman is one Island that we have not visited, and we REALLY do not want to miss due to rough seas!