Power strip with NO surge protection

abcoltsfan

Does anyone have any recommendations on a power strip that does not have surge protection. I know that is Carnivals policy and have been looking to find one to buy, but everything I have found is surge protected. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

We got ours at home depot. Just an added note I had to remind a friend, a power strip with an on/off switch is acceptable. She was sure that was a surge protector.

Thanks for mentioning that! I didn't know that either. Makes things a lot easier.

I knew that I wanted to buy a regular power strip that did not have a surge protector. Finding one was easy. Those that do have a surge protector are marked on the packaging. I also knew that I didn't want one with a long cord. No need for one with a three foot (or longer) cord that's going to be lying on the vanity. I found some that have a 1.5 ft. cord, with six outlets. Perfect! :) I found them at Meijer. If there's one in your area, the power strips are in their little hardware section. $3.99 ea. ;)

I have a Belkin brand - it's not a strip, but rather a bar that plugs right into the outlet. Mine only has two outlets, giving only one additional, but it also has 2 USB ports.

If it's the Belkin one that has been mentioned previously in other threads on this same topic has a surge protector and should not be used.

Yes, inexpensive power strips won't have things like "so many joules of protection" or "so much clamping voltage" noted on the packaging. If you want to go online, monster brand power strips have some that are not surge suppressors. If you want USB ports, or combination outlet and USB, "powercube-usa.com" has an entire line that are not surge suppressors.

And, yes, virtually every Belkin "wall wart" is a surge suppressor, and should not be used, whether it has gotten by security or not. It is not safe.

Edited by chengkp75

Yes, inexpensive power strips won't have things like "so many joules of protection" or "so much clamping voltage" noted on the packaging. If you want to go online, monster brand power strips have some that are not surge suppressors. If you want USB ports, or combination outlet and USB, "powercube-usa.com" has an entire line that are not surge suppressors.

And, yes, virtually every Belkin "wall wart" is a surge suppressor, and should not be used, whether it has gotten by security or not. It is not safe.

Well now I want a powercube - those look great - but when I look under the "shop" tab, they all indicate that they have power surge (specifically looking at the 5ft w/usb). Am I looking in the wrong area or reading this wrong?

Well now I want a powercube - those look great - but when I look under the "shop" tab, they all indicate that they have power surge (specifically looking at the 5ft w/usb). Am I looking in the wrong area or reading this wrong?

It's strange. What started me to these products was a review by PC World that lauded them, except for the fact that they did not have surge suppressors. Nothing in the product specs calls them out as having surge suppressors, except, as you say, at the purchase page. I will contact them to see.

If you really want to be safe I would just by a 3-outlet tap and a short heavy duty extension cord.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EU4HBO?psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-105296-1-Feet-16AWG-Extension/dp/B0087G5JR8/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1454536857&sr=1-1&keywords=1+foot+extension+cord

Or Home depot sells this 2 foot cord with 3 outlet tap attached.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/2-ft-12-3-STW-3-Outlet-Extension-Cord-Red-and-Black-AW62612/100661429

Also today there is a fire sell going for usb power hubs. See this article. I just bought 3 of them. Make sure you use the promo code listed in the article at amazon checkout.

http://www.wfaa.com/money/personal-finance/ways-to-save/charge-all-your-tech-80-faster-for-10/31308579

That is exactly what I use now too. On power strips and extension cords the plugs are too close together for some of the camera and tablet chargers we carry.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a power strip that does not have surge protection. I know that is Carnivals policy and have been looking to find one to buy, but everything I have found is surge protected. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

I've been on 29 Carnival cruises and always pack a power strip WITH surge protection and have never had an issue. So my advice is to not worry about this.

I've been on 29 Carnival cruises and always pack a power strip WITH surge protection and have never had an issue. So my advice is to not worry about this.

This is a new rule as of a few weeks ago after a surge protector caused a fire on a ship with an electrical systems similar to the one Carnival uses.

I hope they confiscate it and throw it out! It is a true hazard and I don't appreciate my family's or my safety being compromised because some people don't follow the rules. This isn't a case of Carnival worrying about losing revenue such as the Cheers package or whatever. People's lives are at stake. Just because it hasn't caused a problem before doesn't mean it won't the next time.

I have a Belkin brand - it's not a strip, but rather a bar that plugs right into the outlet. Mine only has two outlets, giving only one additional, but it also has 2 USB ports.

I have one similar to this we take on every trip Belkin SurgePlus It's 3 outlet and 2 USB ports. The USB ports are 2.1 AMP / 10 Watt so they will charge your tablet as well as your phone. The power plug also rotates 360 degrees so you can adjust it based on your needs.

I have one similar to this we take on every trip Belkin SurgePlus It's 3 outlet and 2 USB ports. The USB ports are 2.1 AMP / 10 Watt so they will charge your tablet as well as your phone. The power plug also rotates 360 degrees so you can adjust it based on your needs.

If it has "Surge" in the name it is NOT allowed. I don't get what is so hard for people to understand about this. It is a fire hazard. Y'all might not mind being turned into human BBQ in the middle of the ocean, but I do! Get with the program or stay home - PLEASE!!!

Edited by firemanbobswife

If it has "Surge" in the name it is NOT allowed. I don't get what is so hard for people to understand about this. It is a fire hazard. Y'all might not mind being turned into human BBQ in the middle of the ocean, but I do! Get with the program or stay home - PLEASE!!!

Wow, sorry. I'm not trying to offend. I honestly didn't read the entire thread I thought they were asking for a power strip or surge protector as a general term and didn't realize that Carnival had made a policy change. I've been sailing on Carnival for 15 years with a surge protector with me and would be doing so again on my next cruise too if I didn't re-read this thread.

Has Carnival announced this change some place or just put it in small print some place?

Wow, sorry. I'm not trying to offend. I honestly didn't read the entire thread I thought they were asking for a power strip or surge protector as a general term and didn't realize that Carnival had made a policy change. I've been sailing on Carnival for 15 years with a surge protector with me and would be doing so again on my next cruise too if I didn't re-read this thread.

Has Carnival announced this change some place or just put it in small print some place?

Sorry, didn't mean to jump all over you specifically. It's just that I take the safety of myself and my family very seriously and it maddens me to no end when you get people saying they don't care because they've done it for so many years and will continue to do so even though they have been told of the risks.

Drink yourself stupid by sharing a Cheers package and smuggle all the booze you want. But do NOT put my life on the line because you're too greedy and cheap to go buy a power strip that conforms to the rules to ensure EVERYONE is safe (again, not you in particular and I'm glad to see that now that you are made aware that I'm sure you will do the right thing and get an alternate). Dying in a fire is not the way I care to go out - cruise ship or not. Especially if it is preventable by people not being Jackwagons.

I don't know exactly when it was put into place. Perhaps this is a reminder to us all whether veteran cruisers or newbies that it's a good idea to read the rules and regulations prior to booking and embarking on our next voyage no matter which cruise line it is. Things can and do change all the time.

This is a new rule as of a few weeks ago after a surge protector caused a fire on a ship with an electrical systems similar to the one Carnival uses.

this is not a new rule. I would say this has been out there for at least a year if not more. I have read about this on cc for a long time

The following is from Carnival's website ...

Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords (without surge protectors) are allowed on board when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

Here is the link ...

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2261/kw/luggage%20restrictions/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ1NDU0NjYyOC9zaWQvR2EyT3ZiSW0%3D