Snorkeling from shore

Speedy55

We are going on a cruise that stops in Antigua in March. Can someone please help narrow our options down for getting a cab to the beach and back? It is my husband, myself and 2 teen daughters. We would like a place that has chair rental, restrooms and a place to buy refreshments. We don't drink alcohol so that's not an issue. Most importantly is the snorkeling and ease of getting a cab to the beach.

Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Speedy55

We are going on a cruise that stops in Antigua in March. Can someone please help narrow our options down for getting a cab to the beach and back? It is my husband, myself and 2 teen daughters. We would like a place that has chair rental, restrooms and a place to buy refreshments. We don't drink alcohol so that's not an issue. Most importantly is the snorkeling and ease of getting a cab to the beach.

Thank you

The only place of any note (from the beach) is the top end of Half Moon Bay. Not brilliant but a good variety of fish. There are chairs and refreshments available. No problem with a taxi.

Thank you

We love Fort James Beach, close to port but you still need a taxi. It is just sand though, so while floating and relaxing is great, not much for snorkeling.

• 5 weeks later...

I agree with above poster. Half moon beach. Very far from port. Rent a car. There is a place to get drinks and food. No chairs. We actually have hammocks that we use for places like these that have been helpful. Its about 45 minutes from port. It may be cheaper to rent car but a taxi will know where to go. Your kids will love this beach

Darkwood has some half decent snorkeling (if the seas are relatively calm) off to its left side (there is actually a reef). It also has a beach bar/cafe who handles chair rentals, food, drink and has restrooms. Another advantage is it is very close to the road where there is a bus stop. The downside is that its a pretty long taxi ride from town (which is why we usually take a local bus).

Hank