Anything I should know about having a balcony cabin?

IPlayWithString

We've had both and usually prefer an inside because DH has migraines. Inside cabins are perfect for when he gets migraines because he can make it totally dark in the cabin when he needs to rest.

But for some reason this time he got a balcony. Dunno why..new experiences I suppose.:D

Balconies are the best! We love to have breakfast out there after watching the sunrise. We normally order room service coffee and then I run up to Lido for some arepas and Hueveros rancheros from blue iguana.

In the afternoon I often take a nap on the balcony.

After dinner my DH and I always sit out in the dark and listen to the water and drink wine.

Then, if the situation is right, we take advantage of the fact the sofa cushion will fit on the balcony.

Enjoy your balcony and remember, it's addictive.

Edited by wantocruisemore

We used to always do insides. Then we tried a balcony and now that's all we want. I love walking into my room and seeing sunshine pouring in. I also love to hear the ocean and smell the ocean breeze anytime I want because it's just a step away. No pushy crowds to deal with during sail away. It's just us on our balcony during sail away or as we approach a port or leave a port. We love to sit on our balcony and watch last minute stragglers running to the ship, or in some instances crawling and stumbling (too many drinks lol). :rolleyes: But my favorite thing about the balcony is when we sit out there and enjoy a glass of wine (we bring a couple bottles on board) and just relax and listen to the ocean. My second favorite thing is when my husband wakes us up with platters of bacon, eggs, toast, fruit etc. for a leisurely breakfast in my Jammie's on the balcony.

Is there anything you should know about Balcony cabins? Yes- you will have a blast!! Coffee with Breakfast in the am, mid-afternoon drinks, sunshine, sea, salt, spray, (maybe), drinks at night in the dark, watching a lightning storm way off:D:D:D in the distance, sunrise, sunset- enjoy!!

Balconies are the best! We love to have breakfast out there after watching the sunrise. We normally order room service coffee and then I run up to Lido for some arepas and Hueveros rancheros from blue iguana.

In the afternoon I often take a nap on the balcony.

After dinner my DH and I always sit out in the dark and listen to the water and drink wine.

Then, if the situation is right, we take advantage of the fact the sofa cushion will fit on the balcony.

Enjoy your balcony and remember, it's addictive.

Exactly this. Room service coffee on the balcony, watching the ship come into ports and leave ports on the balcony, night caps on the balcony...we spent so much time on our balcony and loved every minute. They are incredibly addictive as we have an OV on our next and we're already praying for the upsell fairy :D

1. Balconies are the best hairdryers at sea.

2. If in the Caribbean, be sure to watch for flying fish...and maybe dolphins.

3. You aren't supposed to leave clothing/towels/etc. on the balcony because it is a fire hazard, especially if someone flicks ashes overboard (which they are not supposed to do) and it blows back onto the balcony.

4. Unless you have a really large balcony (such as Vista balcony or a suite), there really isn't a lot of room. While seated, probably less than a foot between you and the glass edge.

5. Balconies are awesome.

The doors will slam shut so make sure you close and dont let it close on its own.

This!!!! ^^^^^^

I hate being next to people who allow the door slamming, I try to be respectful of everyone's desire to keep whatever hours they prefer while on vacation!

We're going to have our first balcony cabin on our upcoming Spring Break trip.

Anything special I need to know about balcony cabins?

I also don't really care for a balcony cabin because of inconsiderate neighbors who will slam the balcony door at all hours of the night especially if they are drunk and some will have sex on the balcony and the woman screaming and yelling, get the picture. Give me a quiet inside room and we save lots of $$$.

Watch out for opening the cabin door if someone is has the balcony door open. Learned that when DH & I went out for an adult night.

My mom (who was staying in the next room and we had the balcony partitions opened) decided to sit out on the balcony with the balcony door wedged so she could hear if the kid woke up. Holy wind tunnel!!

Nothing better than ordering room service coffee to have on your private veranda in the morning.

Late at night sitting out with a cocktail watching the lights on far off islands and passing ships in the distance.

We are not lido deck people and so we spend lots of time on our balcony! Coffee, wine, sun bathing, fresh air, room service, sail away and coming into ports! Last cruise my husband set up the GoPro and we got great time lapse videos. Last cruise we had the extra long aft on the Freedom. Will never go back! Also can not remember a single time being woken by noise or slamming.

I promise not to let the door slam..I can't stand slamming doors AT HOME because it sets my nerves on edge.

I *don't* think we'll be joining The Balcony Club..:eek: We're not young and stupid anymore.:D

I'm not terribly modest..but I don't think anybody wants to see THIS old lady's body nekkid. :eek:Except for my DH of course.:D

Bath robes fit the chairs well, make less grid marks on your other end that way.

foot stools fit on balc - give you a recliner sort of feel - have to take in back in each time.

Always get a balcony every cruise every cruise line!!! You will love it..

If and it is very rare now - you find someone smoking, do not speak to them, go to your room staff person and make a complaint - it will stop!

Enjoy!!

Don't forget to turn off the light.

If neighbor is slamming door or leaving light on, write a note and put it in their mailbox. Usually works well.

Great to sit on the balcony and read while sipping on your smuggled drink...

The doors really do slam hard.

If going to the Caribbean, port side has a lot of sun on the return trip, balcony too hot to enjoy.

If you can snare one of the bowling alley balconies, those are nice. An extended balcony is also better.

My first balcony was actually on my second cruise. Warning: its very hard to go back once you have had this type of room! I always put out my room service card the night before and enjoy my coffee and book in the morning.

Its very nice to have some outdoor space.

One of my favorite aspects of a balcony room is sitting out there as you are going into port, or even better waking up in port! When you day is over fun to watch the passengers get back on board and the occasional "pier runner".

Also really nice to sit out there while your cabin mate is getting ready for dinner.

I am a night owl, often up and down. Great to have a space to read while others are sleeping.