So, what happens when...

Runaway Parent

I'm looking at the availability on our cruise for March 14th. There are still 84 ocean view cabins, 3 junior suites, and 9 grand suites waiting to be sold. I'm assuming this is why our cabin is "waiting to be assigned" yet.

I'm curious what will happen to the prices at this rate. They dropped significantly in mid-January, but now are up $20 pp for ocean view. That still seems like a lot of cabins left!

Can I cross my fingers and hope for the upgrade fairy to call, or is that unlikely when it's grand suites that seem likely to be open?

I don't think you can really say that there are 'all those' cabins waiting to be sold. Most of that space might be already gone...by selling guarantees that are not yet assigned.

Think about it this way. There are 20 staterooms showing as 'available', so one individual can select the specific stateroom they want. But there might be 10 guarantees in that category not yet assigned, so in reality only 10 cabins are available...they just aren't assigned yet.

Once they sell enough assigned rooms and have an equal number of available rooms and guarantees, then suddenly the list of available rooms goes away and they assign.

I'm not saying this is how it really works, but it makes sense...and is possible.

I don't think you can really say that there are 'all those' cabins waiting to be sold. Most of that space might be already gone...by selling guarantees that are not yet assigned.

Think about it this way. There are 20 staterooms showing as 'available', so one individual can select the specific stateroom they want. But there might be 10 guarantees in that category not yet assigned, so in reality only 10 cabins are available...they just aren't assigned yet.

Once they sell enough assigned rooms and have an equal number of available rooms and guarantees, then suddenly the list of available rooms goes away and they assign.

I'm not saying this is how it really works, but it makes sense...and is possible.

Very good point-- I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!