Anthem Of The Seas: standard balcony cabins are really nice!

I have to give a big pat on the back to whoever designed the standard balcony cabins on Anthem Of The Seas. They did a REALLY nice job... incorporating some really smart design features in to the cabin to make some great improvements over the balcony cabins on other cruise ships I've been on.

One good example of the thoughtful design:

The curtains use a two-track system. In other words, the left half of the curtains are on one track and the right half of the curtains have their own track. The reason this is smart is that when you go to close the curtains, you can overlap them by a good 12 inches or so. This allows you to completely black out the cabin... great if you like to take naps mid-day, or if you like to sleep in past sunrise. Most cruise ship curtains just have one track. Where the left and right meet in the middle put can't overlap... so it's hard to completely black out the cabin, as there is always a little gap between the curtains.

Another example:

There's a 110 volt AC outlet next to the bed. This is perfect for people who use a CPAP machine at night, or for anyone who wants their phone to charge at night but wants to keep it next to them as they sleep. (For example, to use it as a clock in the morning.) In addition to the power outlet at the bed, there are two at the desk, plus two USB charging ports. So, you could actually charge FOUR electronic items at the desk at the same time, without the need for bringing a power strip. Thank you Royal Caribbean, for recognizing that folks in 2016 bring multiple gadgets that all need to be charged at night! Also, the two AC outlets at the desk are far enough apart that when you plug a battery charger in to one, it does not block the other outlet. Very smart.

Those are just two small examples of the smart design they used in the cabins on Anthem Of The Seas. To see more, take a look at this cabin tour video that I put together:

LOL! It's a pet peeve of mine too. You'd think it wouldn't be too difficult for this nice convenience.

Started on Oasis class and now seems to be continuing on newer ships. I thought when we got a JS on Oasis, we would have drawers, but not there either. Maybe it's an incentive to book the Royal Suite.:rolleyes:

I found your video on Youtube yesterday when searching for Anthem balcony cabins. Great job and it's one of the most comprehensive videos. I'm not sure why some people post their videos, but yours was definitely one of the top three about Anthem cabins. There's at least one that is about the balcony cabin that isn't more than 40 seconds long:rolleyes:

Edited by BND

Couldn't agree more OP -- best designed standard balcony cabin I've ever stayed in. It's really amazing how much floor space they were able to create in a cabin that isn't that much bigger than those on the most recent classes of ship. First time we weren't really stepping over each other.

Excellent video, this will be very useful to people.

I still don't undertand why the newer ships can't have drawers in the nightstand.

Maybe its a weight thing, 5lbs of drawers x 2000 cabins is 10,000 lbs. IDK, its a stretch.....:D

I have to give a big pat on the back to whoever designed the standard balcony cabins on Anthem Of The Seas. They did a REALLY nice job... incorporating some really smart design features in to the cabin to make some great improvements over the balcony cabins on other cruise ships I've been on.

One good example of the thoughtful design:

The curtains use a two-track system. In other words, the left half of the curtains are on one track and the right half of the curtains have their own track. The reason this is smart is that when you go to close the curtains, you can overlap them by a good 12 inches or so. This allows you to completely black out the cabin... great if you like to take naps mid-day, or if you like to sleep in past sunrise. Most cruise ship curtains just have one track. Where the left and right meet in the middle put can't overlap... so it's hard to completely black out the cabin, as there is always a little gap between the curtains.

Another example:

There's a 110 volt AC outlet next to the bed. This is perfect for people who use a CPAP machine at night, or for anyone who wants their phone to charge at night but wants to keep it next to them as they sleep. (For example, to use it as a clock in the morning.) In addition to the power outlet at the bed, there are two at the desk, plus two USB charging ports. So, you could actually charge FOUR electronic items at the desk at the same time, without the need for bringing a power strip. Thank you Royal Caribbean, for recognizing that folks in 2016 bring multiple gadgets that all need to be charged at night! Also, the two AC outlets at the desk are far enough apart that when you plug a battery charger in to one, it does not block the other outlet. Very smart.

Those are just two small examples of the smart design they used in the cabins on Anthem Of The Seas. To see more, take a look at this cabin tour video that I put together:

Hi, what a great job with this video! Thank you so much. We will be sailing on her Oct. 29, 11th deck regular balcony cabin (D6).... So looking forward to this cruise. Hope they work out the dining issues way before then. We're already signed up for Dynamic at 7i:15, our choice of restaurants. Really hope we can keep this plan. Thanks again and if you have an info you'd like to share, we'll listening. We live in NJ so no flying required....almost the best part of the trip :-)

Safe travels always.

Edited by UandMe4Ever

Outstanding review!! Very comprehensive, explains the new designs very well. Plus, I can understand you. I assume you did an overdub with the sound? Or, you have an incredible mic on your camera. Well done, thank you!

Nice job! But you forgot to show how the TV pulls out and swivels from the wall.

You're absolutely right. My apologies. I wish I had remembered to show that. It swivels so that it can face the couch and you can comfortably watch from there.

If you have an info you'd like to share, we'll listening.

I've got LOTS more information to share about Anthem Of The Seas. I'll put it in to a full review of our cruise... which will be posted here on Cruise Critic somewhere around two weeks from now. It takes a while to pull all the pictures and videos and information together.

I assume you did an overdub with the sound? Or, you have an incredible mic on your camera.

After watching LOTS of YouTube videos over the years, I have learned that audio quality sets the best videos apart from the rest. So, I pay particular attention to that. I don't use the on-camera mic at all. I used an external mic, clipped on to my shirt anchorman-style, and narrated the video as I was shooting it.

Also, if anyone noticed that the camera work was not your standard shaky hand-held YouTube stuff...

I used a DJI Osmo camera, which is a stabilized video camera. That way, you get a smooth shot without shakiness, even though you are walking around with the camera and holding it in your hand. Cool technology, and it works fairly well.

Did you store your luggage under the bed? If so, was it tight getting it under?

We stored three large suitcases under the bed, plus several other items. It was not tight at all. There's lots of room down there.

Oh, speaking of the three suitcases...

Surprisingly, my wife can do a 12-day cruise with just ONE suitcase! Pretty impressive, I think. I require two, due to all the camera/sound/lighting/computer gear.

We stored three large suitcases under the bed, plus several other items. It was not tight at all. There's lots of room down there.

Surprisingly, my wife can do a 12-day cruise with just ONE suitcase! Pretty impressive, I think. I require two, due to all the camera/sound/lighting/computer gear.

I agree, that is impressive. We need one bag for shoes.

Thank you!